Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Screaming brats in the pool

Posted by dreamlife 
Screaming brats in the pool
June 24, 2015
What happened to America where people no longer care about their effect on others?

I live in an apartment complex with a nice pool. Most of the time in summer it is infested with screaming brats. I do not understand why the parents do not tell their children not to scream. My ears are still ringing from an encounter this afternoon.

As the screaming can be heard well outside the pool area, I do not go in unless the coast is clear. I tried to go in mid-morning, but maintenance was being done, so I had to go back around noon.

No one was using the pool. Great! Then literally right after I got in, here come three brats and a woman. The brats jump in the pool and immediately start screaming.

I do not ever remember my friends and I screaming when we played. Of course, our parents would not tolerate us assaulting the neighbors' eardrums or generally doing things that should embarrass parents but apparently no longer do.

Another little family came along and started eating a snack at a picnic table. The mother was intently talking to them, and they were all quiet. I forgot they were there. She was engaged with her children. But the "minder" of the brats was messing with her iPhone the whole time. Only once when the youngest he-brat gave an ear-splitting scream did she look up and say his name in a really half-assed "corrective" tone. So now the brat learns that when he shrieks that he will get attention.

The "minder's" friend came along and I heard the "minder" tell her friend that the complex was taking action against her as her family had been delinquent with the rent "only six times in the last seven years." I hope that she and her loud spawn do leave. But there seems to be some urge in brats to scream in the pool, and her leaving will not solve that. There's too many of them, and they don't give a damn about those of us who have the right to be there in peace!

Does anyone have any ideas about why parents have seemed to ceased to care about their children's behavior? It's rude, lacking in thoughtfulness and compassion, and a poor reflection on the parents.
Re: Screaming brats in the pool
June 24, 2015
id take a guess its each generation is getting softer each time, for instance in my grand parents age, they were beaten and expected to be seen and not heard, my parents generation grew up similar but the cop out was if they married young enough, they got to be free of the grandparents rules,

when my siblings generation hit, and I do say that I was on the borderline of the last of this kind, we were still beaten if we misbehaved, taught manners and respect, the notion of seen but not heard was still in effect, but if we did talk, we would at least know how to politely enough that people didn't mind, by my teens, my sibling and I were very different to other kids our own age, we were calmer, quieter, and more skilled.

this meant we stood out like a sore thumb as snobbish or overly mature for our age compared to those around us.

I know my brother wants kids at some point, and he very likely doesn't have enough patience for the task, so they'll either be the best behaved little shits I've ever met, simply because he'd keep them in line so as to not annoy him, or their gunna be the most annoying little hellions because he couldn't be fucked trying after years of repeating the same crap to hope it sinks in.

I do think it mostly depends on how the breeder was raised as to how they go on to raise, one of my friends was raised in a broken home with a mother who didn't want her in a time when custody went straight to the mother, her mum wanted a kid to fix the failing marriage, didn't work, they broke up because of her strain on their marriage, father wanted to raise her because the mother had post baby depression, she was neglected on a daily basis for 6 years before her mum got some shit together, because of this,

she's engaged, but shit scared to marry the guy, she definitely wants kids, but fears it will ruin everything. if she has kids she strikes me as the type to spend every waking minute around them in fear something will happen or they'll feel lonely without her, biased on her child hood of neglect.

on the rare occasion, I do actually believe their are breeders out there with a level head and principals on how they want their kids to be raised, the ones that stick to it, actually do have pretty dam good kids, but the ones that just throw sperm around like baby gravy and have no idea or no plan, their the ones that bring our ears and eyes hell on as a frequented occasions as possible.

and as we all may have noticed, in this day and age of ease and government support to raise children, the planning and fore thought have gone out the window for an "oops, oh well, lets make the best of it" attitude.
June 24, 2015
My understanding is that the high-pitched scream brats do when excited is natural, and they must be taught to not do it, hence another example of why I call them "undomesticated animals", like chimps, which are known to screech.

WHY must they scream, though? The parents/whomever is watching them do not care if they scream or don't even know their snotlings are being annoying. Perhaps they figure that, since it's outside, loud noises are more acceptable?

I get that they can't yet express themselves verbally but why does that have to be replaced with shrieking? Why don't they grunt, moan, et cetera, exclusively when excited instead?

Such behavior is so...primitive. I automatically envision a chimp with its mouth agape, bouncing on a tree limb, and shouting.

The shrill, piercing scream of a toddler is so obnoxious.
June 25, 2015
Can't avoid the little monsters? Drown 'em out! I have an iPod Shuffle clone for when I go to the store. I am getting a genuine, water proofed iPod Shuffle for when I hit the pool. Brat avoidance.

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
June 25, 2015
craftyzits
Can't avoid the little monsters? Drown 'em out! I have an iPod Shuffle clone for when I go to the store. I am getting a genuine, water proofed iPod Shuffle for when I hit the pool. Brat avoidance.

When we bought our house, the neighbors on each side of us didn't have children. But of course that all has changed now. The neighbors on the left have sprogged 2 kids, and the neighbors on the right have their adult daughter with her kid living with them. The grandson is the most obnoxious kid ever. He is so unbelievably fucking loud. He never shuts up and has to yell everything. The other neighbors with the 2 kids set up a kiddie pool and put it between our houses, so we can't avoid hearing that high pitched screaming.

Anyway, my point is that we have a pool (which no kids ever have been in and never will be in). I invested in a waterproof MP3 player and it's a godsend. I swim laps and it's so nice to listen to music and not have to hear the shrieking of brats.

- The human gene pool could use a little chlorine
June 25, 2015
When I was a young brat, if you screamed, somebody's mother would come out of her house and tell you, "Keep screaming and I'll give you something to scream about!" We shut up. Unfortunately, they'd get arrested these days.

I wonder how much urine is in the pool because of the shriekers?
June 25, 2015
Some friends of mine have twins who went through a phase of screaming whenever they wanted something, but they realised this was just an unpleasant phase and that they had to ride it out, ignoring their screams until they finally learned that screaming would get them nowhere- this is what they did, the twins soon got the message and their screaming stopped.

My cousin was the opposite with her daughter- she'd cave into her tantrums, with the result that she was still having tantrums at the age of five.

Perhaps the majority of parents just aren't that bothered about parenting properly and would rather give in to their brats for a quiet life.
June 25, 2015
videogamesforeverkidsnever
My understanding is that the high-pitched scream brats do when excited is natural, and they must be taught to not do it, hence another example of why I call them "undomesticated animals", like chimps, which are known to screech.

WHY must they scream, though? The parents/whomever is watching them do not care if they scream or don't even know their snotlings are being annoying. Perhaps they figure that, since it's outside, loud noises are more acceptable?

I get that they can't yet express themselves verbally but why does that have to be replaced with shrieking? Why don't they grunt, moan, et cetera, exclusively when excited instead?

Such behavior is so...primitive. I automatically envision a chimp with its mouth agape, bouncing on a tree limb, and shouting.

Ha ha great observations! I took a psychology class once where the professor (a dad) said that children are basically like wild animals that you have to domesticate. So you have a professional agreeing with you. I would also be interested in a professional opinion about why parents let it go on.

I also agree with JoJo that back when I was growing up, the adults would say things along the lines of, "Stop crying or I'll give you something to cry about." Those were the bad old days when too many parents were OK with hitting their children for minor reasons. I've been smacked and spanked too many times for minor infractions to be all right with children getting smacked. But there are more creative punishments along the lines of taking away toys or clothes that children (depending on age) would respond to. But once again, that would involve effort on the parts of parents.
June 25, 2015
dreamlife

Ha ha great observations! I took a psychology class once where the professor (a dad) said that children are basically like wild animals that you have to domesticate. So you have a professional agreeing with you. I would also be interested in a professional opinion about why parents let it go on.

I also agree with JoJo that back when I was growing up, the adults would say things along the lines of, "Stop crying or I'll give you something to cry about." Those were the bad old days when too many parents were OK with hitting their children for minor reasons. I've been smacked and spanked too many times for minor infractions to be all right with children getting smacked. But there are more creative punishments along the lines of taking away toys or clothes that children (depending on age) would respond to. But once again, that would involve effort on the parts of parents.

What, pray tell, is wrong with a smack on the rump as a last resort when Junior and/or Sally simply won't listen otherwise? I'm not saying to beat brats into submission for leaving out toys, but they often refuse to listen otherwise, no? A firm smack might make them think twice next time.
June 26, 2015
don't get me wrong im all for kids getting a well deserved smack when nothing else is working or their being more annoying than usual.

but there is research done on what sounds like a group of 90's generation children, where the research actually indicated a lower quality of learning on the physically disciplined children's parts, when used in relation to failing to grasp a concept, like home work, a new skill, or language, when physical beatings occurred, the kids in question would show more difficulty learning for a short period each time, as it taught the brain to fear learning new things, when it was intended to teach the child to try harder or stop stuffing around and pay attention.

its part of why class rooms abandoned the beating kids during school approach (aside from the suing parents).

I cant remember where I found this research, but it was a good interesting read with a large test group, and decent quality findings. I remember reading it because I used to get belted around as a kid (usually because I had done something to deserve it), but as an adult, I enter an anxious panic state, simply by being in the same room as someone showing aggression or anger, even if its not directed at myself, so I wanted to know more about the effects of physical discipline on young minds and adult mental conditions.

I have friends who grew up without ever once being smacked, they said their parents got through to them with crippling disappointment for the child's behaviour, often stating how embarrassed they were to be that child's parent in that moment, this some how worked, and the child would behave in a way that they knew made the parent happy and proud, and they actually grew up to be some of the nicest people I know towards other humans and animals alike.

I doubt this would have worked in my family tree though, I know we were little shits that pushed the boundary's hard every day, but we knew where the line was, well enough not to get belted twice for the same thing. though my brother didn't get belted for academics and he excelled at them, I got hit ALOT daily for not understanding home work, and I barely passed English each year among other studies. so I do believe that research to carry some merit.
June 26, 2015
I have heard that kids who get spanked tend to have lower IQS or something.

"...but as an adult, I enter an anxious panic state, simply by being in the same room as someone showing aggression or anger, even if its not directed at myself, so I wanted to know more about the effects of physical discipline on young minds and adult mental conditions."

Isn't it normal to become anxious when in the presence of someone who is being aggressive, regardless of one's upbringing, and even if said aggression is not directed at them?

It seems to me that most of us would get at least a little nervous.
June 27, 2015
Isn't it normal to become anxious when in the presence of someone who is being aggressive, regardless of one's upbringing, and even if said aggression is not directed at them?

It seems to me that most of us would get at least a little nervous.

i'd imagen so, but I get sick, cant eat, or think, become weak and shakey and want to hide, even if its just two people squabbling over the price of a drink order nearby (which has nothing to do with me at all). so yeah i'd imagen my experience isn't considered "the norm" for most people, hence why I want to look into it.
June 27, 2015
exile
i'd imagen so, but I get sick, cant eat, or think, become weak and shakey and want to hide, even if its just two people squabbling over the price of a drink order nearby (which has nothing to do with me at all). so yeah i'd imagen my experience isn't considered "the norm" for most people, hence why I want to look into it.

You have a hyper sensitive fight-flight response, that tends toward flight. You get put into fight-flight by that most people can discard.

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
June 28, 2015
craftyzits
You have a hyper sensitive fight-flight response, that tends toward flight. You get put into fight-flight by that most people can discard.

that sounds more than plausible, I will do some research into it, thanks smiling smiley
June 28, 2015
exile
I have friends who grew up without ever once being smacked, they said their parents got through to them with crippling disappointment for the child's behaviour, often stating how embarrassed they were to be that child's parent in that moment, this some how worked, and the child would behave in a way that they knew made the parent happy and proud, and they actually grew up to be some of the nicest people I know towards other humans and animals alike.

This is how I was raised. I was spanked when I was young, but that stopped by the time I was old enough see how my behavior affected others. I hated having my mom angry or disappointed in me. She was always the greatest mom unless she was torqued at us, then it was just no fun.

I think parents today don't feel they're even allowed to show anger or disappointment to their kids. It's all best-buddies-all-the-time, no matter what. And the kids learn Jack shit about how their nasty behavior has an impact on others around them.
June 28, 2015
exile
craftyzits

that sounds more than plausible, I will do some research into it, thanks smiling smiley

Your very welcome!

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
June 29, 2015
dreamlife

I assume the handlers allow it to happen for a few reasons: laziness/apathy, don't want to be seen as a "mean" parent by other parents, and most of all, they're ascared of their kids not being their BFFs and uttering those three earth-shattering words: "I hate you."

stillwaters
I think parents today don't feel they're even allowed to show anger or disappointment to their kids. It's all best-buddies-all-the-time, no matter what. And the kids learn Jack shit about how their nasty behavior has an impact on others around them.

Seems like the current generation of young parents are of the mindset that expressing deserved anger and disappointment toward their children will somehow scar them for life, so they reached the conclusion that they have to be their kids' friends, not their parents. The kids grow up believing their shitty behavior is just fine and/or they just don't learn to care about anyone other than themselves.

After all, they never face any consequences, so they have nothing to be afraid of. Moos won't smack their kids, and if they verbally discipline them, it's the weakest, most half-assed request you'll ever hear. Not a demand or an order, but a request. And then they hug the kid. The kids know they can get away with anything, so they do whatever they want and fuck everyone else. Even stupid kids will learn to quit acting like monsters after a few slaps across the ass because they know what'll be coming if they keep on acting up.

But since the breeders won't get off their asses and do their "jobs," we all get to listen to the demonic shrieking of an undisciplined tard while Moo tunes it out and goes about her day.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login