Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Huffpo article about young women who want to be sterilized

Posted by aliceblue 
Huffpo article about young women who want to be sterilized
October 24, 2014
"Meet The 20-Somethings Who Want To Be Sterilized" So far the comments are very positive.

LInk
Re: Huffpo article about young women who want to be sterilized
October 24, 2014
I was very surprised about the positivity here. Very pleased indeed.
October 27, 2014
Article forgot to mention that if a guy wants to get fixed, there is almost zero resistance. With women, there bingos.
October 28, 2014
Last week I went for my consultation to get a vasectomy. The doctor asks me how many children I have, their age and the age of my partner. As a single guy with no kids, I answered No on all counts and he didn't bingo me or anything, which was a pleasant surprise.

I was expecting to have an argument or bingoes, but nothing. Turns out I'm not a good candidate for his method, but that's another story...
October 29, 2014
keeper of traken
Last week I went for my consultation to get a vasectomy. The doctor asks me how many children I have, their age and the age of my partner. As a single guy with no kids, I answered No on all counts and he didn't bingo me or anything, which was a pleasant surprise.

I was expecting to have an argument or bingoes, but nothing. Turns out I'm not a good candidate for his method, but that's another story...

Sorry to hear that. Have you tried another doctor yet? I guess I was lucky, my doctor was glad to do it for me and I was 32 at the time. Best decision I could have made.

If you haven't already, check out vasectomy-information.com. Some good info there.

Good luck to you.
October 29, 2014
keeper of traken

There are mostly 2 methods out there. One is a no scalpel kind and another is a traditional kind. Both methods are equally effective, not all doctors perform both kinds.

I would recommend that you visit a larger sized urology clinic, the kind that has many doctors in it. You chances are higher to find a doctor in a place like that.

Also, don't worry too much about bingos. Being a dude, you won't get very many. It is not impossible to get bingos but chances are not very high.
October 30, 2014
Techie

There are mostly 2 methods out there. One is a no scalpel kind and another is a traditional kind. Both methods are equally effective, not all doctors perform both kinds.

I would recommend that you visit a larger sized urology clinic, the kind that has many doctors in it. You chances are higher to find a doctor in a place like that.

Also, don't worry too much about bingos. Being a dude, you won't get very many. It is not impossible to get bingos but chances are not very high.

The doctor I saw only performs the no-scalpel vasectomy. After the consultation, he got me an appointment to see a urologist next month, so hopefully they can help me. In any case, my quest continues..
October 30, 2014
keeper of traken
Techie

The doctor I saw only performs the no-scalpel vasectomy. After the consultation, he got me an appointment to see a urologist next month, so hopefully they can help me. In any case, my quest continues..

I had the traditional kind done in 2000 and so far, no problems. The only regret I have about it is I didn't get it done sooner.
October 30, 2014
keeper of traken
Techie

Several doctors can perform vasectomies, but if you are going to see a urologist, that is your best bet since urologists probably do the most vasectomies. A urologist will likely be able to perform it without issues.
October 31, 2014
Thanks Techie and JohnDrake for the replies and info. grinning smiley

Back to the article for a moment. On the one hand I understand that doctors are worried about people regretting being sterilized, but on the other hand I don't understand why doctors wouldn't sterilize someone, man or woman. After all, the doctors are getting paid for these procedures(whether through insurance or directly from the client)

As long as the doctors inform people that it's permanent and that, should the person change their mind and try for a reversal, that it might not work. And if they do go for a reversal, that's more money for the doctors.

Adults make all kinds of decisions, some of which they regret. If someone gets sterilized and ends up regretting it later, my thoughts are too bad, so sad. Regret later on is no reason to deny an adult the right to chose what to do with their bodies.

Just my two cents
October 31, 2014
keeper of traken
Thanks Techie and JohnDrake for the replies and info. grinning smiley

Back to the article for a moment. On the one hand I understand that doctors are worried about people regretting being sterilized, but on the other hand I don't understand why doctors wouldn't sterilize someone, man or woman. After all, the doctors are getting paid for these procedures(whether through insurance or directly from the client)

As long as the doctors inform people that it's permanent and that, should the person change their mind and try for a reversal, that it might not work. And if they do go for a reversal, that's more money for the doctors.

Adults make all kinds of decisions, some of which they regret. If someone gets sterilized and ends up regretting it later, my thoughts are too bad, so sad. Regret later on is no reason to deny an adult the right to chose what to do with their bodies.

Just my two cents

My doctor told me that the patient should view the procedure as permanent, even though it isn't since reversal methods have improved and become more successful. I told him I understood it was permanent and he agreed to do the procedure.

I do hope yo are able to find a doctor to do the procedure. Good luck.
October 31, 2014
Why won't doctors sterilize women and turn down the revenue for the procedure, I really cannot explain. What I also cannot explain is the gender bias. Very few men are denied a vasectomy. Many women are denied tubal ligation. If this is not discrimination then I don't know what is. Why aren't doctors getting sued for this is a very good question.
October 31, 2014
Techie
Why won't doctors sterilize women and turn down the revenue for the procedure, I really cannot explain. What I also cannot explain is the gender bias. Very few men are denied a vasectomy. Many women are denied tubal ligation. If this is not discrimination then I don't know what is. Why aren't doctors getting sued for this is a very good question.

Female reproductive equipment is considered a public matter. Women's bodies in general are often considered public property. It doesn't surprise me in the least that it's easier for men to get sterilized. And yes, it is blatant sexism.
October 31, 2014
Techie

One theory I have heard before is: Sterilizing women is bad for business. A urologist will do a vasectomy because most men don't go to doctors much so getting a man to come to a doctor voluntarily at all is a profit even though it is a one-shot deal. But women of child-bearing age are a revenue source (I don't really think that way personally but I think some do). Women see doctors more often and have things done like Pap tests and mammograms but when a woman is pregnant, especially for the OBs, there are pregnancy visits, deliveries, Ceserean sections, induced labor, not to mention all the Jon and Kate and IVF that couples spend money on and when the woman has another kid, the same cycle of revenue starts all over again. Not to mention all the business for their pediatrician and child psychology colleagues - I wonder if maybe OB/GYNs get a kickback from their colleagues to keep the kids coming. This also ties into employer-provided health insurance - Better stay with a hubby with a good corporate job (often a surly engineer) to keep the insurance to pay for the babies and the kids, so that he keeps working, working, working for "the man" all the time. And lets not forget all the school jobs, all the diaper makers, the kindercrap manufacturers, the toy stores that all rely on the doctors making women have babies.

If a doctor does an operation to render a woman sterile, they get paid for the operation and follow up visits but the money ends there. Maybe she will come back for Pap tests (I know, Fox news is wrong and you can't get one at Walgreens) and mammograms but that's it. I do wonder why doctors don't get sued for not sterilizing but the economic gravy train above might have something to do with it.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login