Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Always about babies: Semisonic's Closing Time really about birfin'

Posted by navi8orgirl 
Always about babies: Semisonic's Closing Time really about birfin'
April 16, 2015
So my FB shows a Target store closing for the last time and they play Closing Time by Semisonic.

All these comments roll in about how it is about his baby's birth bla bla, and not a song about closing.

I have to look this up.

Bummer...all along I thought "Closing Time" was a catchy tune about getting booted out of the bar at the end of the evening.

It has since been turned into breeder dreck because...baybees born early. How the entire song has some meaning to the inpig (one last call for alcohol so finish your whiskey or beer=don't drink when inpig.)

At one time the writer said it was a punny metaphor about birth (wife was inpig and had a half baked souffle) but was written to close out their concert sets. And now the writer/singer backs this up apparently about how his baybee was a preemie bla bla and the song came out when she was released from this hospital bla bla (apparently the kid did not wait till last call.)

Or perhaps he is simply pandering to the breeders (who once were booted out of TGIFs at 2 am) to keep a one hit wonder alive and money coming in.

http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=6607

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
From a bottle cap message on a Magic Hat #9 beer: Condoms Prevent Minivans
I want to pick up a bus full of unruly kids and feed them gummi bears and crack, then turn them loose in Hobby Lobby to ransack the place. They will all be wearing T shirts that say "You Could Have Prevented This."
Ok, so I checked a link posted in the comments, (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niz9FtJIB2Y), and it's a video where he gives the back story to the song, and he says it's not about being bounced from a bar, but it's about getting bounced from the womb.....? Is this a joke? Pretty sure I have this song, and if I do, it's getting deleted from my library.
I have the CD. Time to trade it in.

I want to pick up a bus full of unruly kids and feed them gummi bears and crack, then turn them loose in Hobby Lobby to ransack the place. They will all be wearing T shirts that say "You Could Have Prevented This."
Re: Always about babies: Semisonic's Closing Time really about birfin'
April 16, 2015
I looked up the lyrics. That song has nothing to do with birfin a loaf. It's about couples getting together in a bar and going out into the world when the bar closes.. and what will they find? Love? Lonliness? Next night the brothers and sisters are other human beings looking to hook up.
Ofcourse I guess breeder brains could twist that all around to their liking.
April 16, 2015
According to Wikipoo-

In concert Dan Wilson has confirmed that the song was written in anticipation of fatherhood but that he disguised it because he knew his bandmates would get sick of playing a song about his kids.[4]

Jacob Slichter has also indicated that the song was written by Wilson "in anticipation of fatherhood", and that it is about "being sent forth from the womb as if by a bouncer clearing out a bar".[5][6]

Weird confused smiley

LOL, at least he knew the other band members would think it was stupid if it was about sluicing.
I have always hated that song. The lyrics are insipid and the music has always grated on my brain. Now I have another reason to hate it. Mr. T: I pitty tha foolhankyou
I dont give a shit what its intention was. That song is about drinking. That guy has no idea what he's talking about. He SAYS he wants kids, but what he actually needs is a beer! (Reverse bingos)
Sorry, the lyrics speak for themselves: the bar is closing, get your shit and leave, and hope the beer goggles don't affect you much. But remember, birth can be a consequence of beer goggles....

More than likely he was all gooey and Og-like about his half baked loaf. He said birth was a metaphor and his early interviews are exactly what we all think.

I am thinking his revenue is running low so he placates breederbrains into thinking he wrote it about birfin' so they buy more old CDs or download it.

Live's Lightning Crashes is about birth and death, I think. Creed's Arms Wide Open is breederific, IIRC. This song is more "dude, where's my car" than "squeee, look what Og make."

April 17, 2015
I was always disgusted by Lighting Crashes. Singing about placentas? Vomit.

I do hope this isn't true about "Closing Time." Of course, some dummy also once told me that Nirvana's In Utero was an anti-abortion album, which I haven't been able to back up with any actual info.
They also did a song called "Get a grip".

Dan Wilson stood up in front of a concert on Glasgow and admitted it was about, as he put it "wanking". Apparently a few days before in London someone shouted up after the song "thanks for coming"
If it is about the glories of hatching a brat it is sending the wrong message.
If it is in fact about that, the message it sends to me is have a brat and it is closing time on any fun, going out, drinking or having a life of your own. From now on, life revolves around a gross, screaming, sticky and puking spawn that grows up to be a gross, stinky, smartass and puking teenager who gross into a gross, stinky, smartass and puking needy adult who lives with you forever because he has 9 children by 9 baby mamas, no job and doesn't want one because it will all be garnished for child support.
I prefer to think of it as a song symbolizing people getting sterilized so it is closing time on the breeding issue.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login