Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Things moms aren't Thankful for: more self-inflicted stress and work

Posted by randomcfchick 
Things moms aren't Thankful for: more self-inflicted stress and work
November 24, 2014
http://www.scarymommy.com/not-thankful-for-on-thanksgiving/

Yep, another piece about how much Thanksgiving sux when you're the mommy. So much sexist fail in this one. Even if you set aside the fact that they didn't have to have kids weren't required to invite the extended family for Thanksgiving, there are still so many avoidable "problems".

-The author assumes that Moms are the only ones working in the kitchen.

-Forgetting an item on the list does NOT necessarily mean running back to the store. Sure, some stuff's essential. But you can prepare some dishes differently, or skip them entirely, if it's just a side dish.

-If kids whine about the Macy's parade being on instead of being able to use the Xbox, tough shit. If they can't be shooed away to do something else, then you've raised a whiny, spoiled brat.

-Making plates for all the kids: why does this fall on the moms? Where are the other adults? I recall sitting at the table at Grandma's, and whatever older relative happened to be near the young 'uns helped them get what they wanted from the spread on the table. We actually passed dishes around. Moms sat down and ate.

-Guests who leave early: now you know, and you can decide whether to invite them next year. Or just don't take their stupid, consumerist shopping plans too personally. They wanna battle crowds and buy crap? Let 'em. Sit around and enjoy shooting the shit with Uncle Frank and playing cards with Cousin Al.

-Assumption that only women will be the ones hand-washing the family china. Again, where are the other adults?

-Martyring oneself in the kitchen, washing those dishes while everyone else is watching TV, talking, etc after the meal. Why not let the dishes sit for a bit and join the family in the living room?

Ridiculous.
Re: Things moms aren't Thankful for: more self-inflicted stress and work
November 24, 2014
lol She complains about people leaving too early to eat her pie then she complains about people, who do stay to eat the pie, staying five hours longer than they should. Keep making no changes with your silence, lady!

Holiday diaper blowouts sound even more nauseating than normal diaper blowouts! two faces puking
She probably sees herself as a martyr doing the dishes while her guests watch TV. I see it as rude. I never leave my guests for the all-important job of dishes. Dishes can wait. They don't have feelings and haven't visited my house to see me, my guests have. No wonder people leave early!
November 24, 2014
another reason I would hate parenthood, you get stuck in gender roles REAL quick. I dont know why exactly, but man it's damn near unavoidable in the parent circles it seems.
Yup, there are no gender roles in my house. My husband loves to cook, and he washes the dishes and I dry them. It's ALWAYS like that, even if we have company. He will help me prep the meals, and then we both get into the kitchen and clean together.

It sux to be moo! Moos are always stuck in these stupid roles, whether they like it or not. Plus, nobody seems to appreciate it. There's always some kind of complaining, bitching and whining going on with the kyds and famblee.

I can't imagine a worse situation than being a moo. All of the shit falls on their shoulders, and when things go wrong, it's all their fault. The food was cold! The kyds want to play video games, not watch the parade! They aren't staying to eat the pie! Maybe the food was so bad, they didn't want to stick around for dessert? Just a guess.
Ha! My husband has cooked every thanksgiving meal we've ever hosted. Sometimes he'll go all-out and make the cranberry sauce and pumpkin pie from scratch (like, from an actual pumpkin). This year he's taking it easy with canned cranberry sauce and leaving the pie to me and my mom. Yes, I do all the cleaning, because, actually, I love cleaning. I love getting out my special-occasion dishes and crystal goblets and seeing everything shine on the table. It's a labor of love, but I don't marry myself to the process. Last year I was pretty depressed so we ate our turkey dinner off my everyday, chipped stonewear. It was comfy and laid back.
And ffs, don't these women own a dishwasher?
November 24, 2014
stillwaters
And ffs, don't these women own a dishwasher?

Actually no, if they did, then they couldn't play martyr. Besides after the Little Tykes and Playskool kindercrap who has an extra $650 for a KitchenAid?
November 24, 2014
I don't feel bad for these idiots who martyr themselves. This is my second year hosting Thanksgiving, and I actually look forward to it. I get to stay at MY HOUSE, and everyone has to come to me. I make the turkey and a few easier sides, and everyone that comes brings another side or dessert. Then everyone puts their plates in the dishwasher and I run the thing on the china setting. My husband helps with the before and after cleaning. Bitch needs to shut up.

On a semi-related note, why do people always complain about how hard the turkey is? I was expecting this huge challenge for my first time last year. I found it pretty easy. Put it in the oven and check on it every few hours. All I ever heard growing up was how hard the turkey is. Not really.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________
"Not every ejaculation deserves a name" - George Carlin
November 24, 2014
There's no gender roles in my house, either.

In fact Mr S is cooking us beef tataki for Thanksgiving as I can't stomach turkey.
rifor
She probably sees herself as a martyr doing the dishes while her guests watch TV. I see it as rude. I never leave my guests for the all-important job of dishes. Dishes can wait. They don't have feelings and haven't visited my house to see me, my guests have. No wonder people leave early!

Venomous, angry hosts are easily detected by anyone with an emotional IQ over room temperature. If she's seething and washing dishes and looking daggers at people, you can sure bet the guests will avoid her, or even leave early. Hell, Mr. Random and I got up and left the Thanksgiving table at the in-laws' house once before dessert because his parents' bickering, combined with a few passive-aggressive swipes at him, killed our appetites. Guests pick up on horrible attitudes and nasty secret agendas, even if the martyr mom thinks she's hiding it.
November 25, 2014
In my house, I typically wash and my SO dries the dishes because I find drying more burdensome, and he dislikes washing more. I do most of the cooking because I tend to enjoy it; he does other tasks like the laundry. When we have guests they usually offer to help clean up, and so I and a couple of people will go into the kitchen and talk while cleaning, or my SO and some guests clean up while I keep talking in the living room. I don't see why it needs to be such an ordeal.
November 25, 2014
LoveToLurk
I don't feel bad for these idiots who martyr themselves. This is my second year hosting Thanksgiving, and I actually look forward to it. I get to stay at MY HOUSE, and everyone has to come to me. I make the turkey and a few easier sides, and everyone that comes brings another side or dessert. Then everyone puts their plates in the dishwasher and I run the thing on the china setting. My husband helps with the before and after cleaning. Bitch needs to shut up.

On a semi-related note, why do people always complain about how hard the turkey is? I was expecting this huge challenge for my first time last year. I found it pretty easy. Put it in the oven and check on it every few hours. All I ever heard growing up was how hard the turkey is. Not really.

About every three months I buy a whole turkey and use it as a meat source, meaning I draw and quarter it and use it as my meat supply for those three months. Turkey is a cheap choice of meat. I don't always celebrate Thanksgiving, but if I do I go out, I don't cook the feast. It is too much hassle. I did buy the per-Thanksgiving turkey as they are especially low in cost.

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
November 25, 2014
LoveToLurk

From a preparation standpoint, a turkey is nothing but a big chicken. If you can roast a chicken, you can roast a turkey, the turkey just takes longer.
You could fill a library with the things Moos aren't thankful for. On the one hand being left to do everything yourself would suck. On the other if you brush off offers to help so you can passive aggressively grumble about the lack of help, you're an idiot.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login