Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Moo and brats invading my privacy. angry smiley

Posted by mumofsixbirds 
Re: Moo and brats invading my privacy. angry smiley
June 28, 2015
Where I live, if I want any decent plot of land, I'd have to buy a lot and build a home on it. Houses being built here nowadays have postage stamp-sized yards. I don't want to live in the country because that just makes things more difficult. I have to find some in-between and it'll be cheaper to build than buy a ready-made home. Plus, nobody is building Craftsman-style bungalows here anymore and I'm not spending $1,000,000+ for one in Del Ray.

------------------------------------------------------------
"Why children take so long to grow? They eat and drink like pig and give nothing back. Must find way to accelerate process..."
- Dr. Yi Suchong, Bioshock

"Society does not need more children; but it does need more loved children. Quite literally, we cannot afford unloved children - but we pay heavily for them every day. There should not be the slightest communal concern when a woman elects to destroy the life of her thousandth-of-an-ounce embryo. But all society should rise up in alarm when it hears that a baby that is not wanted is about to be born."
- Garrett Hardin

"I feel like there's a message involved here somehow, but then I couldn't stop laughing at all the plotholes, like the part when North Korea has food."
- Youtube commentor referring to a North Korean cartoon.

"Reality is a bitch when it slowly crawls out of your vagina and shits in your lap."
- Reddit comment

"Bitch wants a baby, so we're gonna fuck now. #bareback"
- Cambion

Oh whatever. Abortion doctors are crimestoppers."
- Miss Hannigan
June 29, 2015
Living in the countryside has some disadvantages.

I do a lot of online shopping because getting out
and buying different things like f.e. paint colours
and my favourite cream would lead to a whole day trip.

We have privacy, however it has its price.
We have a big garden with a lot of landscaping = non-stop maintenance
necessary over the season.
There are a lot of wooden structures in the garden - they must be painted
every two years. It's nearly a fulltime job to maintain property like this.

We've also changed our behaviour since living here.
We used to go to the cinema. Now, we don't.
The next cinema is about 1 hour away by car.
If you want to see a movie, you have to sacrifice a half-day for it.
June 29, 2015
The disadvantages of rural living are nothing compared to being in the midst of feral brats and breeders. I leave most of my property natural and keep a small yard and small garden. Most of the people who come from the city and start landscaping and mowing these huge lots of land, eventually give up and it all grows back in. They clear cut about fifteen years ago to do some building and now you can't see the houses from the road. Some guy drained the wetland next to him, that shit's now a lovely green swamp. Rural often equals messy. Lovely finding dead animals around, like a deer, pulling him down the bank for the coyotes and scavengers to finish off. Rotting carcasses and swarms of black flies are better than breeders and brats.

Sometimes you can find something not too far from civilization that still is pretty rural.
June 29, 2015
blondie
The disadvantages of rural living are nothing compared to being in the midst of feral brats and breeders. I leave most of my property natural and keep a small yard and small garden. Most of the people who come from the city and start landscaping and mowing these huge lots of land, eventually give up and it all grows back in. They clear cut about fifteen years ago to do some building and now you can't see the houses from the road. Some guy drained the wetland next to him, that shit's now a lovely green swamp. Rural often equals messy. Lovely finding dead animals around, like a deer, pulling him down the bank for the coyotes and scavengers to finish off. Rotting carcasses and swarms of black flies are better than breeders and brats.

Sometimes you can find something not too far from civilization that still is pretty rural.

Blondie, I agree with you a hundred percent. I'd rather live with the inconveniences of rural life than among a sea of inconsiderate brats and their handlers. We aren't moving too far out, because my husband still has to get to work every day.

The places we are looking at still has decent shopping and other amenities close at hand. The houses are less expensive than where we're living now, too. Where I am, it's a fortune to buy a house. Where we are planning to live, they are far less.

The nice thing is, that things are spaced further apart, there is plenty of farmland and rolling hills, and it's much quieter than where we are. In the summer, the street noise here is extremely disruptive. Not to mention the breeder/brat noise we have to put up with. We are very quiet people ourselves, and don't want to have to put up with constant screaming, shrieking, arguing and traffic noise. It can be unbearable in the summer.

Not to mention, that downtown Vancouver is just a highway drive away, and it really isn't that far away if we want a dose of city shopping and dining. For us, it would be the perfect balance.
June 29, 2015
Mum, take a good look at properties that interest you and note the details

Dh and I learned quite a bit from owning two rural properties: one surrounded by woods and comprised of several acres and the other comprised of a dwelling set on one acre of used up farmland.

What kind of trees are on the property? Living in the southeast, for us it was mostly pine and a few hardwoods like sweet gum. We got rid of as much of the sweet gum as possible. It's not a sturdy tree; branches break easily; and - damn - you do not want to have to deal with the seed balls

The pines - we thinned out all but the strongest. They often have shallow root systems and can be pulled easily from the ground by high winds or ice.

While we were clearing out the sweet gum and sickly pines, we discovered a number of holly trees that had grown up as volunteers. We thinned everything out from around them so they'd grow stronger. Cardinals love that kind of tree.

Sometimes the careful husbandry of land improves it. Not all trees are "good" trees. If they aren't beneficial to the property or cause problems in land maintenance I have no problems with getting rid of them. You might want to check with local regulations on that. Some areas dictate that if it's green and growing, it has to stay. Yeahright. They aren't the ones having to call out a timber cutter to remove a sickly tree that finally gave up and decided to fall on your garage. When we decided to take out trees that were too close to the house, we happened to luck into a guy who was a timber cutter, but also an arborist. It cost us a few hundred extra, but he walked our property and advised us on how it could be improved and made more healthy.

If you live in an area where there are lots of woods, check for hunting allowances. I'm not against the sport, but the notion of drunk rednecks shooting into your property by mistake is not a legend - it happens.

Living rural often means not having the same services as town/city - especially when it comes to water and sewage. We lived with a well for 14 years and said "never again." Some places have good water, ours was sandy and required filters (which we didn't know until we lost a washing machine and water heater to the buildup). Also, wells require tending. We had ours inspected periodically and utilized either heat tape or a warmer lamp in the winter to keep it from freezing. This was even though it was covered with an insulated housing.

We had a septic tank at our old place and now have one at our smaller property. They typically aren't that much trouble. We pay $200 every four years or so to have it cleaned, but where the tank is buried and the septic field - that is space that is pretty much off limits to planting trees or shrubs. You don't want the system to get roots tangled in it.

If you have a gravel driveway, that can be expensive to keep up. It's not that often; we had more rocks put down every 7-8 years; but our first house had a lonnng, sweeping drive. Like 400 feet. That was several thousand dollars every time we freshened the packed rock. And gravel drives can get weedy, no matter how deep the rock. Gawd, I hated that chore, but I had to spray for weeds several times a year.

When looking at property, see if there is a GIS (geographic information system) that you can access online. The GIS for each municipality may be different; they can be tricky to figure out; but you can find out a lot about individual and surrounding properties that way. Property lines, placement of buildings; also property value, previous sales price and taxes. I tend to be an inveterate snoop about that stuff, finding out what our neighbors pay in taxes and how much they paid for their properties smile rolling left righteyes2

Buying a larger tract of rural property can be more complicated than a house in town. Dh and I drove around and pretty much settled on our first place based on the subjective judgement of "oh, that's purty." It cost us more financially and in hard work hours than we anticipated. We were adamant on buying something in the country, but I'm pretty sure we would have passed on that particular property had we been more knowledgeable.
June 29, 2015
Thanks for the advice, Dorisan. I will definitely keep that in mind while we're looking. We don't want a huge lot, just a nice sized yard with a fence around it to keep people out. Husband wants to build a wrought-iron fence around the entire perimeter, so anyone trying to get in will be impaled on the spikes, haha. He values his privacy as much as I value mine.

As for trees, I don't know much about them since I'm a city gal, but you should see the pine trees I have to deal with now! My front yard is COVERED with needles and pine cones all year round, and this year, because we're having a longer summer, has been awful with the falling needles. We can't even use our front yard at all because of it.

My husband knows some arborists through his line of work so maybe he can talk to them once we settle on a place. He also has some knowledge about trees because he grew up in the sticks.

As for water, we have great water in the Lower Mainland, so I'm not too worried about that. I definitely don't want to live in a place with a well, though. I want modern plumbing throughout. We are definitely going to be talking with the realtor about any concerns and issues we have.

We are planning on planting a rose garden in the back, lilac bushes all around, and lots of veggies in the summer. I can't wait to have a decent yard so I can get my hands dirty.
June 29, 2015
In my area, often, rural homes have specifications for minimum acreage.
Planners do not want to split up farmland.
Sometimes, you can find properties that are already severed or are severalable and still rural land.
July 01, 2015
Welp, to add to the existing drama, fasciitis moo upstairs (the moo who claimed that she had to stomp because of her non-existent plantar fasciitis) was playing her music excessively loudly from 6:50am until after Mr. M6 got home from work late in the afternoon. The base from her stereo was driving me batty all day, and I contacted the caretaker who told me she was afraid of this moo, because she had nearly physically assaulted her. The caretaker, who is an absolute sweetheart, brought me an incident report to fill out and send to the property manager.

Anyhow, after listening to the nonstop noise, Mr. M6 rang her doorbell to ask her to turn her music down a little. He was very polite. She then tells Mr. M6 to go fuck himself and started screaming that we have birds, and this is a no pets complex. We are allowed to have our birds here, as management already knows about them and has not given us any problems. Many people in the complex have birds, as I can hear them throughout the courtyard.

I have a sneaking suspicion fasciitis moo is in trouble with her rent, and may be on her way out via eviction. I think the duh left with the kyds, as she is a raging druggie with serious anger problems. Just what I fucking want in a neighbor.

This place is getting worse and worse by the day. My anxiety has climbed, as I woke up with my stomach in knots. I can't wait to give my notice and leave.
July 04, 2015
Hey M6 -

I thought I would read about your area the other day, I like to read about various places and look at the scenery and RE etc. I am not overly familiar with your area. I have not been there - closest to was LA, CA. Which is pretty far away.

Your area kind of reminds me of N. MI. But it appears you don't get much snow. Hmmm. I'm jealous! It looks like we (Chi) are about 8 degrees S. of you. I looked up some spots in MI and even they are not that farther N, 45 - 47N IIRC.

I looked up Manistee, MI, it's around 45. It snows alot there. I was thinking of moving there but I don't know if I could take it. Let alone even further N by Lake Superior.

Oh and while I was looking that up - in the auto fill came up 'Manistee MI Landfill'. LOL. It has it's own website, ha. And other sites discuss it including 'news and reviews'. Ha, this struck me as funny grinning smiley

On a serious note - that can remind us to research any relocation areas carefully. Hey - cheap land! Ooops, it's next to a landfill. Etc.

Agree with what Dorisan said about 'country living' - not that I'd really know too much about that. I cam from Lower MI and now live in Chi. It is 'the same area'. I have traveled and camped in 'the wilderness' - but not in extreme weather. No I am not talking about Wisconsin Dells, either grinning smiley

So I don't know if I could do that myself. Serious 'rural' living in some of the extreme areas 'here'. You have to think things through, everywhere. Of course in even 'exurban' kinds of areas - you can run into well, sewer, and util issues. I saw RE ads in Mid to N MI where it says 'utilities to the road'. Yeah. You have to watch all that. Extending things into where your house will be - possibly even existent structures if there are issues or upgrades are needed - yes will be another cost.

At least you all there in VC seem to have some nicer weather! If you feel you need a change - why not come to the part of Canada in the E here? Learn how to suffer! Ya like snow? Rob Ford! Smoke some crack! The snow is *Canada's fault*! Why you not have moar snow there? MI called - it says to come pick up your snow! LOL

Dorisan is right about the Pine trees too. They are also prone to *fire*. Esp. in big forests - lightning strikes ignite the sap and dry needles quickly. Watch out for those. While I was looking at pix of your area - I did see enough of them.

Anyway, what reminded me of this thread was that - my neighbor's are have a 'block party'. And pretty much nobody came! grinning smiley - it's down at the other end of the street - a couple of houses down there set up tables, there's about 15 people which are likely their friends / famblee. One of those houses over there are one of the few on this street that has kids.

The rest of the street is vacant - over on this end we're all ill tempered recluses grinning smiley thumbs upwink

And - it's *virtually silent* here. All I can hear is the hum of my fan.

It looks like you have nice scenery and weather there, it's a big plus. I can't complain about the weather here myself, either. One of the reasons I stay here - farther N and it becomes a factor. So for the rest of the Summer I'll be sure to complain about the *heat and humidity here* - no worries! grinning smiley
July 06, 2015
Hey Zzelda,

Right now it's baking hot here, with over 170 wildfires burning in the province. It's dry as tinder, and fires are even starting in the Metro Vancouver area because of stupid idiots causing them. We just had one put out on Burnaby Mountain yesterday.

Yesterday there was so much smoke in the air, you could see and smell it. My sister had ash all over her car, and she doesn't live too terribly far away from me. Scary shit.

Where I'll be living is still within the Metro Vancouver area so it won't be too far out into the sticks. We have to keep Mr. M6's job in mind, as I don't want him to have to commute too far away.

The scenery here is fantastic. Vancouver is known for its natural beauty and cosmopolitan glamour. The city, especially with Stanley Park and the ocean, is spectacular. I am definitely not moving too far away from it, because I love it so much.
July 07, 2015
All that smoke has been covering WA too. Thanks! No I mean it! It really turns the sun down a notch. Plus I can look right at the crimson bloody eye of Sauron first thing in the morning.

It's absolutely bad that things are burning, but damn I appreciate the more tolerable temperatures...
I hope they get the fires under control, even though temps here will go back up. smiling smiley
July 08, 2015
Presto
All that smoke has been covering WA too. Thanks! No I mean it! It really turns the sun down a notch. Plus I can look right at the crimson bloody eye of Sauron first thing in the morning.

It's absolutely bad that things are burning, but damn I appreciate the more tolerable temperatures...
I hope they get the fires under control, even though temps here will go back up. smiling smiley

Ah yes, I saw that blood red sun last night driving back from a house viewing.

A house which we are putting an offer on. The place is a steal, so we are basically paying for the land - it's a huge lot - and the house is like a free bonus thrown in. All redone on the inside, with a huge, airy kitchen, new appliances, everything Mr. M6 and I need to spread out and live comfortably. It's over 1500 square feet, and the place we live in now is around 925 square feet.

Best part of all? It's almost all retired people living in the neighborhood, with very few screamers. Very private, on a no-thru road.

The kicker is that our mortgage would cost less than renting another townhouse in a similar area. It's a little further out in a more rural area, but we are really excited about it.

Wish us luck, everyone. I am a first time home buyer and I've never been so excited, besides my wedding day.
July 08, 2015
I don't know about in Canada but in the US you can order anything you want from Amazon. If you have purchased a Kindle in the last year Amazon Prime is free or you can pay the $75 a year and up to (I think) 4 people in the same household can order as much as they was with two day shipping for no additional cost. We use for everything from the giant pack of toilet paper to food items that are delivered to the door. Something like that might help cut down on gas guzzling trips.
July 08, 2015
Thanks for the advice, ecb! I have purchased a few things through Amazon and find it to be very convenient. I actually prefer online shopping over store shopping because of all the breeder nonsense that goes on. It's so much easier.
July 08, 2015
Best of luck. I'll bet the birdies will love it too.
July 08, 2015
I hope it works for you! We have used it for a few years and love it! I'm an Amazon whore and buy a new Kindle every two years and many books each year. I have an Amazon credit account which makes it even easier to buy books as everything else online. It also doesn't cost anymore or even less than at Wal-Mart.
July 09, 2015
blondie
Best of luck. I'll bet the birdies will love it too.

Thank you, blondie! The place has a beautiful, huge patio off the kitchen, and I was thinking the birdies would love to sit out there on sunny days and chat with the wild birds.

I have a feeling I'll need a butterfly net to chase Conner through the house though. He's going to be all over that place.
July 10, 2015
I wish you success.
Bye bye Breederville! :-)
July 10, 2015
mrs. chinaski
I wish you success.
Bye bye Breederville! :-)

Thank you, mrs. chinaski! smiling smiley

Our offer on the house was accepted, including all our terms.

Now we have to wait for the CMHC to insure our mortgage. If that falls through, we lose but I have a very good feeling about this.
July 10, 2015
That looks promising! fingers crossed :-)
July 10, 2015
Congratulations! ...maybe a little premature, so I hope I can say it again soon.
July 10, 2015
Thank you, yurble, we are very excited.

Now we get to sit on pins and needles, as we have to wait 10 working days to find out whether or not we are approved. I will keep you guys updated.
July 10, 2015
mumofsixbirds
Wish us luck, everyone. I am a first time home buyer and I've never been so excited, besides my wedding day.

Having space is great. You get a psychic sense of being able to take deeper breaths because there aren't a bunch of people sharing the same air.
July 12, 2015
Good luck!!!! I'm happy for you, you'll be able to adopt more birdies, if you want. I remember you wanted your birdie to have some company.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
" ... what's one more once you've already got two shedding on the couch?"
July 12, 2015
Thank you everyone! We are going through a gamut of emotions right now, from being excited to nervous to keeping things in check until the CMHC comes through for us. I don't want to get overly excited, in case it doesn't work out, but I find myself fantasizing about what can be done with the place.

First thing in order, Mr. M6 is going to build me a dressing room. There is a big room off of the bedroom which now houses a washer and dryer, but there is additional space and hookups for those and we plan to move them there. He is going to carpet the room, put in a chandelier, floor to ceiling mirrors, and a pedestal sink with shelving for all my shoes, bags, and makeup.

As you can tell, both of us are going off the deep end right now with our planning.

We have a Cuban cigar just waiting to be smoked as soon as we hear the good news. If the news isn't good, we are going to dust ourselves off and get back on the horse again and continue our search.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login