Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Will measles kill The Mouse?

Posted by Dorisan 
Will measles kill The Mouse?
January 25, 2015
Watch out for an imminent advertising blitz to keep people from being scared to visit Disneyland. The measles outbreak that initially affected less than a dozen people is spreading like a Stephen King-style plague

LINK

One state medical wonk made this (commercially) unwise statement

California's state epidemiologist, Dr. Gilberto Chavez, warns, "If you are not vaccinated, stay away from Disneyland."

Meanwhile, the anti-vaxxers are bleating "aww, measles ain't so bad."

Makes me wonder if the next mass extinction event isn't going to be due to global warming, an asteroid or comet, or even something terrorist related. It will be caused by a bug spread by an unvaccinated brat.
Re: Will measles kill The Mouse?
January 25, 2015
Measles are horrible, and if these ignorant Moos had a lick of sense they would be scared too. Won't someone think of the baybees and the chyldrun?

My mother's best friend in the 1960's contracted German Measles aka Rubella at the end of her first trimester. She is open about it and it's one of the many reasons I like her. She found a sensible doctor who was willing to give her an abortion, because why give birth to a child who will suffer and likely die?

The birth defects from rubella are awful: heart problems, encephaly, blindness.

Ironically when I took some night classes in Georgia in the 90's, I had to get the Measles/Mumps/Rubella vaccination because my mom couldn't find the piece of paper to prove I had it. It was a series of three shots and I felt pretty rough after I got all of them. But it's worth it to not die from Measles.

These bitches ought to google "measles" or "German measles" and look at the images. :hs

ETA: It's a given I'm not saying it's worse when kyds get measles, but they are helpless if someone is too much of a dumb shit to have them vaccinated.
January 25, 2015
The comments are just.. Ghastly. So fucking stupid...
January 25, 2015
I know this isn't a popular opinion around here, but my wife and I love going to the different Disney Parks. It was a goal of ours a few years ago to visit all of them. We've been to Orlando and Tokyo so far and we had our one-year anniversary dinner in Cinderella's castle. I got her an engraved glass slipper and she loved it. The rides are fun but I guess I'm getting old now because I enjoy visiting the different countries in Epcot the most now. So it is possible to like Disney stuff and still be childfree. Hell the only reason we can afford to go is because we don't have to lug a brat along.

But on topic, this year we were seriously planning to visit Disneyland Anaheim. Then I read about this outbreak last month and we noped the fuck away from that idea. We may just be skipping a vacation this year and saving our money.
January 25, 2015
dood
I know this isn't a popular opinion around here, but my wife and I love going to the different Disney Parks. It was a goal of ours a few years ago to visit all of them. We've been to Orlando and Tokyo so far and we had our one-year anniversary dinner in Cinderella's castle. I got her an engraved glass slipper and she loved it. The rides are fun but I guess I'm getting old now because I enjoy visiting the different countries in Epcot the most now. So it is possible to like Disney stuff and still be childfree. Hell the only reason we can afford to go is because we don't have to lug a brat along.

But on topic, this year we were seriously planning to visit Disneyland Anaheim. Then I read about this outbreak last month and we noped the fuck away from that idea. We may just be skipping a vacation this year and saving our money.

I don't think you should worry about what's popular, I think you should take vacations that satisfy both you and your wife.

That being said, I think that the guests at Disney parks have a right to a reasonable expectation of safety regarding viruses. If this becomes a serious outbreak, don't be surprised to see state legislatures react by passing new legislation permitting theme parks to require proof that their patrons have been vaccinated against certain viral agents.

Disney is a multi-billion dollar enterprise, and they're not going to risk losing significant revenue due to tourists such as yourself avoiding their parks because of fear of infection. Anti-vaxxers are a tiny percentage of the population, and Disney will err on the side of safety and the majority.
January 25, 2015
dood
I know this isn't a popular opinion around here, but my wife and I love going to the different Disney Parks.

'Family oriented' doesn't mean non-CF to me - probably a lot of us, here. I'm thoroughly pissed on Dh's behalf that the Legolands are off-limits to non-child-accompanied people.

We did the whole Orlando thing years back, but visited in January, when the attractions were less flooded with famblies (and now I feel guilty that I was so enthralled at Seaworld, considering the real story behind the killer whale exhibits). That tactic is what we commonly deploy when visiting tourist areas where we know there will be hordes of kids.

CF people can have fun at attractions typically meant for the brats, we just have to plan attendance by a different route to keep from having our fun ruined by them.
January 25, 2015
Typical Anti-vaxers. Will someone please take a baseball bat to Jenny McCarthey? Maybe that will shut her up...

I quite like a trip to Disney, but avoid the weekends and school holidays. It's quiet enough to pretty much walk on every ride. Plus you get to do slightly more adult things like Food and Wine. Mind you, it doesn't stop them trying to force-feed escargot to their own little slug.

A couple of years ago, we planned on doing Magic Kingdom at opening. Walking up from the ferry, I could see this feral brat of about 5 running in and out of the people waiting, not paying the slightest attention to what they were doing. Next thing it came running from behind me and cut right in front of me at less than one stride distance. Down it goes, before screaming that I had knocked it over. I just wander off safe in the knowledge that it was an educational experience.

Not one of the brat's keepers even saw what happened as they were far too busy gorging on their breakfast McDonalds.

Best one was at Universal Studios last year for Halloween Horror Nights. They did a Rocky Horror show. The combination of cross-dressing, visible lingerie and callouts like "Fuck the back row", "Slut" and "Arsehole" sent many a breeder scurrying for the exit after only a few minutes.
January 25, 2015
Yeah, measles is "not so bad," until anybody who contracted it from Disneyland die or are permanently brain damaged from pneumonia, brain inflammation, or SSPE.

------------------------------------------------------------
"Why children take so long to grow? They eat and drink like pig and give nothing back. Must find way to accelerate process..."
- Dr. Yi Suchong, Bioshock

"Society does not need more children; but it does need more loved children. Quite literally, we cannot afford unloved children - but we pay heavily for them every day. There should not be the slightest communal concern when a woman elects to destroy the life of her thousandth-of-an-ounce embryo. But all society should rise up in alarm when it hears that a baby that is not wanted is about to be born."
- Garrett Hardin

"I feel like there's a message involved here somehow, but then I couldn't stop laughing at all the plotholes, like the part when North Korea has food."
- Youtube commentor referring to a North Korean cartoon.

"Reality is a bitch when it slowly crawls out of your vagina and shits in your lap."
- Reddit comment

"Bitch wants a baby, so we're gonna fuck now. #bareback"
- Cambion

Oh whatever. Abortion doctors are crimestoppers."
- Miss Hannigan
January 25, 2015
Dorisan
dood
I know this isn't a popular opinion around here, but my wife and I love going to the different Disney Parks.

'Family oriented' doesn't mean non-CF to me - probably a lot of us, here. I'm thoroughly pissed on Dh's behalf that the Legolands are off-limits to non-child-accompanied people.

I was a huge Lego dork growing up. We couldn't afford the really high tech Technic kits but I had enough to keep me entertained and build some world class spatial reasoning skills.

Recently I rediscovered Lego after getting involved as an industry volunteer with a grade school robotics team. I bought a bulldozer kit and imported a limited edition crawler crane kit from europe. I built them and kept them in my office. Of course everyone poked fun at it until the day some idiot rolled a D9 and I was able to use the Legos to simulate various strategies for unfucking the situation. In the end it made a huge difference for mission planning.

The next day I submitted an expense report for the cost of the toys. My boss gave me the stink eye so told him "fuck you, I'm taking my toys and going home..." In the end he approved the expenditure.
January 25, 2015
I bet somebody will start screaming when their sickly three-months-premature loaf with no immune system catches measles and dies from it. Considering how shitty some kids' immune systems are in general today (allergic to everything, gets sick every week), all you'd have to do is stick one unvaxed, infected brat in school or daycare for measles to spread to the other kids (who spread it to their parents) and staff (who spread it to their family and friends). I bet the particularly weak ones will be much more prone to secondary pneumonia and all the other delightful complications. Also, I don't think the vaccination rate is 95 percent like the one article says - there are WAY too many anti-vaxers out there to only make up that remaining five percent. I'd say childhood vaccination is closer to 75 percent, maybe even lower.

I'm sure a majority of anti-vaccination breeders figure measles is just the chickenpox with a different name. After all, it's just a rash, right? A rash never hurt anybody, and Mommy had the chickenpox when she was five and she was just fine! smile rolling left righteyes2 They'll gladly find sites to back up their horse shit theories about why vaccines are poison, but they never seem to research the side effects and complications of the diseases they choose to expose their kids to.

On top of that, is it not possible for measles to render men and boys infertile? I think it's a rare complication, but you'd think Moos would be hustling their darling little princes to the hospital for shots and boosters to protect the cherubs' fertility. But I'm sure it'd be someone else's fault if Junior caught the measles and couldn't give Moo any grand-shits 20 years later.
January 26, 2015
Cambion
Also, I don't think the vaccination rate is 95 percent like the one article says - there are WAY too many anti-vaxers out there to only make up that remaining five percent. I'd say childhood vaccination is closer to 75 percent, maybe even lower.

The anti-vaxxers are a vocal lot, but they really aren't that numerous. They're just clustered around one another in their own echo chamber, which is why some districts will have more like 25% vaccination rates while most will be a lot closer to 96%. Overall, the rate ends up being 95%, but there's a lot of local variability.

Personally, I think the enclaves are a good idea. Let a few really nasty diseases spread through a limited part of the population and there will probably be a change, both cultural and legislative, toward this anti-social nonsense. If herd immunity would protect them from their folly because of an even distribution of the population, the anti-vax movement would spread a lot further before being curtailed.
January 26, 2015
Dorisan
dood

We did the whole Orlando thing years back, but visited in January, when the attractions were less flooded with famblies (and now I feel guilty that I was so enthralled at Seaworld, considering the real story behind the killer whale exhibits). That tactic is what we commonly deploy when visiting tourist areas where we know there will be hordes of kids.

CF people can have fun at attractions typically meant for the brats, we just have to plan attendance by a different route to keep from having our fun ruined by them.

Count me in as pissed too. I just found out about Legoland's policy recently (I think on this site actually) and fuck them. Even if they changed it, I still wouldn't go. CF folks have soooo much extra income, right? You'd think they'd want some of it.

paragon schnitzophonic
Yeah, measles is "not so bad," until anybody who contracted it from Disneyland die or are permanently brain damaged from pneumonia, brain inflammation, or SSPE.

Yeah, definitely need to find somewhere else to go this summer. That sounds terrifying.

Captcha = uhVct. Uh, vaccinate indeed.
January 27, 2015
Cambion
I bet somebody will start screaming when their sickly three-months-premature loaf with no immune system catches measles and dies from it. Considering how shitty some kids' immune systems are in general today (allergic to everything, gets sick every week), all you'd have to do is stick one unvaxed, infected brat in school or daycare for measles to spread to the other kids (who spread it to their parents) and staff (who spread it to their family and friends). I bet the particularly weak ones will be much more prone to secondary pneumonia and all the other delightful complications. Also, I don't think the vaccination rate is 95 percent like the one article says - there are WAY too many anti-vaxers out there to only make up that remaining five percent. I'd say childhood vaccination is closer to 75 percent, maybe even lower.

I'm sure a majority of anti-vaccination breeders figure measles is just the chickenpox with a different name. After all, it's just a rash, right? A rash never hurt anybody, and Mommy had the chickenpox when she was five and she was just fine! smile rolling left righteyes2 They'll gladly find sites to back up their horse shit theories about why vaccines are poison, but they never seem to research the side effects and complications of the diseases they choose to expose their kids to.

On top of that, is it not possible for measles to render men and boys infertile? I think it's a rare complication, but you'd think Moos would be hustling their darling little princes to the hospital for shots and boosters to protect the cherubs' fertility. But I'm sure it'd be someone else's fault if Junior caught the measles and couldn't give Moo any grand-shits 20 years later.

I never heard that measles could cause male infertility, but it's been known for decades that mumps can cause it, particularly if the males contract mumps during/after adolescence. (Both Edward VIII and his brother King George had immature gonads after contracting mumps in adolescence. Sperm had to be drawn from George and inserted in his wife Elizabeth to father the current Queen Elizabeth and her sister.)

Always remember Corporal Klinger's famous description of the mumps on M*A*S*H: "Get 'em as a kid, you don't get 'em as an adult. Get 'em as an adult, you don't get kids."
January 27, 2015
I wonder when we can start charging these germ vectors with homicide when innocent people* die. If you drive drunk and kill someone, you get charged for the death, even when it was presumably not your intention. Deciding not to vaccinate for non-medical reasons is no different from engaging in other activities which put society at large at risk, because of selfishness.

* By innocent I mean those who were vaccinated but for whom the vaccine didn't work, and those who cannot be vaccinated for medical reasons. People who contract the disease but who didn't vaccinate either are more or less voluntary passengers in a drunk's car, in the above scenario.
January 27, 2015
learnernotlurker

Always remember Corporal Klinger's famous description of the mumps on M*A*S*H: "Get 'em as a kid, you don't get 'em as an adult. Get 'em as an adult, you don't get kids."

Hey now that's a good anti vax argument!

ducking and running waving hellolarious

It's here now! :goggle

http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/health/cook-county-measles-289935451.html

It says on that story that if you do get the Measles you should contact the Health Dept., not go to a Doc or ER so as not to contaminate others. They said the same thing on a TV news story (diff channel) I saw the other day.

Yikes.

I'm sorely tempted to make a comment on that story but I'd likely start ranting and making threats so it's best not to. Let me tell you though - I'm at the point where I'm going to start photographing sick kids in stores and following the people out to take pix of their license plates too.

About an hour ago I was in a Walgreens and what did I see? Moo, Duh, 2 kids - one of which was running around, the other of which was COUGHING! angry smiley

OK - WHY does the WHOLE FUCKING FAMBLEE need to go to the store??? ONE person could go to the store while the other stays home with the kids. But - I guess this is their 'entertainment' now smile rolling left righteyes2

Back on the Sick Kids - I was thinking of this East Coast Blizzard and how they shut everything down and even instituted curfews and banned driving and etc. This gave me an uneasy feeling - IMO it's one step from Martial Law. ERG. However - IT'S IDIOTS FUCKING AROUND THAT CAUSES SUCH MEASURES!

And the same goes for SICK KIDS too! If you don't get the COMMON SENSE to keep sick kids home - quarantines will be next.

Another thing that happened 'here' recently - OK - the above story - that's pretty far away from me here on the West Side. However - there were these flu issues around late November - that *were* located in this area - several schools were SHUT DOWN because like the *entire student body* called in sick and they had to fumigate the places and everything! There were 3 instances of this - within 10 miles of me. AND I think I did pick up a bug, too - although it was not a full blown flu, I was feeling sick. Yes, I just Googled this and there are numerous stories. AND it looks like sim happened in many states! It even made Web MD!

http://www.webmd.com/cold-and-flu/news/20141217/flu-schools-closing

GRRRRR!!!! angry smiley

Yeah, I know, I try to be level headed, sometimes shit just happens. HOWEVER - I do believe there are many ways to prevent such spreading such as just being CLEANER - wash your filthy mitts you slobs! And if they are sick - keep them at HOME! Do not drag them out to the store to make other people sick!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login