Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

"Junk Food Kids" on Channel 4 last night

Posted by yummynotmummy 
Re: "Junk Food Kids" on Channel 4 last night
February 26, 2015
As a cashier, you can almost always tell which customers have kids and which don't.by what they put on the belt. Non-childed folks often buy more healthy stuff (fruits and vegetables) then childed folks, who tend to by a lot of heavily processed cereals (Fruity Pebbles) yogurts (think Danimals and Go-gurts) and anything that is gummy, Lunchable, or comes in a tiny squeezable pouch.
February 27, 2015
^I have to admit I loved me some Lunchables as a kid (I'm only 24, so those were already a thing then), however, I liked fruits and vegetables just as much and had them a lot more often. I have to say I'm really surprised to find out there are kids that apparently don't like fruit--I can kind of understand vegetables (there are some vegetables that I actually liked more as a kid than I do now), but I have a hard time imagining that there are kids who don't like fruit. That just seems weird to me for some reason.

Also, I had a ton of dental work as a kid (not really because of junk food--it had more to do with crappy genetics than anything else), and it was like torture to me, especially since I never got numb. (Then I would get punished and spanked for screaming in pain, but that's a whole other story.) In these cases where it does have to do with diet and is therefore preventable, I can't imagine why any parent wouldn't do whatever they can to prevent it. Do they think it doesn't matter because it's just the kid's baby teeth or something? I actually know of adults who still have some baby teeth that they never lost (including one of my professors this semester, actually), so there's no guarantee that "it's just going to fall out anyway." That's certainly not the only reason to take care of a kid's baby teeth, but it's a damn good one if you ask me.
February 27, 2015
Well there was plenty more trainwreck in the second episode. The Romanian girl's parents wanted their kid to have surgery so that they didn't have to change the way they ate - because it was too hard!

I'm sorry but people like that just have no business having children.
February 27, 2015
bookworm
A few years ago Jamie Oliver made a valiant attempt to improve school meal from the 'turkey' twizzlers and chips (fries) to something a little more nutritious and healthy while still being within the budgets and abilities of the average state school.

I remember that! The useless shitbag parents smuggled in junk food to their kids anyway, IIRC.

What a bunch of fucking wastrels.

--------------

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it."
George Bernard Shaw

"An oyster can play catch if u only give it the oprotunity"
Some random YouTube commenter

"hate comments will be deleted!! fuckers!"
Some random YouTube uploader

February 28, 2015
nightfire
As a cashier, you can almost always tell which customers have kids and which don't.by what they put on the belt. Non-childed folks often buy more healthy stuff (fruits and vegetables) then childed folks, who tend to by a lot of heavily processed cereals (Fruity Pebbles) yogurts (think Danimals and Go-gurts) and anything that is gummy, Lunchable, or comes in a tiny squeezable pouch.

actually just as a general bystander getting groceries, you can tell who the breeder is, baised on th 1-2 completely full shopping trollys, even if there isn't a kid in tow.

though frankly if you looked into my shopping basket on the wrong day, you'd wonder if I was buying for 3 young kids or if it was almost Halloween, sometimes i'd just go buy a heap of soft drink, chips, lollies and chocolate, because I was having a really rough awful day/week, and tend to emotionally binge eat when im upset while stressed.

although sometimes I do actually buy a heap of lollies when they come on sale in bulk during Halloween, so I don't have to be seen buying them regally for the rest of the year. for some reason Australia started doing Halloween regardless of it being an American thing, its like the worst day of my year, I have to shut the house up, my pets get stressed and scared from all the door knocking, and screaming kids lurking around outside.
February 28, 2015
I'm sorry but I have no sympathies for the "parents" and I think their kids need to be taken away and the useless wastes sterilized. If you are a sahmoo you not only have time, but you should also have the motivation to cook healthy for you family. I can't cook....as evidenced by the rice cooker picture....I am useless in the kitchen but I do my best to at least try on occasion to learn. Not only that I do try my best to eat the healthier t.v dinners that don't cost an arm and a leg. I can get a Healthy Choice meal for around 2.50 for lunch. I can eat toast for breakfast and have a smoothie or another t.v dinner for dinner. I can do all of this for well under 10 dollars a day. One takeout meal for an average family of four at the cheapest would cost at least 20 dollars for one meal. Yet we hear how broke they are with no effort put forth to just try to cook. I want to be a fly on the wall when their benefits run out because their spawn are now adults.

March 01, 2015
addiea raine
I'm sorry but I have no sympathies for the "parents" and I think their kids need to be taken away and the useless wastes sterilized. If you are a sahmoo you not only have time, but you should also have the motivation to cook healthy for you family. I can't cook....as evidenced by the rice cooker picture....I am useless in the kitchen but I do my best to at least try on occasion to learn. Not only that I do try my best to eat the healthier t.v dinners that don't cost an arm and a leg. I can get a Healthy Choice meal for around 2.50 for lunch. I can eat toast for breakfast and have a smoothie or another t.v dinner for dinner. I can do all of this for well under 10 dollars a day. One takeout meal for an average family of four at the cheapest would cost at least 20 dollars for one meal. Yet we hear how broke they are with no effort put forth to just try to cook. I want to be a fly on the wall when their benefits run out because their spawn are now adults.

Alright. (Sprays herself with smart spray.) Let us say you have no oven or stove and are exhausted from a long day's work as a working mother. (As a pain patient I don't work, but I have many of the same challenges as I am incapacitated as often as a working mother is busy at her job.) There are ways to deal out a fresh meal without going to the hamburger joint each night. Your only tools you need are a rice pot, a crock pot, and a hot plate.

On your way home, you purchase your food. You purchase table vegetables, fruit, beans, oatmeal, a boiler chicken, potatoes, whole wheat bread, and maybe some rice. You purchase some packets of instant soup mixes, a few other odds and ends, and gravy packets.

You serve rice with steamed veggies with just a touch of soy that night.

You put your whole chicken with salt and pepper in the crock pot to cook overnight.

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
March 01, 2015
addiea raine
'm sorry but I have no sympathies for the "parents" and I think their kids need to be taken away and the useless wastes sterilized. If you are a sahmoo you not only have time, but you should also have the motivation to cook healthy for you family.

In this programme, all but 2 of the moos were SAHMs. What the fuck are they doing all day if they're not cooking? Some of the duhs were just as bad - buying sweets all the time and bringing takeaways home. I'm pretty sure some of the duhs with daughters didn't think it was a big deal about their weight because if the daughters are fat and unattractive, they won't get boyfriends. In fact, I noticed in a couple of the families, there was a daughter and a son, and the sons were normal weight, while the girls had the weight problem. Maybe overweight Moos subconsciously don't want their daughters to be slimmer and more attractive than them.

I'm not a weight fascist by any means - I like food, I'm not skinny, but I'm not overweight either, and I think BMI is a stupid way to measure health - I used to be very active, had a lot of muscle, I was a UK size 10 but weighed 11 stone and I was constantly told I was overweight by doctors, who never thought to measure my body fat percentage, which was pretty low at the time. But if weight is affecting health, then I just don't understand why these parents wouldn't want to do something about it before their kyds go to an early grave.
March 01, 2015
It seems to me that weight has become another reason to scream 'discrimination' at every given opportunity and an excuse for one's laziness.
When I was a kid both my parents worked and nobody cooked. I have always hated hot food (actually I can't even drink anything hot, I either put cold milk into my coffee or let it cool down before I can drink it) so my mom would buy/make me salads and sandwiches. Result? I've always been skinny.
A childhood friend's mother also never cooked from scratch because she was too busy spending entire days at the spa/hair salon/massage therapist yet the entire family was skinny despite eating microwave meals. Maybe the clue here is that all the people mentioned were very slim to begin with. It's enough to look at the mothers in that documentary to realize it's no wonder the kids are overweight.
I also find it strange how none of these kids have any hobbies. When I was a kid I did ballet, figure skating, a bit of gymnastics, piano and violin which meant that I had something going on every day, six days a week, and so did most other kids I knew.
I was especially surprised by the Romanian girl's attitude since Romanian girls/women tend to be skinny and quite concerned with their appearance. If she can't see that she needs to change at that age then you really wonder if anything will ever make her change.
It's very easy to blame regional cuisine ('she loves custard') or vague enemies like McDonald's but ultimately parents need to instill some pride into their children, and that includes taking pride in your physical appearance and health.
March 02, 2015
If not for my inherent OCD-ness about oral hygiene, I'd have probably ended up losing my baby teeth too. My cousins all had black, rotten baby teeth in their school pics. It's kind of a rite of passage where I'm from (rural shithole America) :drool

Some moos would rather make their kids happy in the short term than healthy in the long run. I feel like childhood obesity should be considered abuse/neglect. It's totally preventable and sets the kyd up for a lifetime of health problems. Meh.

Instead, we get "body acceptance" campaigns and lectures about fat-shaming. :headbrick
March 03, 2015
yummynotmummy
Well there was plenty more trainwreck in the second episode. The Romanian girl's parents wanted their kid to have surgery so that they didn't have to change the way they ate - because it was too hard!

For me that was the saddest bit of this series so far. Unlike many of the other kids the Romanian girl accepted that she had a problem and seemed all too aware of the risks to her health. When the risks of the surgery were explained to her she decided she'd rather try a less drastic solution because she didn't want to die on the operating table. We then saw her trying hard in the gym... while her fat lazy parents were hardly bothering to keep up or make any changes at home. They decided their daughter having up to 90% of her stomach removed and being left unable to eat normally for the rest of her life (if she survived the surgery) was preferable to them having to do exercise and eat a bit less bread.

"You rarely see fat kids with thin parents" was how one of the doctors put it. I bet that if the daughter was taken away from her family and looked after by foster parents for a while the weight would soon drop off.
March 03, 2015
Just started episode 2. I think what enraged me the most is that sorry excuse for a Duh* in the opening who claims that the government, shops and companies which make candy are to blame, probably because it sums up breeders perfectly: lazy, entitled and claiming their crotch droppings are everyone's responsibility but their own. I don't even know what to say about poor Tallulah. She actually seems like a quiet kid who's easy to handle, especially for a loaf of that age. The nasty sow she calls mother would have no problems with her if she only tried (which she'll probably never do).
My dental health has always been great, and it's most likely not due to genetics. Both of my parents have had issues with cavities. I was taught from a very early age to brush them properly, to floss, as well as why it was important to do so. They don't look great - they're a bit crooked and I have a gap between my upper front teeth - but they're healthy and cavity-free. Aside from two wisdom teeth that never grew out, I have all of them and I intend to keep it that way.

*ETA: So his wife is a SAHMoo who has time to get dolled up, but can't be bothered to cook for the kids SHE and her husband CHOSE to have. Why the fuck am I not surprised? And it's not like it's a budget issue, it would be cheaper to cook from scratch.

paragon schnitzophonic
When everybody else in school is bullying Pavia for being fat, her friends don't want to get bullied by association and will distance themselves. Given that Pavia, her family, and their slovenly ways have been aired on national television, I would be surprised if bullying did not happen as a result.

Pavia's moo mentioned in the beginning that she has the "I'm big, I'm rocking it and I'm fabulous" mentality. I wouldn't be surprised if Pavia was already bullied and if this was her coping mechanism.

I don't have low self-esteem. That's a mistake. I have low esteem for everyone else.
-Daria

March 07, 2015
Was there a third show? Seriously enjoying watching the creatures that live under a rock wriggle with this show!
March 13, 2015
screaming sausage
The thing about this which really makes me angry is the way so many of the parents seem so blasé about the prospect of their children having major surgery. With general anaesthetic there's always a risk of death, even in young and healthy people, and in obese people it's even greater than usual- and the parents don't give a shit. Again, they'd do anything for a quiet life, even if that means putting one of their children at risk of death, and the stomach reduction surgery changing their life forever even if they did manage to survive. I couldn't help wondering if any of the parents were hoping the surgeons would inadvertently perform a PNA here.

You'd think they'd never heard of Jahi McMath...
March 13, 2015
yurble

I just had to look her up- tbh it's not even that extreme here in the UK, children used to die all too frequently when having dental treatment under general anaesthetic. In fact it happened so frequently that dentists were eventually banned from using general anaesthesia unless they were in a hospital setting with a qualified anaesthetist present. There's an old BBC story on this here. This happened in 1998, within living memory, and parents are still taking risks, only now they're going to those hospitals and anaesthetists to take those risks. Parents really don't give a shit.
March 14, 2015
screaming sausage
yurble

I just had to look her up- tbh it's not even that extreme here in the UK,

I mention her because of the ongoing thread we have here.
March 14, 2015
This is just outright child abuse! Think this makes a great argument for involuntary sterilization.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login