Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Zillow Commercial

Zillow Commercial
March 18, 2015
This one was aired constantly for a long time, but seemed to be taken out of circulation because I hadn't seen it for a long time, but it's now reappeared and it still annoys me:

Why are the parents allowing this preschooler dictate what house they buy on the basis of something he's going to not care about in a few years? Those big trees he wanted as a child are going to be a curse when he's older and has to rake the leaves every autumn. I get wanting a decent backyard for your children to play; I want a big backyard for my own home for a couple of dogs to romp around, but that should not take precedence over any other (more) important criteria when looking for a house. If there's a house that hit pretty much all major points except the backyard, the kid can deal. And there's always the option of doing some serious landscaping to turn a not so hot backyard into an excellent one.

When my parents decided to move, there was one house I really liked, but my parents chose a different one. I was a little annoyed at the time, but I got over it (granted, it helped that one of my friends from a babysitter lived a few houses down). Plus, when I got older, I found out that one of the driving factors was that the house was being sold at significantly below market value as a fire sale because the original family needed to move abroad ASAP. My mom's paying a starter home mortgage for a McMansion, which has allowed her to pay off the house in less than 20 years on her own.

------------------------------------------------------------
"Why children take so long to grow? They eat and drink like pig and give nothing back. Must find way to accelerate process..."
- Dr. Yi Suchong, Bioshock

"Society does not need more children; but it does need more loved children. Quite literally, we cannot afford unloved children - but we pay heavily for them every day. There should not be the slightest communal concern when a woman elects to destroy the life of her thousandth-of-an-ounce embryo. But all society should rise up in alarm when it hears that a baby that is not wanted is about to be born."
- Garrett Hardin

"I feel like there's a message involved here somehow, but then I couldn't stop laughing at all the plotholes, like the part when North Korea has food."
- Youtube commentor referring to a North Korean cartoon.

"Reality is a bitch when it slowly crawls out of your vagina and shits in your lap."
- Reddit comment

"Bitch wants a baby, so we're gonna fuck now. #bareback"
- Cambion

Oh whatever. Abortion doctors are crimestoppers."
- Miss Hannigan
Re: Zillow Commercial
March 18, 2015
When you look at the credit crisis/housing bubble, obvious culprits appear: Too-Big-To-Fail Investment Banks, Unscrupulous Lenders, and buyers who overextended themselves far beyond what they could actually afford.

And yet perhaps kids played an indirect role in this meltdown, too. So much of what parents do is now influenced and dictated by the kids. Kids are the driving force behind parents buying minivans loaded with waaaaay too many features, and far more expensive than they ever were in the past.

And the McMansion? I think this may be largely a kid phenomenon, too. Kids need more space... and their own bedrooms... and a giant backyard... and several rooms with giant TVs because heaven forbid they have to watch something they aren't interested in... supposedly.

I don't think they need any of this. But parents believe they do, and react by getting themselves into debt up to their eyeballs.
March 19, 2015
Commercials nowadays are all about the sprogs being little dictators. Business would love it if parents were all robots who said "yes" to everything their sproggies demanded. There was another commercial where some kid was embarassed at his lame parents for having some SUV unlike the one next door until par-unts went out and bought it
March 19, 2015
Commercials nowadays are all about the sprogs being little dictators. Business would love it if parents were all robots who said "yes" to everything their sproggies demanded. Also roots in the backyard can get into the septic system and can crash down on the neighbours roof in a storm leading to a lawsuit.
March 19, 2015
Parents are essentially forced into being consumer whores. It's their culture. And they have to do it or receive the dreaded label of "bad parent". And we all know how bad they need society's approval!
March 19, 2015
I am trying to get into the RE biz, but NEVER would I want to sell residential RE.

No way.

Zillow sucks and they've also been hit with a sexual harassment suit -

http://money.cnn.com/2014/12/03/technology/zillow-sexual-harassment-lawsuit/
March 24, 2015
Sprogs as dictators is a prominent theme in commercials, it seems. I'm thinking of one commercial for macaroni and cheese, and the kid orders his Duh to give him, the kid, the Duh's dinner. Of course, Duh complies and obeys. One I saw the other day is for a particular brand of mandarin oranges, and the kid makes this godawful low-pitched and very loud growl, like Satan's spawn, when his Duh wheels him past the oranges, and the Duh has to wheel him back in front of the oranges and buy them to stop the demonic caterwauling. I assume that commercial is meant to be funny, something all parunts can relate to....ugh.

I would never want to sell real estate because for one, there is no way I want those kids in my car, peeing and barfing and getting their sticky fingers on everything. Good luck telling moo that the kid may not have a sippy cup/juice pouch/whatever in the car. Plus, when you get to the house, if moo and duh want to let the brats "explore quietly," you know there's going to be trouble (angry moo and angry duh, and there goes your commission) if you even gently remind them that we all need to stay together, i.e., eyeballs on the brats at all times.
March 24, 2015
night owl
I would never want to sell real estate because for one, there is no way I want those kids in my car, peeing and barfing and getting their sticky fingers on everything. Good luck telling moo that the kid may not have a sippy cup/juice pouch/whatever in the car.

Is it me or are children CONSTANTLY eating and drinking in public? I see their parents shoveling junkfood and sippy cups in their faces, nonstop.

I'm not saying I didn't eat as a kid, but eating was for mealtime and done at a table. My parents never fed me 24/7. Most of the time I think this is done not because kids are hungry, but because parents just want to shut 'em up.
March 24, 2015
Just saw one of my Most Hated Ads angry smiley

It's for ATT and specifically for their TV -

Joe Putz Burbia and Soccer Moo Wifey are blabbing, the guy starts blabbing,

Wife says something like- It's funny, just the other day we were talking about wanting a TV experience that fit into our lives ~

Duh: And then we see this ATT Uverse commercial!

angry smiley angry smiley angry smiley

It's just SO fucking STOOPID! Banal, really.

I'd like to see this convo - do you have convo's like this?

Hi Zoe! What's new?
Hi there Jane, Yanno - I was just sitting here thinking about a TV experience that would fit into my life ~

Yes, I have conversations like this ALL the time! smile rolling left righteyes2

I have ATT net and phone and it BLOWS ASS!!! Can't get their TV here because that's fiber optic and they haven't put that in yet. It's probably a small miracle that we have DSL.

The rest of their equipment is made out of tin cans and string.

HEY ATT - Why don't you give yourself a colonoscopy with your fiber optic TV? It's a TV experience you can fit into your life!

angry smiley angry smiley angry smiley

:BS :BS :BS
March 24, 2015
I don't know what it's a commercial for, but I loathe the one where the couple is on a plane with some kid having a meltdown and the guy says to the woman 'We're never having kids.' She rolls her eyes and nods, then it cuts to her screaming in labor, etc., etc., eventually ending up all snuggled on the couch with duh bleating "I'm never letting gooooo." Ish.

I know that a lot of people say that then change their minds or experience a catastrophic birth control failure, but it's annyoing just the same. They just haaaave to push the banal lifescript at every opportunity.smile rolling left righteyes2
March 25, 2015
barbur
I don't know what it's a commercial for, but I loathe the one where the couple is on a plane with some kid having a meltdown and the guy says to the woman 'We're never having kids.' She rolls her eyes and nods, then it cuts to her screaming in labor, etc., etc., eventually ending up all snuggled on the couch with duh bleating "I'm never letting gooooo." Ish.

I know that a lot of people say that then change their minds or experience a catastrophic birth control failure, but it's annyoing just the same. They just haaaave to push the banal lifescript at every opportunity.smile rolling left righteyes2

OH yeah, that's another one!

They left that commercial unfinished, though. You know how it goes "We're never having kids," and cut to the scene where they have one, and then "We're never moving to the suburbs," cut to scene of them living in suburbia, then "We're never driving a minivan," cut to scene of Duh and the minivan, then "We're not having another kid," cut to scene of bizzy moo, in shlubby clothes, probably coated with baybee vomit and 3-day B.O., hurrying thru the house with her laundry basket and telling Duh over her shoulder as she bizzily hurries past, "I'm pregnant," and finally, cut to scene of Duh, tired preggo moo, and I think the 1 kyd all on the couch, and Duh saying "I'm never letting go.....[of his fam-blee]" .........

You just know that the next logical scene, given the way they've set this up, with scene after scene of these people contradicting themselves, is for Duh to walk out the door and divorce the moo!
March 25, 2015
One of the first forums I ever lurked on was one for obnoxious commercials. This thread brings back a lot of memories of ads that have pissed me off over the years.

But there was one in particular... I present, in all its rage-inducing glory, the commercial that convinced me to not only never want kids but to never want to subscribe to cable.

March 25, 2015
night owl

They left that commercial unfinished, though. You know how it goes "We're never having kids," and cut to the scene where they have one, and then "We're never moving to the suburbs," cut to scene of them living in suburbia, then "We're never driving a minivan," cut to scene of Duh and the minivan, then "We're not having another kid," cut to scene of bizzy moo, in shlubby clothes, probably coated with baybee vomit and 3-day B.O., hurrying thru the house with her laundry basket and telling Duh over her shoulder as she bizzily hurries past, "I'm pregnant," and finally, cut to scene of Duh, tired preggo moo, and I think the 1 kyd all on the couch, and Duh saying "I'm never letting go.....[of his fam-blee]" .........

You just know that the next logical scene, given the way they've set this up, with scene after scene of these people contradicting themselves, is for Duh to walk out the door and divorce the moo!

Yeah, I had forgotten about the "I'm pregnant." She doesn't look to happy about it, does she? Good call on following it to its logical end.
March 26, 2015
barbur

That kind of shizz only serves to perpetrate the "You'll change your mind!" bingo.

I'm pretty sure a lot of people get suckered in by it, too. They might well prefer to be CF, but society tells you that being CF is an immaturity thing, and that when you grow up, you have kids and embrace the Lifescript.
March 26, 2015
The "I'm never having kyds" is a State Farm commercial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1Z91YkPatw
March 26, 2015
bell_flower
The "I'm never having kyds" is a State Farm commercial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1Z91YkPatw

Notice how he went from a guy who, presumably, didn't need much of anything from State Farm at the beginning of the commercial, and by the end of the commercial he needed health insurance for three more people, renters insurance, homeowners insurance, an insurance rider on the diamond ring, auto insurance, and life insurance.

He looked like a guy who went from having a relatively simple, happy life, to one who was probably busting his ass 60 hours a week to have a LifeScript (TM). And who is the big winner when this happens? State Farm. The guy? Not so much.
March 26, 2015
Breeding = consumerism.

I also detest that commercial because many males who are "talked into kyds" because they don't have the cajones to dump their girlfriends/wives are usually anything but happy. I know a few IRL and while they talk a good game, they are oozing with bitterness a lot of the time.
March 27, 2015
paragon
This one was aired constantly for a long time, but seemed to be taken out of circulation because I hadn't seen it for a long time, but it's now reappeared and it still annoys me:

THANK YOU. That commercial bugs the everloving shit out of me, and I just saw it again this morning. Then I found this thread! Seriously...the (in-pig) parunts decide to buy the house with the treehouse in back only because it's the one Snotley approves of? Sadly, this happens in real life all the time. Maybe if these idiot breeders hadn't gotten knocked up with #2, they wouldn't be "needing" to buy a bigger house. Even then, a bigger house isn't necessarily vital. My brother and I grew up in an 800 sq ft house, and we're fine...mostly. bouncing and laughing

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Shauna's like a gluten-free Jim Jones for dumb, lifeless middle-aged women. I swear, this bitch could set fire to a orphanage and they would applaud her for bringing them light. ~ Miss Hannigan
March 27, 2015
StudioFiftyFour

So much of what parents do is now influenced and dictated by the kids. Kids are the driving force behind parents buying minivans loaded with waaaaay too many features, and far more expensive...

That's an old trick. I remember in mid 90's, minivans' commercials would play on TV and the commercial would show kid drawing around the minivan image, pointing to air conditioning, nice seats, all that. Minivans were a hot sell because they were "children approved". Then there was this other crap, "what would daddy not do for his little girl".
Anonymous User
March 30, 2015
Yeah, I think of you guys every time I see the ad in the OP.

Once again, if these businesses don't want ADULT money but only that money of adults w/ sprogs, they will not get mine.

Same w/ me when I was in college, my parents brought me around when we were moving. In hindsight, thanks for bringing me in the fam circle about the decision but they actually picked the ugliest yuckiest condo of all we saw, in the slightly worse neighborhood, but it musta been the cheapest and the guy was desperate to sell so they took advantage of the low price (but they had money to get what they wanted) and I think it was empty and ready to move in instantly . They brought me along but in hindsight I don't know why, because they did what they wanted after all, they didn't care if I liked the 'hood or the layout or my bedroom, or the parking or how close it was to my school or work. But back then we didn't have discussions w/ children and let them run our world. smile rolling left righteyes2
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login