Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Oh vindication

Posted by Dorisan 
Oh vindication
May 22, 2015
So Dh, the pupsters and I just spent a week RVing at a campground that is age restricted: no one between the age of 2 and 14 even allowed on the grounds, and is constructed totally in mind of dogs and their people. Three dog parks allocated to size, a pond, agility course and dog bath. You can set up x-pens on your site, each morning sees a parade of folks walking their dogs along the paths, exchanging hellos - both dogs and people, though people don't sniff butts smile rolling left righteyes2 It's a wonderful place. The four nights we were there, I didn't need my usual sleeping pills to be able to nod off.

Due to the sudden escalation in temps, and because our crew is working on their socialization skills,we were up early each morning to take our five to the small dog park. One morning, one of the volunteers who spends the season working in exchange for free camping came into the park with her handsome mutt. The relaxed atmosphere and mutual love for dogs made it easy for normally reserved Dh and I to strike up an animated conversation with her. With that came some history of the campground that made this childfree person chuckle in an evil fashion

Sure, the campground owners originally started the facility with the intent to make it specifically target dog people, but it was to be family friendly as well. I mean - kids and dogs? What a wonderful combination! The volunteer lady shook her head and said "that didn't last even two years. I thought the owners would stop allowing kids before the first season was over (the campground is not open in the winter), they caused such trouble, but they stuck it out for two years while they built a following for this place."

She then qualified her attitude ("hey! I'm a mother and have grandkids!") but went off into a detailed harangue. The parents refused to corral their kids, the brats treated the agility course like their own playground, kept throwing trash into the pond, broke into the utility buildings and stole stuff, and refused to follow the standard social cues with the dogs, causing dogs to nip and be aggressive. The families who also brought dogs - well, if they didn't train their kids, they definitely didn't train the dogs. Those mutts caused the most trouble. And, of course, once the family of campers left, the volunteers usually had to spend the most time policing the spot, getting it ready for the next RV that had a reservation.

After the second year, a new rule was instituted: no kids between two and fourteen years of age. I guess under 2 and the kid is mostly under the control of the parents. Over 14, few young people are interested in camping with parents at a facility that is so far out in the country that cell phone reception is spotty and the wifi reception is like sludge. You're not allowed to do anything but surf the web and check e-mail. If streaming video is detected by the provider, you're cut off.

There were only a half-dozen or so campers during the days we were there, but absolutely no kids of any age. As Friday rolled around and we made plans to leave, the holiday RVers started to roll in. We were told that the place would be full over the weekend. I asked the volunteer lady what percentage of campers would have kids, she *shrugged* and said that, out of the 40 sites, maybe 3 or 4 would have kids. And those were usually first timers or parents who actually made sure both the four leg and two leg critters behaved.

So, we'll definitely be going back. We met the owners, who are totally dog-besotted and not the least apologetic for the philosophy by which they run the camp: dogs and their people come first. Anything that disrupts the peace and pleasure of that existence is not allowed to continue.
Re: Oh vindication
May 22, 2015
Dorisan
So Dh, the pupsters and I just spent a week RVing at a campground that is age restricted: no one between the age of 2 and 14 even allowed on the grounds, and is constructed totally in mind of dogs and their people. Three dog parks allocated to size, a pond, agility course and dog bath. You can set up x-pens on your site, each morning sees a parade of folks walking their dogs along the paths, exchanging hellos - both dogs and people, though people don't sniff butts It's a wonderful place. The four nights we were there, I didn't need my usual sleeping pills to be able to nod off.

Wait, are you saying that people are not suppose to sniff butts?

grinning smiley

It sounds like a very nice and relaxing place.

I got home a short while ago - and the traffic ~ I was thinking to myself: I'd really like to throw a beating on someone! angry smiley
I will confine my griping to the two worst incidents - at one intersection, which is like 10 lanes and has a giant video billboard blasting advertising at you - I go to turn right, the light just turned red but the green right arrow was lit - so I could've eased into that lane and gone sailing right through -

Except there were 2, 3 people who decided to run the red from the oncoming and go left - so - that would've been the end of me.
Later, nearing home, I go from one 'residential' but 4 lane rd, turn R on a smaller (2 lane residential) rd - and right around the corner *stopped truck in the middle of the road* angry smiley

Could not pass, oncoming traffic. And do you think the guy moved? NO. angry smiley

smile rolling left righteyes2

I need to go to a more relaxing place. This is madness.

Oh, but our wifi is like sludge, too! You'd think they could do better if they can erect monstrously large video bill boards - but I guess not smile rolling left righteyes2

I am envious of your relaxing trip! smiling smiley

I was asked what I'm doing "For the Holiday" - nothing! I'm not leaving my house! All the drunks and loonies will be out! Worse than the usual. Where could you go to relax? Somebody told me that they're going to some kind of a party 'at the beach'. Good luck with that. You better get there by 5 am or there will be no place to park. Why not just stay home and bang your head against the wall? Wouldn't that be easier?

I need to move. Sorry for griping. I thought this was such a 'contrast' to your relaxing holiday tale. This is my happy holiday tale, ha.

Stories like this inspire me to keep working on my plans, too, thanks for sharing and I'm glad you had a nice time smiling smiley
May 22, 2015
It sounds wonderful! Where is it?
May 22, 2015
Sounds very lovely indeed, Dorisan! I wish there could be such a place for kitteh people! (Though I realize that would be quite different, given the nature of kittehs - hiss hiss, growl growl... and a bath?!)
May 23, 2015
I just made some plans with a friend - for this (US) "Holiday Weekend" -

Other's might want to do sim in their area -

We're going "Garage Sale - ing" thumbs upwink

You can stick close to home and not have to battle traffic - and plenty of people have 'left town' - on their Famblee Holidays and such.

So ~ We'll have a better chance at "The Goodies" smiling smiley

Works for all areas - keep this activity in mind ~
While they are out bathing in the viscous filth holes of 'water parks' - We can be picking up the fab finds!

thumbs upwink
May 23, 2015
kittehpeoples

I'll PM you. It could be googled, I guess, it's a pretty unique place, but I'd rather not spread knowledge of its existence far and wide to lurking breeders. There have been a couple of comments on campground review sites that blasted them for not allowing kids.
May 23, 2015
Medusa
Sounds very lovely indeed, Dorisan! I wish there could be such a place for kitteh people! (Though I realize that would be quite different, given the nature of kittehs - hiss hiss, growl growl... and a bath?!)

Wellll, we took Fiona cat with us, though, she thinks she's a dog. Seriously. We had a large x-pen set up to contain the dogs. She went outside, scanned the area with interest, and settled down on the rug. Never once made a leap over the fence for freedom.

Fiona is a very weird cat - she never jumps. It's the same at home with the 3' tall picket fence around the yard. She never makes an escape, only ever going out into the larger yard if we accidentally leave the gate open.
May 23, 2015
I wish to Odin more places like that exist. I've become such a hermit because I hate going out and dealing with nasty people and their nasty spawn. My depression and general health would probably benefit from me getting more regular sunshine, but I know anyplace I go is going to be filled with idiots and shrieking children.
May 23, 2015
stillwaters
I wish to Odin more places like that exist. I've become such a hermit because I hate going out and dealing with nasty people and their nasty spawn. My depression and general health would probably benefit from me getting more regular sunshine, but I know anyplace I go is going to be filled with idiots and shrieking children.

Don't know what part of the country you are in, but maybe take up motorcycle riding? If you don't want to go the bike-clutch route, check the larger scooters: 250cc and up. Just twist 'n go, much easier than a motorcycle.

It's been some years; things have just gotten too busy; but during the worst years at The Job From Hell, I'd pack my rig with camping gear and detailed maps of the country in a 200 mile perimeter and head out for the weekend or several days. Dh had no problem with it (though I got some horrified comments "your husband lets you do that?!"), he knew that I needed the downtime or there'd be hell at home. I'd take a route along the narrowest lines on the maps, meaning that those were likely to be less-traveled back roads, and just spend a few days toodling.

The days on my own, just meandering back roads and taking in the scenery, were the best antidote for the depression and barely have the will to live cloud I was under at that time.
May 23, 2015
Dorisan
stillwaters

Don't know what part of the country you are in, but maybe take up motorcycle riding? If you don't want to go the bike-clutch route, check the larger scooters: 250cc and up. Just twist 'n go, much easier than a motorcycle.

It's been some years; things have just gotten too busy; but during the worst years at The Job From Hell, I'd pack my rig with camping gear and detailed maps of the country in a 200 mile perimeter and head out for the weekend or several days. Dh had no problem with it (though I got some horrified comments "your husband lets you do that?!"), he knew that I needed the downtime or there'd be hell at home. I'd take a route along the narrowest lines on the maps, meaning that those were likely to be less-traveled back roads, and just spend a few days toodling.

The days on my own, just meandering back roads and taking in the scenery, were the best antidote for the depression and barely have the will to live cloud I was under at that time.

That, actually sounds like heaven! I love getting out and doing things alone - I'm such an introvert and loner!
May 23, 2015
That place sounds fucking awesome. My Chinese Crested and I would have a blast. I've always thought she would take well to agility (I did it as a youngster myself with a GSD) if I had the time.
May 23, 2015
im not a huge dog person, even though I own one myself, and definitely not a camper, but it sounds like a truly great place.

good to here there are places out there, where kids arnt aloud for the sake of the animals and people who own them.
May 23, 2015
Dorisan
kittehpeoples

I'll PM you. It could be googled, I guess, it's a pretty unique place, but I'd rather not spread knowledge of its existence far and wide to lurking breeders. There have been a couple of comments on campground review sites that blasted them for not allowing kids.

Wise and understandable. Thank you. smiling smiley
May 24, 2015
For those 'rugged' enough - you might want to try the US / Canadian Great Lakes region.

The Lower / Southern part is not bad, and IIRC is on the same latitude as "the South of France". So it's warmer.

Farther North has a more harsh climate. Once you pass Mid MI - OK, I am reading this book about this all and one thing they use as a marker is the change from Deciduous to Boreal Forests. And that change happens right around Mid MI. There are 'different eco systems' and climates here.

The shores of Lake Superior and cooler and drier. Here in Chi Town - it's a hot, swampy Jungle. I found that out the hard way, erg.

The farther N you go, the more extreme and colder weather.

I don't know 'how far N' I could hack it. I have camped in Upper MI and traveled around Lower Canada.
But during Late Fall (Autumn) at the latest.

IMO you'd probably want to watch going into these areas after Halloween. If not earlier - they may get snow starting in late Sept. and Early October.

If you can 'hack it' - or arrange things - it's Fantastic scenery! Some of the last true Wilderness.

To live there? Especially if you like your 'creature comforts'? Would take a great deal of planning and preparation. I read a great deal on this, I am interested in solar power, geo thermal, you could theoretically generate your own electricity off of a small stream ~
It's all complex stuff. Spending a week camping in the Summer or even Fall is far different than living there year round.

Might be of interest to travelers and those looking to relocate. No lack of water, in any case grinning smiley

Might be an area of interest for some. Not too hard to traverse in the Summer either, plenty of 'tourists' things and camping areas. Winter is what you have to watch. But "Winter Camping" is a thing too, and various other winter activities, fishing, sport, skiing, etc.
Huge tourism in all seasons, for those unfamiliar - might be an area (s) to check out (remember - there's wildly divergent weather here, keep that in mind.)

In any case - what I really wanted to talk about is the Log C ~ I just purchased!!!

Is it a Log Cabin?

No - It's a LOG CANDLE! smiling smiley
One of those candles that looks like it has tree bark on the outside.

YAY! It's pretty cool and I love it! thumbs upwink

Oooo - maybe it's a sign?
May 25, 2015
stillwaters
Dorisan
stillwaters

That, actually sounds like heaven! I love getting out and doing things alone - I'm such an introvert and loner!

I definitely recommend it. If you have a mate, it would be best to reach an understanding before getting into this. Lone female riders are hard for people to accept. On a long western ride to visit family, I got pulled over by a cop in western Kentucky. I always-always dress gender neutral (some assholes get a kick out of trying to terrorize lone female riders) so the cop thought I was a guy, clearly showing shock when I pulled off my helmet to talk to him. I wasn't doing anything wrong, the doughy bastard was just bored and decided to pull over a rider and give them shit. He definitely went into scandalized mode when he saw that I was a woman! riding! by herself!

Fucknut. I stared off into the distance and zoned out as he tried to lecture me about my very-very unsafe activity, how he'd never let his wife or daughters do such a damned fool thing ... yadda yadda. I gave him about three minutes to yap and then broke into his tirade to ask if I had committed a driving violation, there were storm clouds on the horizon and I wanted to get to my hotel before the weather broke. He eventually let me go after running my license, but before I got out of Kentucky, I had another local yokel cop shadow me for several miles and then a state trooper who pulled up alongside me, gave me a look-over, waved and moved on.
May 25, 2015
Dorisan

I definitely recommend it. If you have a mate, it would be best to reach an understanding before getting into this. Lone female riders are hard for people to accept. On a long western ride to visit family, I got pulled over by a cop in western Kentucky. I always-always dress gender neutral (some assholes get a kick out of trying to terrorize lone female riders) so the cop thought I was a guy, clearly showing shock when I pulled off my helmet to talk to him. I wasn't doing anything wrong, the doughy bastard was just bored and decided to pull over a rider and give them shit. He definitely went into scandalized mode when he saw that I was a woman! riding! by herself!

Fucknut. I stared off into the distance and zoned out as he tried to lecture me about my very-very unsafe activity, how he'd never let his wife or daughters do such a damned fool thing ... yadda yadda. I gave him about three minutes to yap and then broke into his tirade to ask if I had committed a driving violation, there were storm clouds on the horizon and I wanted to get to my hotel before the weather broke. He eventually let me go after running my license, but before I got out of Kentucky, I had another local yokel cop shadow me for several miles and then a state trooper who pulled up alongside me, gave me a look-over, waved and moved on.

Years ago, I used to spend weeks cycle touring alone in the summer.
I would get harassed by cops in a similar manner.
In fact, despite many people's false assumptions, travelling by tricycle alone was mostly a set of great experiences.
The main group of people who were a problem were cops lecturing and hassling me, when I was being perfectly legal and safe in my cycle operation.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login