Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

SCOTUS on Marriage and Procreation

Posted by deegee 
Re: SCOTUS on Marriage and Procreation
June 29, 2015
Freaking idiots

Texas clerks can refuse to dispense marriage licenses to gay couples

Paxton noted that clerks who refuse to issue licenses can expect to be sued, but added that “numerous lawyers stand ready to assist clerks defending their religious beliefs,” in many cases without charge.

O'rilly? Name them. And put your money where your fucking mouth is because a lot of those lawyers aren't going to want to spend all their billable hours defending your insane proclamation. I'm sure they have their heterosexual, Christian fundie families to take care of as well.

Fucknut
Asshole
Jerk

angry flipping off
June 29, 2015
I'm happy about the ruling, but I'll never understand why so many gays want to copy the hetero lifestyle. Marriage and kids is not the end-all and be-all of happiness. It's almost like saying "Look at us settling into monogamous relationships and reproducing. We're normal just like you!" Meanwhile, the divorce rate is over 50%. If that's not proof that marriage is an outdated concept, I don't know what is. The marriage debate has taken up so much time and effort that other gay issues have gone unaddressed.

I'm a lesbian, mind you. If people want to get married, fine. I know there are legal and financial benefits that come with it. I just wish society focused less on marriage in general.
June 29, 2015
yurble
Personally, I'm waiting for the slippery slope I was promised, of poly marriages.

Actually, I want to make marriage a purely social affair and get the government out of relationships. Let people make contracts if they want, with as many people as they want, covering aspects of life such as inheritance, end-of-life decisions and financial support.

Allowing homosexual marriage is a step forward, but it merely expands the franchise and still allows romantic couples to gain legal benefits which are denied to singles, non-romantic couples, and romantic multiples. There are advantages and disadvantages to all living situations, and it is not up to the government to mitigate disadvantages to some situations or add extra benefits to others because this effectively promotes certain situations over others, which is not the government's responsibility. The government's only role should be expanding the law against "family status" discrimination to cover all family situations, or repealing it. (Personally I'd like to see more consideration given for people who want to avoid neighbors whose life choices seriously impact their own quality of life.)

As for the comment about marriage not being related to procreation, it's nice to see that. However, it's obvious to me that the government still does encourage procreative relationships, in a number of ways. Obviously the value of procreation is subject to discussion and it is not a given, though you wouldn't know that from how all western governments seem to wail about declining birth rates and offer incentives/privilege to those who prop up the pyramid scheme of modern economic systems.

LOL. You should have heard the argument a family member of mine made. He said that, even 10 years ago, we would have never thought gays could get married.

Now, we don't think it'll ever be possible to marry one's pet but, 10 years from now, that may be possible too.

I simply said that an animal cannot give consent, which is why we can't marry them. He then asked, "Well, what if it benefits the person who wants to marry the animal?"

I again said that animals cannot give consent, and they don't speak English, so they can't say the words "yes" and "no" in regards to sex.

Another family member thinks that gay marriage will open the floodgates to allowing it to be legal to force churches to marry homosexuals because they'll sue for discrimination.

She thinks that pro-gay marriage folks like me throw around the word "bigot" willy nilly to describe anyone who disagrees with us on this issue. I told her that, when people actively work to pass laws to make it so the gays cannot have the same rights they already enjoy as heterosexuals, that's bigotry.

I said that they are allowed to disagree with same-sex marriage and not like it but working to pass anti-gay laws crosses the line from mere opinion to bigotry and forcing one's religious beliefs on others.

She said that WE are being bigoted against THEM, the Christians. I've told them both that they lack critical thinking skills but they just don't get it.
June 30, 2015
There is a term called "Christian Privilege" which causes Christians to take for granted a special, advantaged status they have over everyone else. It gets to the point that any threat to their privileged status is interpreted as being discriminatory against them. We are seeing this in their response to the granting of same-sex marriage to same-sex couples. The Christians are treating a downgrade from a privileged status to equality as discriminatory the same way Whites in the South saw the end of Jim Crow laws and school desegregation as a threat to their "natural order" by having to treat blacks as equals.

Here is a good link to an atheist blog where the blogger describes Christian Privilege:

http://www.atheistrev.com/2010/03/what-is-christian-privilege.html
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login