Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The Goldbergs TV Show-Is anyone else here annoyed by Beverly, the moo?

Posted by golden commando 
My family and I like to watch a show called the "The Goldbergs". It's about a man looking back at growing up during the 80s. Most of the characters are exaggerations of his real-life family, but one seems rather extreme and that's his mother. In real life, she looks like a nice person, but in the show she's an obnoxious, controlling, bullying moocow. I've gotten to the point where I fantasize about hitting her with a fully loaded dump truck. What's worse is, my mother identifies with her, even though she's absolutely nothing like Beverly- she's smart, funny, and she doesn't want us tied to her for all eternity. Also, Beverly always has an excuse for her obnoxious control-freak behavior, such as "Her Nana died when she was 17." in fact, this character is so unpleasant, when her kids defy her, I root for them. Does anybody else find her that obnoxious, or is it just me?
Re: The Goldbergs TV Show-Is anyone else here annoyed by Beverly, the moo?
November 22, 2014
I've never seen the show, but I do know the actress who plays Beverly, Wendi McLendon-Covey, is childfree. She might be basing her portrayal on many obnoxious moos she knows in real life.
shrug
Ah, I never knew that! That would explain a lot. I always wondered why Beverly would be unbearable for the majority of an episode, then suddenly turn nice at the end. It just looked like a cop out.
Re: The Goldbergs TV Show-Is anyone else here annoyed by Beverly, the moo?
November 24, 2014
I find her character annoying but at the same time, very real. There are plenty of mothers out there like her who try to control every aspect of thier childrens' lives, get involved in things they shouldn't, etc. It was a recent episode in which she got her son's teacher fired over a dodge ball incident that rang true with me. She's walking down the hall of the school and teachers are all running way from her, hiding in classrooms, etc. because they're so scared of her. Back then, every school I think had at least one parent like her who would be at the school raising hell over the slightest things. The difference was back then, these parents were the minority, now they are commonplace.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login