Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Tilson Thomas asks moo to change seat, moo leaves...let the butthurt begin! (you go Mr. Thomas! smiling smiley

Posted by Peace 
In a nutshell, a moo and loaf have prime seats directly in front of the conductor. Those seats are outrageously expensive. Loaf is being "restless," so much so that Tilson Thomas asks them to change seats, instead moo leaves the concert hall, and the lowing begins. Thomas has to to bitch and backpedal in his explanation, but the problem was fixed. Moo left. I'm sure the surrounding audience members were thrilled to have her go with the kid, because now they can enjoy the performance without kid distractions.

Speaking as a classical musician, some of the most annoying things out there are little kids in concert halls. A restless kid ruins the performance for others nearby. Being onstage, the first thing a musician will see is a noisy. wiggling loaf. There are many classical venues which parents can use to introduce kids to the classical arts. They could even stream wqxr.org to their computers, plug in some external speakers, and have glorious music throughout the house. Don't bring your kid to a concert hall if they can't sit through the performance.

click me
It's annoying how the comments take him to task instead of the rude Moo who brought her crotch nugget to an inappropriate venue.

Supposed eyewitness reports are divergent, but the fact that the audience clapped says all we need to know.

It's too bad parents have to be shamed into doing their job.
This is again typical selfish breeder behavior, except this time it's on a higher cultural level but even this doesn't seem to have helped much. smile rolling left righteyes2

My parents, esp. my mother, have always been obsessed with classical music, but they didn't start dragging me along to concerts until I was 12. By then, I knew to behave, but I'd still get bored to death every time . Bottom line is, serious classical concerts are not for chyldrun, period. Get a damn babysitter for your progeny, if you can afford those seats, you can definitely afford to pay someone to look after your kyds for a few hours.
Totally inappropriate place for a kyd who can't sit still and be silent. Moo and Shitleigh were being unfair to the performers and everyone else who paid for a ticket. angry flipping off

The conductor absolutely did the right thing.
Many years ago, I used to go to live theatre performances several times per month.
As the years went by, a new problem started developing in frequency.
We had similar issues with crying and fussing babies in the audience.
Eventually, I got so frustrated that I stopped going at all.

No one audience member deserve the right to disturb the performers and ruin the experience for other audience members.
Most concert halls that I know have 'famblee' events on Saturday or Sunday afternoons which are intended to introduce young children to classical music through some of the simple and enduring pieces. So why do I still encounter babies and very young children at concerts, I'd like to know. I can forgive a cough, but everyone knows that babies cry and young children are restless. As an audience member I would applaud the removal of an ill-behaved person, but I think the real fault lies with the hall which didn't turn her away at the door. They could already avoid a lot of this even without a firm policy against babies by simply charging full price for every person who attends.
yurble
but I think the real fault lies with the hall which didn't turn her away at the door.

Completely agree. I recently attended a ballet performance where the minimum admission age was 16. The ballet in question was an adaptation of 'Anna Karenina', which is a very dark tale featuring adultery, lust, opium and suicide.
Despite the stated age restriction a couple brought their toadler. The thing started to whine twice, thank dog the whining didn't escalate into a full-blown screamfest, but still, it was extremely distracting and highly annoying. Why the hell didn't these idiots get turned down at the door? They should've been given an ultimatum: Either you get rid of Toadleigh or you don't get to see the performance. :headbrick
rockchick
yurble
but I think the real fault lies with the hall which didn't turn her away at the door.

Completely agree. I recently attended a ballet performance where the minimum admission age was 16. The ballet in question was an adaptation of 'Anna Karenina', which is a very dark tale featuring adultery, lust, opium and suicide.
Despite the stated age restriction a couple brought their toadler. The thing started to whine twice, thank dog the whining didn't escalate into a full-blown screamfest, but still, it was extremely distracting and highly annoying. Why the hell didn't these idiots get turned down at the door? They should've been given an ultimatum: Either you get rid of Toadleigh or you don't get to see the performance. :headbrick

I had that very discussion several times at each of the live performance venues and the management was unwilling to adapt a 'no kids' policy, even at adult events.
I started the discussion gently and cooperatively assuming that there would be some chance at discouraging any disruptive patrons.

Both parents and some managers argued that as long as the parents were willing to remove the disrupting child until they settled- that all was well.

We got to witness how unsettling the disruption is the concentration for live performers and how a row of people had to accommodate the (temporarily) leaving families entrance and exit multiple times.

The wailing could be heard from the lobby and was as disruptive as major construction equipment noise.

I argued about what exactly a non-fee paying baby was getting out of a live theater production with adult themes.

They seemed deaf to the concept that it was already being a disruption to both performers and 99% of the paying audience every time the 'child alarm went off.'.

Since they were still willfully oblivious to their disruption, I offered to start bringing an air horn to each performance and would randomly discharge it about 5-7 times per performance, but ' would allow my own little noisy air horn to settle down between disruptions.'
breeders just need to stay home. end of story.
A good friend of mine is a classical oboeist. This is becoming a common problem.

OH and I went to see her once and there were at least three under-fives in that audience. None of them kicked off, fortunately, but kids are not predictable, and in the interval, we saw one of them whining and crying about being bored and too hot and thirsty and everything else that kyds whine about. I can't blame them really - why the fuck would anyone think that a classical concert is any kind of place for a small child, unless it's a family/child-oriented one?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login