Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Dear Prudie: I don't have kids. My father thinks I'm worthless and should die. Family agrees :wtf

Posted by Dorisan 
Isn't the bedroom tax related to receiving benefits though? I cannot fully make out the range of government benefits as it seems like there are quite a few but it looks like they cut the amount of housing assistance if there are so many extra bedrooms for the amount of people living there. It reminds me of section 8 in the US, where the gubmint will provide for a low income famblee to live in a luxury place. I doubt it's even available to anyone who doesn't have kyds, but more money and bigger places are provided for bigger famblees.

I don't believe we should be providing for anyone to live in luxury housing when so many of us struggle to pay our own rent and mortgages just to keep a roof over our heads.

On the other hand what I buy with my own money is no one's business and the tax rate has to be based on property value alone. Most of the tax goes to people with kids anyway for schools.
deegee
Peace
Maybe you can help out this dumb American, but since when is it legal in England for the government to take one person's home and give it to another? I've not heard of that being legal in England. I also cannot imagine the British gov't seizing a person's private home and giving it to somebody else just because it's large. That smacks of communism and I don't see England going down that route. If they do start doing that, then all English lords, Dukes, even the royals had better count on giving up their huge estates, because they hold the biggest homes of all. Let's put some chavs in Buckingham palace! grinning smiley

Here in the US, there is a rule called "Eminent Domain" which allows government to take private land with just compensation for public use. There was, however, a controversial Supreme Court decision in 2005 called "Kelo v. New London (CT)" which allowed that city to take private land and turn it over to a private developer to increase that city's revenues. Slippery slope, anyone?

Other countries such as the UK have their own rules about this. Check out this wikipedia link for more details.

Yes, I'm very familiar with the eminent domain law and that court case.

I just looked up England's bedroom tax. It only apples to renters who rent a place that the government deems "too big," for their family. It doesn't apply to people who own their own home outright.

Here in my neck of the woods, towns WANT people like us owning homes, because we pay taxes and don't use the schools. They actively discourage new developments that would being in large herds of kids and their handlers. More kids = more schools and higher property taxes. A few years back, there was this big developer wanting to build a large complex here, complete with some low income housing (required under the law). Groups in town fought tooth and nail to keep it out, because we all knew what would have moved in: moos and their kids, leeching off the system, using social services, and increasing property taxes. The project got shut down.
Peace
Yes, I'm very familiar with the eminent domain law and that court case.

I just looked up England's bedroom tax. It only apples to renters who rent a place that the government deems "too big," for their family. It doesn't apply to people who own their own home outright.

Glad I don't live in the UK. We rent a 3-bedroom place for the two of us, which is just the right size for us. One room is a bedroom, one is an office + guest room, and the other is an office + storage (we have no basement or attic). If we can afford it and someone wants to rent it to us because we're good tenants, I don't see why we shouldn't be able to choose this arrangement.
Not meaning to derail the discussion about taxes, but I'd definitely like a word with this woman's sperm donor, because he has pissed off the wrong person.

My best friend had severe, intractable endometriosis and PCOS -- it was so bad that she had to have numerous surgeries to remove cysts/endometrial lesions. I asked her what that kind of pain was like, and she said "every period I had, since I was 11, made me wanna kill myself." Normal pain meds were not effective, so they had to give her "synthetic morphine" (at least, that's what she described it as.) Ultimately, she had to have a total hysterectomy at age 26, and still has digestive problems and interstitial cystitis due to the widespread adhesions that formed over the years. The bladder sling and transvaginal mesh that were needed, may also cause problems down the line.

Under this duh's rules, is her life not worth living? Does he think similarly afflicted women should be forced to retain their diseased, hostile uteri (and be in excruciating pain every day of their lives), for the VERY SLIM chance of babby?
drlove0378
Under this duh's rules, is her life not worth living?

Probably not. In fact, I bet he'd have the notion that she be treated like any cow who racks up vet bills for treatment without being a good milk producer or capable breeding stock - take her out behind the barn and put her down.

Fucker. I hope he dies from excruciating prostrate cancer angry flipping off
Dorisan
er. I hope he dies from excruciating prostrate cancer angry flipping off

Haha, hope so to
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login