Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Chicken pox party!

Posted by tea princess 
Chicken pox party!
June 28, 2015
I'm still reading Momma Ashleigh's blog, the one I posted about in the kreative names thread. It's a goldmine, really. She held a "chicken pox party" when her eldest daughter had chickenpox, so that other kids will "get immunized in a natural way" without having to get dem ebil ugly vaccines. She proudly writes that "All of the mothers that came were grateful, now they don't have to get their children vaccinated!" (though it may mean that they're not anti-vaxxers, only cheapskates).
Oh, and besides Nataleigh, Kaileigh and Kimberleigh, apparently she also has a daughter named Baileigh.

http://zedicy542.blogspot.hu/2014/09/chicken-pox-party.html
Re: Chicken pox party!
June 28, 2015
I'll never understand the logic of moos. Why get vaccinated, when you can spend several weeks sick and feeling miserable with a totally unnecessary disease? smile rolling left righteyes2

Does she have relatives named Bratleigh and Tardleigh? bouncing and laughing
June 28, 2015
Yay, maybe they can all get together for a shingles party when they're older!
June 28, 2015
tea princess
"All of the mothers that came were grateful, now they don't have to get their children vaccinated!"

In 60 years or so, when those kids are running the risk of getting shingles, I seriously doubt they'll be grateful to their stupid mothers.
June 28, 2015
I know most kids hate getting shots, but I seriously think even the most retarded child would choose a shot that's over with in two seconds before they'd choose to be itchy and miserable for several weeks. Not to mention that it's entirely possible to get chickenpox more than once (i had it twice myself), so the coveted natural immunity might not do jack shit. And I understand that chickenpox caught in adulthood can be far worse than in childhood, but surely getting a vaccine has to be better than this.

Only a breeder would think it's a good idea to put a bunch of healthy children in a room with a sick kid in hopes of all of them catching the same illness. I've only ever heard about these "parties" in regard to chickenpox, though. I've never heard of pertussis parties or mumps parties, though with more parents forsaking vaccinations, I wouldn't be surprised if such things exist. Fuck, with the existence of the Milwaukee Protocol and its recent success in the case of another rabid child, might anti-vax breeders go so far as to intentionally not get their child rabies shots? After all, they can just have said child put in a medically-induced coma, thus allowing the rabies can run its course and provide natural immunity rather than getting the kid evil government autism-inducing poison.

As usual, breeders are happy to put their kids' health on the line for the sake of their own agenda.
June 28, 2015
skyeyes
tea princess
"All of the mothers that came were grateful, now they don't have to get their children vaccinated!"

In 60 years or so, when those kids are running the risk of getting shingles, I seriously doubt they'll be grateful to their stupid mothers.

Earlier than that. I got them at 50 sad smiley I've since read that shingles can occur at just about any age. Older folks are more prone because of an aging immune system.

I almost wish shingles was more prevalent among younger people. If the cows had to suffer the hellish pain, they might not be so eager to slap the chicken pox party hats on their poor kids.
June 28, 2015
Just today, someone came to the pharmacy to ask my boss about her child's "allergic reaction". Little kid around 3 or 4 immediately whips his shirt up to reveal that he's covered in ugly, angry red bumps. Boss said it's either an extremely bad reaction to something, or that kid has pox. As he's somehow managed to make it past 40 without having them, this freaked him out, since he's procrastinated getting his shot, too. I've had them twice, and while I've since been vaccinated (it wasn't developed yet when I was at that lovely, pox-catching stage), I could still get them again and I'm at high risk for shingles when I'm older, too. He told moo, or grandmoo, I'm not sure which, to get that kid to a doctor ASAP and we even called around to find an urgent care clinic that accepted Medicaid (BIG SURPRISE, RIGHT?!) She never came back to find out which clinic we found and we're pretty sure she just took him home to fill him up with Benadryl. Boss was flipping his shit about spreading disease.
June 28, 2015
Shiny,

You might want to get your titers tested for pox. That will tell you if you're at risk of catching it again in the future. I've never had the pox, so I was tested 4 years ago. the doctor said I have high immunity to chicken pox; nobody has this type of immunity unless they had caught the disease when young. OK, so I was exposed to it when a baby (my sister had it, I was in the same room as her), and am still good.

Get yourself checked out. If your immunity goes down, the docs will see it, and will re-vaccinate you for anything you might need. I'm up to date on all vaccinations (TDAP, MMR) because I refuse to catch anything from some unvaccinated germ vector. Protect yourself.
June 29, 2015
I never had any of these illnesses either. Chicken Pox, Mumps - and isn't there another one sim?

In any case - I've had none of them. I was vaccinated as a child, my siblings, cousins, and school mates all had them - for some reason I never caught any of them.

And I certainly don't want it now!

MEASLES! That was the other one I was thinking of! Never caught that either.

And I surely don't need to catch these things NOW!
June 29, 2015
I had the Mumps and the Chicken Pox back in the 1970s, before vaccines came out.

One thing I learned about the CP back then was that the first sibling usually had a less severe sickness than subsequent siblings. This was because the first sibling typically caught the CP from an outsider and his exposure to that outsider was much smaller than the second sibling whose exposure (to the sick first sibling) was more.

I was the second sibling to catch it and was a total mess, out of school for 2 weeks during the 8th grade (nearly 40 years ago). My brother, meanwhile, had only a fever and managed to play several ice hockey games in an out-of-town tournament, one in which everyone on the team who hadn't had the CP already got it.

I also had a mild cold at the same time which only made me feel worse and made me even more miserable. I had so many sores in my eyebrows that one eyebrow is slightly shorter than the other.

From my experience, I could see why families would have CP "parties" because the parents could try to limit the exposure to the sick kid who has it. However, even a relatively mild version of this disease would not be preferable to the vaccine if it is available. It would surely be a gamble to intentionally inflict the disease on someone in the hope the kid would get a mild version like my brother did as opposed to something even halfway between what he had and what I had (sans a cold). Maybe 40 years ago it might seem like a somewhat plausible option, but surely not today.
June 29, 2015
Peace
Shiny,

You might want to get your titers tested for pox. That will tell you if you're at risk of catching it again in the future. I've never had the pox, so I was tested 4 years ago. the doctor said I have high immunity to chicken pox; nobody has this type of immunity unless they had caught the disease when young. OK, so I was exposed to it when a baby (my sister had it, I was in the same room as her), and am still good.

I'm the same. When the vaccine came out, I asked to be vaccinated and they gave me an antibody test. It came back positive, which isn't so much of a surprise because I was also exposed when all my siblings had it.

The doctor said I must have had it because otherwise I wouldn't have the antibodies, but I don't see how that would be the case. Usually antibodies are present when you're exposed to the disease, but that doesn't mean that you've contracted it; your body could have successfully destroyed the disease.

Or was the doctor trying to tell me that once infected with chicken pox, your body can only prevent an outbreak, but it cannot eradicate the virus? It would be nice to know whether I need to be worried about shingles in the future.
June 29, 2015
deegee
I had the Mumps and the Chicken Pox back in the 1970s, before vaccines came out.

I did too in the 60's, plus measles and German measles. I do remember if some kid in the neighborhood got one of the diseases, the other parents would send their kids to play with the sick kid. Back then, before vaccines, it was thought to be better to have these diseases while still a child, I guess.

I was so sick with those diseases, I wish they had vaccines back then. The only vaccine was for polio.

- The human gene pool could use a little chlorine
June 29, 2015
yurble

I had chicken pox, twice. My sister had chicken pox as a kid and shingles as an adult, at a time when her immune system was low. Shingles are supposed to be incredibly painful.
June 29, 2015
Chicken pox was certainly not fun, but it was considered a rite of passage in my day...though we never had pox "parties". My sister (26 years old) had shingles recently. THAT was miserable. About 1/3rd of people who had the pox will get shingles.

I'd probably opt for the virus over the vaccine in this instance. Other shots (polio, pertussis, MMR, etc) are a different story. Those should be mandatory. IMHO. angel with halo
June 30, 2015
yurble
Peace
Shiny,

I'm the same. When the vaccine came out, I asked to be vaccinated and they gave me an antibody test. It came back positive, which isn't so much of a surprise because I was also exposed when all my siblings had it.

The doctor said I must have had it because otherwise I wouldn't have the antibodies, but I don't see how that would be the case. Usually antibodies are present when you're exposed to the disease, but that doesn't mean that you've contracted it; your body could have successfully destroyed the disease.

Or was the doctor trying to tell me that once infected with chicken pox, your body can only prevent an outbreak, but it cannot eradicate the virus? It would be nice to know whether I need to be worried about shingles in the future.

Essentially, you may have been exposed to a low virulent strain, it in a way that your body created an immunity without actually getting sick. This is precisely how vaccines work. However, what may also occur, is that someone may contract it, fight most of the bug off, but residual bugs remain active in the person in low enough amounts to not actually cause any symptoms, which allows them to go around unknowingly infecting others. The bug itself can also reemerge later in life as shingles or a more virulent strain.

What these anti-vax moos don't understand (or don't care) is that their sneuflaykes are going around infecting others who don't have the immunity to fend it off, and these are the ones that will be ones who suffer - no their precious sneuflaykes. The only time they do act is once the disease hits their crotchfruit, but then the damage has been done.
June 30, 2015
freya
yurble

I had chicken pox, twice. My sister had chicken pox as a kid and shingles as an adult, at a time when her immune system was low. Shingles are supposed to be incredibly painful.

When I had them, I had to go to a doc in a box because my regularly doctor couldn't see me right away. Doc gave me herpes medicine and kind of tossed out a comment "the pain has been known to cause people to become depressed. Some even think of suicide. " I think now that he might have been testing me to see if that was going on in my head. It wasn't, my mental process was more "fuck, this hurts. fuckfuckfuck this hurrrrts" and I was more homicidal than suicidal. I warned Dh to keep himself and the animals out of my way because I was feeling particularly snarly angry smiley

Makes me wonder if the chicken pox party moos realize what they may face down the road if they are still alive when their children are middle age or older and come down with shingles. In the midst of the pain, I'd be lashing out at mom "I wouldn't be going through this agony if you hadn't drug me to that fucking pox party and gotten me the vaccine instead." hitting over the head with a hammer
June 30, 2015
Shingles and permanent scarring? Who cares, it's NATCHURUL.
June 30, 2015
nokidsandhappy
yurble
Peace
Shiny,

Essentially, you may have been exposed to a low virulent strain, it in a way that your body created an immunity without actually getting sick. This is precisely how vaccines work. However, what may also occur, is that someone may contract it, fight most of the bug off, but residual bugs remain active in the person in low enough amounts to not actually cause any symptoms, which allows them to go around unknowingly infecting others. The bug itself can also reemerge later in life as shingles or a more virulent strain.

What these anti-vax moos don't understand (or don't care) is that their sneuflaykes are going around infecting others who don't have the immunity to fend it off, and these are the ones that will be ones who suffer - no their precious sneuflaykes. The only time they do act is once the disease hits their crotchfruit, but then the damage has been done.
OMG fucking retards out there really think wandering around with live virus is BETTER than a deactivated vaccine that confers the same immunity as well as lowering your odds of shingles later in life?
I wish we had jail for these murderous idiots who care so little for the variety of people who can't be immunized but could be killed by these oh so natchurl germ vectors shedding their live viruses carelessly.
:eyebrows
1% chance of shingles after chickenpox vaccine vs. 33% chance of shingles after the all natchurl suffering, itching and being down for the count with the viral illness of it depending on age. My sister had it at 8, and had a much harder time than I did at 2.

Stupidity should be painful. Maybe the fucking idiots among us would get a clue.
June 30, 2015
I avoided chicken pox, despite driving a school bus for 5 years, including the yearly chicken pox season...and still didn't catch it.
only caught it because of a damned stupid moo cow relative of my sister in law who always dragged her sick brat everywhere no matter what. she had never had it either.
I had a mild case of it. Next time I saw her I mentioned that I got the damn thing from her. She grinned like a possum eating shit and said she hadn't caught it. Well, you can be either naturally immune or mild exposure. I guess karma was on my side as she came down with it a very short while later and was totally laid up from it.
hahahahaha

two cents ¢¢

CERTIFIED HOSEHEAD!!!

people (especially women) do not give ONE DAMN about what they inflict on children and I defy anyone to prove me wrong

Dysfunctional relationships almost always have a child. The more dysfunctional, the more children.

The selfish wants of adults outweigh the needs of the child.

Some mistakes cannot be fixed, but some mistakes can be 'fixed'.

People who say they sleep like a baby usually don't have one. Leo J. Burke

Adoption agencies have strict criteria (usually). Breeders, whose combined IQ's would barely hit triple digits, have none.
July 01, 2015
nokidsandhappy

Thanks for the clarification. I'm guessing it was not a low virulent strain, because my sister infected my other siblings (who did not share a room), while I (who did share a room) did not get it.

In general I don't have a good immune system, so it's nice to know it got this one thing right.
July 01, 2015
Like Deegee, I got chicken pox and mumps as a kid in the 1970s. In fact, the former hit at age 12, which is plenty old enough to remember the pus-filled "pimples", constant taste and smell of pus in your sinuses and throat, etc.—just nasty, and my memories are still quite vivid. That was during a hot and sticky summer. Then the next summer I caught mumps at 13. No complications from either disease; in fact, as with most who catch them, neither was that big an event in the scheme of things.

Let me present a flip side of the chicken pox vaccine question, though. When developed, the vaccine was known to be good for only about 5 years, meaning that periodic boosters would be necessary. For this reason, the company that developed the vaccine was actually against making it mandatory for children, but states' legislators fell all over themselves at the urging of the Centers for Disease Control to do so anyway.

I'm agnostic on the whole vaccines question in this sense: not an antivaxxer, but I suspect that some of the vaccinations given today that weren't given 25 or more years ago might in fact pose a problem for certain children. I mean, come on, giving newborns a hepatitis-B vaccine hours after birth? In most cases can't that wait? We've also seen a huge rise in food and other allergies and in asthma in children, which are immune system overreactions. Some think that the present vaccine regimen might be to blame by affecting normal development of that system so that it overreacts to innocuous things.

It is also plain that vaccines are a pretty big profit center for doctors and Big Pharma, which have been given broad immunity from lawsuits over complications from vaccinations. It might pay to be a little more suspicious—not like the extreme antivaxxers, but perhaps we should maintain some skepticism about authorities and businesses that push anything on us and attempt to make it mandatory...
July 01, 2015
Erm, much more likely to be special sneauxflayke moomies locking up their indigo crystal darlings away from dirt, nature, and wrastling in the mud, causing the overreacting immune responses that are all the rage today. Not nearly enough minimal challenges to be conquered, those immune systems are bored as hell.

You know it's true... Why do they even give out tetanus shots to the little buggers anymore? All they're doing is interacting with screens. No danger of stepping on dirty metal or infected sharp anything but their own feces inside the self contained world that is mcmansion OR apartment dweller lifestyle these days.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login