Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Something the nurse at the Planned Parenthood clinic said to me that I find very interesting

Posted by seamstress 
This occurred while I was sitting in that sort of in-between room where they take blood pressure and fill out info and forms on the computer. This was an appointment for getting my IUD Friday.

I was complaining about having to take a pregnancy test when I haven't even so much as kissed a person, male OR female, since October. She was telling me how they had to anyways, and how you never know/just in case. I guess it's regulation or something.

Then she wanted to know about my sexual history to type into a computer. Last time I had PIV? Nope. I hadn't. Last time I had protected PIV? Nope. See previous. All sorts of questions like that. It was almost the same thing several different ways, and I'm sure that it served a purpose for something, but I was kinda exhasperated, explaining for each and every question that I never wanted to have children, that I was very cautious about this, and that I was not going to have PIV until I had proper birth control. Finally she started breezing through the questions, reading the question and the answer that fit what I had just said aloud in case I needed to correct it.

She told me that it was good that I was so cautious because I didn't want to get pregnant, and that she thinks those who aren't taking necessary steps to prevent pregnancy are "making a choice." as in they are deciding to get pregnant. It's one of the views I read over and over here about those who fuck without protection and then are suprised that someone winds up pregnant.
I agree. The ONLY case in which you "fall pregnant" is if you are raped (which is of course twice as horrid). Period. End of the story. If you fucked consensually and got pregnant that is a choice.

“I was talking about children that have not been properly house-trained. Left to their own impulses and indulged by doting or careless parents almost all children are yahoos. Loud, selfish, cruel, unaffectionate, jealous, perpetually striving for attention, empty-headed, for ever prating or if words fail them simply bawling, their voices grown huge from daily practice: the very worst company in the world. But what I dislike even more than the natural child is the affected child, the hulking oaf of seven or eight that skips heavily about with her hands dangling in front of her -- a little squirrel or bunny-rabbit -- and prattling away in a baby's voice.”

― Patrick O'Brian, The Truelove

lib'-er-ty: the freedom given to you to make the wrong decision, based on the reasoned belief that you will normally make the right one.
t.
I agree. The ONLY case in which you "fall pregnant" is if you are raped (which is of course twice as horrid). Period. End of the story. If you fucked consensually and got pregnant that is a choice.

No contraceptive has a 100% success rate even with perfect use. Even my sterilization doesn't give me no chance of pregnancy.

But it's also true that if everyone was as concerned about being in control of their reproductive health as we are, we wouldn't be seeing 50% of pregnancies being "unplanned."
yurble
t.

No contraceptive has a 100% success rate even with perfect use. Even my sterilization doesn't give me no chance of pregnancy.

But it's also true that if everyone was as concerned about being in control of their reproductive health as we are, we wouldn't be seeing 50% of pregnancies being "unplanned."

I explained myself badly: what I mean is a lot of people take 0 precautions, or are very chevalier with them ("oh I forgot to take the pill, whatever") and then acts all surprise when they get pregnants.

“I was talking about children that have not been properly house-trained. Left to their own impulses and indulged by doting or careless parents almost all children are yahoos. Loud, selfish, cruel, unaffectionate, jealous, perpetually striving for attention, empty-headed, for ever prating or if words fail them simply bawling, their voices grown huge from daily practice: the very worst company in the world. But what I dislike even more than the natural child is the affected child, the hulking oaf of seven or eight that skips heavily about with her hands dangling in front of her -- a little squirrel or bunny-rabbit -- and prattling away in a baby's voice.”

― Patrick O'Brian, The Truelove

lib'-er-ty: the freedom given to you to make the wrong decision, based on the reasoned belief that you will normally make the right one.
All the questions being the same with different phrasing is probably because a lot of idiots who come into the clinic like to lie, so asking them essentially the same thing half a dozen times might offer insight into the truth.

"I always have pertected secks."

"What kind of protection do you use?"

"Mah boyfraend pull out almost all da time! No way I could be preggent!"

"Umm..."

"An' I also twerk over a stack 'a
Twilight books every time after secks 'cuz mah girfriend says dat make you not get pregnent too! I double up!"

But the nurse does make a good point. Not giving a shit is still making a choice. That, or believing that nothing bad will happen to them because they're somehow special. Also, congrats on the IUD! :bal
I would love to take a nurse from PP for a dinner and drinks just so I can hear their stories. I think I would probably learn the whole new set of limits to human stupidity.

seamstress
It's one of the views I read over and over here about those who fuck without protection and then are surprised that someone winds up pregnant.

People are simply nuts. Many people in their early 20's use the pull-out method, and the situation is scary. Trouble is, that method has to be used the right way and when asked which is the right way, many people who use that method, they don't even know the answer. And, even if it is used the right way, it is still not as effective as a condom.
Hey - You Kids ever hear this one? ~

Pulling out doesn't work with a Basketball Player. Why not? He dribbles before he shoots.

(This does highlight a serious issue too - sperm absolutely CAN be present before 'the money shot'.)
yurble

A few years ago I went to my new GP to ask for a contraceptive injection. He told me "We don't prescribe those so much anymore, these days we encourage people to go for longer-acting methods. Have you considered the Nexplanon?" I hadn't but it made sense so I went and got one. He had been implying that NHS GPs were acting under guidelines to prescribe long-acting methods over the pill- and when I read up on this I found this was exactly the case.

Britain used to have a major teenage pregnancy problem but rates have since fallen to its lowest since 1969, and fewer women of all ages are having abortions.

Coincidence? I suspect not, especially when sex education also appears to be working. Unfortunately the success of better sex education and greater access to long-term contraception hasn't been publicised too widely, possibly because the right-wing press want to let their readers continue believing that teenage girls are all feckless and having teh ebil sex so they can claim free council houses paid for by Their Bloody Taxes.

There's less chance of a "happy accident" when you're using "contraception which takes care of itself", as the NHS call it!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login