Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Article: Singled Out: Are Unmarried People Discriminated Against?

Posted by Techie 
Article: Singled Out: Are Unmarried People Discriminated Against?
June 30, 2015
Every now and then some folks mention how single and Child-Free people are often being discriminated against. For some CF folks, being CF and single goes hand in hand.

Earlier today, I searched the internet for auto insurance companies that are friendly to single men. I did not find a single car insurance company that even remotely would mention that single men would not pay a higher rate, I instead found many companies who advertize good rates for "your teen driver". No surprise there, breeder pleasing all the way.

What I also did find is many articles that speak about the discrimination that single people encounter. Here is one of many articles like that:

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/02/06/singled-out-are-america-s-unmarried-discriminated-against.html

TheDailyBeast
Singled Out: Are Unmarried People Discriminated Against?

...Activists say that unmarried people are systematically discriminated against. They pay more for health and car insurance than married people do. They don’t get the same kind of tax breaks. Co-op boards, mortgage brokers, and landlords often pass them over. So do the employers with the power to promote them. “Singleism—stereotyping, stigmatizing, and discrimination against people who are single—is largely unrecognized and unchallenged,” says activist Bella DePaulo, the author of Singled Out...

...“The argument of advocates of same-sex marriage is, why do we have to be a certain kind of a couple in order to be treated fairly?” says DePaulo. “My argument is wider-reaching: why does anyone have to be part of any kind of couple to get the same federal benefits and protections as anyone else?” She adds: “People don’t notice singleism, and if their attention is called to it, they think there’s nothing wrong.” That’s why, for instance, car and health insurance companies get away with charging less for couples and families. “They can attract more business [that way],” DePaulo notes. In the process, they leave single people to essentially subsidize the benefit by paying more. “When married workers can add spouses to a health-care plan at a discount and single workers can’t add someone important to them, that’s discrimination,” says DePaulo...

...The U.S. government not only turns a blind eye to the problem of “singleism,” but helps enforce it, activists say. Just look at Social Security. “A childless singleton can work side by side with a childless married person, doing the same job, for the same number of years, at the same level of accomplishment—and when the married person dies, that worker can leave his or her Social Security benefits to a spouse,” says DePaulo. “The single person’s benefits go back into the system.”...

...“Married people had a supermajority of political power at the time the [current tax] rules were enacted,” Kahng notes. But today? “Single people continue to be marginalized even though they comprise close to half the adult U.S. population,” she says. That might have something to do with their lack of homogeneity as a group. Says Klinenberg, “There are so many different kinds of singles”—unmarried parents and the childless, those who cohabitate with partners and those who live alone, the young and the old—“that single people have had trouble organizing as a political bloc. But there are now so many ... it’s hard not to pay attention to them.”

That’s especially true given how much they contribute to society—more, activists argue, than married couples with families. “On average, singles have more disposable income,” Klinenberg says. “They're fueling urban economies that would be in much worse shape without them. And compared to married people, they’re more likely to spend time with neighbors, to participate in public events, and to volunteer.” (If any of that surprises you, think about how much less free time your married friends and colleagues have after their children are born.)...

...Singles may also be contributing more at the office, without being compensated for it, activists say. “Studies have shown that singles are often paid less than married people, even if they share the same title, responsibilities, and years of experience,” says Langburt. “And if you agree that time equals dollars, then it doesn’t stop there: there’s maternity leave, all the time off leading up to the pregnancy for doctors’ visits, and sick days.” On top of that, it’s de rigueur for companies to provide benefits for spouses and children—without providing equivalent perks for singles...

More at the link

I see very little difference between Jim Crow laws and the current legal situation for single people. The only difference was that Jim Crow laws were contained to the USA where discrimination against single people is global.
Re: Article: Singled Out: Are Unmarried People Discriminated Against?
June 30, 2015
I've attempted to explain to numerous people that their tax breaks for A, B, C and D are tax penalties to anyone who doesn't receive such tax breaks. A tax break to you is an implicit tax penalty to anyone not receiving said break. Most cannot compute this, guessing it is because they don't pay an explicit tax.

Same logic applies with all these famblees rushing to buy back to skool clothing because they offer it "tax free."
They aren't able to comprehend "tax free" usually is less than 10% off and it would make financial sense to hold off until the 25% on Labor Day. Let the stores make their money off the stupid tax!
June 30, 2015
Here is one of the 2 comments from the article, but it points out that the discrimination against single people is a global issue:

nannyb
I live in the UK and am growing increasingly frustrated at being discriminated against because I'm single. If I'd stayed married, retired on my government pension and then died, my husband would have received £12500 a year pension for life. I can't nominate my children to receive any part of this, so it goes back into the system.

I recently tried to book a touring holiday in the U.S. on line, advertised in a national newspaper. I accept that I have to pay an exorbitant supplement as a single traveler, but this time a pop up informed me that all rooms on all dates were full. For curiosity I started to book the same holiday for 2 people and - like magic - all rooms were available on all dates! Seems we're not even entitled to enjoy the same leisure experiences as married folk.

Add to that even some local leisure activities that are designed for couples and not single people.
June 30, 2015
Techie
Here is one of the 2 comments from the article, but it points out that the discrimination against single people is a global issue:

nannyb
I live in the UK and am growing increasingly frustrated at being discriminated against because I'm single. If I'd stayed married, retired on my government pension and then died, my husband would have received £12500 a year pension for life. I can't nominate my children to receive any part of this, so it goes back into the system.

I recently tried to book a touring holiday in the U.S. on line, advertised in a national newspaper. I accept that I have to pay an exorbitant supplement as a single traveler, but this time a pop up informed me that all rooms on all dates were full. For curiosity I started to book the same holiday for 2 people and - like magic - all rooms were available on all dates! Seems we're not even entitled to enjoy the same leisure experiences as married folk.

Add to that even some local leisure activities that are designed for couples and not single people.

Yes! Hotel rooms, etc. who want to offer the package vacation or trip. We spend so much more as singles!
June 30, 2015
One part of the article reminded me of what happened back in 2008 when I was still working and trying to find a way to stay on my employer's health insurance plan even though I had reduced my weekly hours worked to 12, not enough to remain eligible.

I had offered to pay 100% of the premiums (I was paying 50% of them before I had reduced my weekly hours worked from 20 to 12) which I thought would be a no-brainer for the company to accept. But instead, they turned me down, crying poverty because they could not afford to offer me coverage.

I replied that the company was already providing subsidized coverage to hundreds of people who contributed zero to the company's current bottom line, unlike me who still was. Those covered people included spouses and children of covered employees as well as retirees. I also said that if I were to quit the company and marry a current employee, I could then receive subsidized coverage even though I was no longer working and contributing to the company's bottom line. Simply being married to a covered employee and not working for the company was more deserving of health insurance than being a single, part-time worker who had become ineligible for health insurance coverage even if that employee had offered to pay 100% of the premiums.

They didn't budge, so I left the company and retired.
June 30, 2015
AGREE COMPLETELY!

I make fairly good money - I'm constantly broke. I think I have like 31 cents on me.

And I am a Liberal person, probably pretty far Left, and have NO problem paying taxes. "It's for the good of all". Sure. No problem. I'm happy to pay tax!

But now - things seem to be getting very unfair. IMO it's BIG BIZ that needs to start kicking in! Ohhh! But they'll move elsewhere! HELLO! Am I the last person on Earth who knows what Tariff means? smile rolling left righteyes2

I can't with this. I think about these things day in and day out because I'm in Int'l Biz (Commodities analyst and broker.) I mean - BROKE.

(If you want to know how all this (recent) started - look here.)

I can't with this. I am DONE with this! The whole of 'society' and their 'systems'. Which mainly reward Cheaters N Breeders. Why do you think I talk about moving? And some of my plans go to 'dropping out of society completely'. I'm DONE. I need something new. I'm burnt out far more than I let on, even to myself.

Whoops! I better be careful about talking about that 31 cents - Tax Man's watching! smile rolling left righteyes2
And what about FOOD?

When I was single (and studying) I had to buy stuff together with my roommate.
Items were sold in packages which a single person could not use up.
So we bought one package of something and then split it 50:50.

Now you have also small packages for singles but when you look at
"family package" of the same item you'll find out that you always
pay more per unit that a family does!
July 01, 2015
I agree that this discrimination exists.

There are some financial advantages to groups of adults living together which are inherent to the arrangement. If you have three adults in a three-bedroom apartment, each will pay less rent than if they rented singly, because they are sharing the bathroom, kitchen and living room. You probably also pay less in utilities, since multiple people benefit from the same utility at a time. If you are able to buy a 10-pound bag of rice it is cheaper per ounce than a 5-pound bag of rice because it uses less packaging per ounce and the overhead of selling the rice is the same regardless of what size bag it is in. I don't think the government should mitigate these disadvantages for people who live alone, because these are the natural benefits of the situation.

However, there are plenty of benefits which amount to privilege, and these should be eliminated. Reduced taxes, family rates for services, etc. For the most part we aren't talking about services which have minimal marginal costs for providing to the same address and high marginal costs for providing to a different address so the only justification is the expectation that it will increase sales.

So much privilege exists and is invisible to those who benefit from it, while those who suffer are often unable to articulate why they feel cheated.

I was just reading an article the other day saying that it's time to allow polygamy, and while I agree I found it sad to see the author talking about various family benefits denied to poly groups which were in fact privileges.
mrs. chinaski
And what about FOOD?

I hate wasting food, when I used to live alone it was cheaper to buy 2-3 ltrs of milk than it was to buy 500ml or 1ltr, I only needed it for my morning coffee, or the odd cereal, I ended up buying little long life milks that could only make 3 coffees, because I refused to waste a full litre or more of milk every week, I used to have to buy my fruit and veg every second day to keep them from being spoiled before I could eat them, at least I've always lived close to the shops, so I never wasted fuel money on those extra frequent trips.

the only things that actually work out good for value when your single, are things like toilet paper, soaps, detergent, etc. you know the things that wont soon expire, but are always needed anyway, those are the only times I appreciated family value packs.

now that I have a partner, we can get through most food "family pack" items in a day or two, but when we want a treat like ice cream or chips, the price of the smaller packs for us to just enjoy on that one occasion, are more than twice the price, $11 for a small pint of ice cream verse $2 for 4ltrs, and people wonder why humanity is getting obese. -it wasn't even nice ice cream.

I remember my mum spending $200 a week on groceries for 4 people, as a single, I spent on average either $80 eating unhealthy or $120 eating healthy weekly, both including the basic non perishable items, that math doesn't add up no matter how you slice it, the only times I could make it cheaper was to buy my non perishable or long life items when they were on special.
July 01, 2015
mrs. chinaski
And what about FOOD?

Agree again and since I was talking economics - this is an example of Rent seeking.
July 01, 2015
I'm guessing it's because married people are assumed to have famblees, and therefore "need" more tax breaks and lower premiums than their single or unmarried counterparts. The less you adhere to the life script, the more money you have to pay compared to people who get married and/or breed.

freya
A tax break to you is an implicit tax penalty to anyone not receiving said break.

Yup - in order for someone to get a break, somebody else is having more money taken from them. Everybody seems to think it's just dandy to shit all over those who aren't bound together by law. I mean, what are they going to do about it? Revolt? Not pay taxes? Not buy (insert name) insurance? The more "alone" you are, the less sympathy/help you will get.

What a fantastic message to send to people: get married to save money on everything. I think this could also be one of the reasons so many people will settle and marry whoever rather than holding out for the right person or just plain staying single. This country makes is very difficult to afford things if you don't have a spouse, which is some ass-backwards bullshit because someone who is single probably needs those discounts and breaks more than a household with a combined income.

But being married can come back and bite couples in the ass in some ways. When it comes to child support, I believe the incomes of both spouses is considered. Also, when you do income-based repayment on federal student loans, the amount you are asked to pay will be based on you and your spouse's combined incomes rather than just that of the borrower.

Also, as a small aside, why is it that on online surveys or anything else that asks you to describe your relationship status, there is nothing that would indicate the presence of a fiance, girlfriend or boyfriend? It's always "single, married, widowed or divorced" as the options. So I guess dating long-term or being engaged means you're not in a real relationship?
Person above me

Also, as a small aside, why is it that on online surveys or anything else that asks you to describe your relationship status, there is nothing that would indicate the presence of a fiance, girlfriend or boyfriend? It's always "single, married, widowed or divorced" as the options. So I guess dating long-term or being engaged means you're not in a real relationship?

Another small aside: When my first DH of 15 years died suddenly back in '03, I discovered that a lot of official paperwork re: jobs, taxes, etc, only divided people in two groups: Single and married. Having to fill in the box marked "single", as if my DH had never even existed, was extraordinarily painful. I would have been grateful if the state of Missouri and the federal government had given me the option of divorced/separated/widowed, and even at my most grief-stricken, I was surprised that they weren't .Thinking every adult HAS to be EITHER single OR married: Now that's binarism run amock!

Can I rant one more time on how STUPID it is to do ANYTHING to encourage breeding, when excess human population is directly linked to AGW, habitat loss, multiple extinction events *, loss of topsoil, loss of groundwater, the depletion of the oceans and rivers, pollution of land and waterways, maybe even honeybee die-off, with the catastrophic starvation levels that's bound to cause? I get that governments everywhere** love the idea of reducing their populations to as close to the level of serfs or slaves as they possibly can, and having fewer and fewer jobs to go around is certainly useful in meeting that goal .Plus, people with kids can always be threatened with losing their kids, if they get out of line. But when overpopulation could not only lead to human extinction, but quite possibly make earth uninhabitable for life above the level of microbes and bacteria, which is what the most apocalyptic climate catastrophe scenarios suggest is a distinct possibilty-??? You'd think that might make them back off ..But no. If anything, the worse the environmental news get, the more they double down on breeding incentives.

*Including for our last remaining cousins, the orangutans, the chimpanzees, the bonobs, and the gorillas. I find this gut wrenching.

** Hell yes, I am including the USA here. I could rant about that for *several* paragraphs.
July 01, 2015
I never understood why married people are seen as more responsible, considering I personally know a guy who has been married 4 times, and a lady who has been married twice. I've also known people who have gotten married more than once and each marriage only lasted 2-3 years or so, not to mention all the married people who cheat with their exes on Facebook. I don't see how that is being more responsible than someone who knows what they want and doesn't get married just to get married.
July 02, 2015
What is *the last thing* you'd expect to be 'discriminatory'? Or, favoring famblees / children over others? Think on that awhile ~

How about ~

Traffic reports? smile rolling left righteyes2

Yesterday I was planning to go to a friend's house after work. Co worker was in the kitchen area of the office and yells to me to come look at the TV. It was a traffic report about a back up because a truck had hit an over pass. Co worker says to me - 'Isn't that over there where your friend lives'? Yep.

Reporter in traffic helicopter says they are going over there and will update with next report. OK. So I sat and waited.

Next traffic report - NO mention of the above - because ~ there had been a shooting and it was "near a school". So that's where the traffic helicopter went and from what I could see this 'shooting' (which would've been alleged 'shots fired', no injuries, it may have been a fire cracker for all they knew) - was *at least* a mile away from the school. (What does this have to do with traffic, anyway?)

smile rolling left righteyes2

And then they did it again.

Next traffic report - now the helicopter is in a completely different area, accident (NO injuries), traffic back up - and they just had to comment "you can see a baby carrier sitting on the side of the road".

smile rolling left righteyes2
Techie
I see very little difference between Jim Crow laws and the current legal situation for single people. The only difference was that Jim Crow laws were contained to the USA where discrimination against single people is global.

Really? You don't see a difference between racist laws that banned a group of people from dining at restaurants, buying homes in most neighborhoods, even using a water fountain, let alone being barred from voting and faced violent and sometimes fatal retaliation for bucking those laws vs. having to pay more to subsidize breeders?

I agree this discrimination exists, but come the fuck on now.

------------------------------------------------------------
"Why children take so long to grow? They eat and drink like pig and give nothing back. Must find way to accelerate process..."
- Dr. Yi Suchong, Bioshock

"Society does not need more children; but it does need more loved children. Quite literally, we cannot afford unloved children - but we pay heavily for them every day. There should not be the slightest communal concern when a woman elects to destroy the life of her thousandth-of-an-ounce embryo. But all society should rise up in alarm when it hears that a baby that is not wanted is about to be born."
- Garrett Hardin

"I feel like there's a message involved here somehow, but then I couldn't stop laughing at all the plotholes, like the part when North Korea has food."
- Youtube commentor referring to a North Korean cartoon.

"Reality is a bitch when it slowly crawls out of your vagina and shits in your lap."
- Reddit comment

"Bitch wants a baby, so we're gonna fuck now. #bareback"
- Cambion

Oh whatever. Abortion doctors are crimestoppers."
- Miss Hannigan
July 02, 2015
paragon schnitzophonic
Techie

Really? You don't see a difference between racist laws that banned a group of people from dining at restaurants, buying homes in most neighborhoods, even using a water fountain, let alone being barred from voting and faced violent and sometimes fatal retaliation for bucking those laws vs. having to pay more to subsidize breeders?

I agree this discrimination exists, but come the fuck on now.

I would like to present a valid argument but I am not sure that I can.

>>banned a group of people from dining at restaurants<<

CF and single people are banned from many places, not just restaurants. Some places you can only attend if you have sprogs in tow. Many cruises are designed for couples and so are many social events.

>>buying homes in most neighborhoods<<

A single man, trying to rent a home or an apartment near a kiddy park or an elementary school will not be well accepted. A single woman in her 40's renting a place near a college will be labeled as cougar and will have her personal property vandalized or worse.

>>even using a water fountain<<

Water fountains are now accessible, for the most part. Unless you are a single man and you want to use a water fountain in a kids' playground. Even if there is not another water fountain near by, it does not matter. And, if you are a single woman, moos will look at you if you were a baybee snatcher. Popos have been called in the past.

>> let alone being barred from voting<<

Single people can vote, but it does not matter. Courts will ALWAYS rule in favor of families. ALWAYS. In effect, we are barred from voting. Have you seen Ralph Nader trying to win?

>>faced violent and sometimes fatal retaliation<<

A single woman, trying to get an abortion, if faced with danger of fatal retaliation. Abortion clinics have been shot up before.

>>having to pay more to subsidize breeders<<

It does not end there. Yes, we do pay more to subsidize breeders. But we also get much less in return. If you are a starving CF and single, nobody gives a flying fuck. Most governments will assist families way before they assist a single person. Death from starvation is a reality for single people.

All of the points that you have mentioned, I cannot argue them, I can only support them. In real life, it is much worse than that. Single people get treated even worse in other countries. While Jim Crow laws were wrong and at least someone was fighting against them, current situation for single people is bad and no government is doing anything about it. In fact, even some CF people think that such abuse is justified.
July 02, 2015
I think the Jim Crow laws were worse, but things are heading in that direction for single people. The situation for single people is gradually degrading over time and there is no dialogue over it whatsoever. There is outright discrimination which is legally sanctioned already, such as "protected family status" which only applies to some types of families.
July 02, 2015
yurble
I think the Jim Crow laws were worse, but things are heading in that direction for single people. The situation for single people is gradually degrading over time and there is no dialogue over it whatsoever. There is outright discrimination which is legally sanctioned already, such as "protected family status" which only applies to some types of families.

I wonder what are legal precautions against simply lying about family status. There is no shortage of single moos out there who would pose for a picture. Hmm... Or, just take a said picture and display it someplace at work. "Yeah, other half, kids, dog, etc..." - leave it at that. Work does not have to have med insurance for the entire family. Many duhs just have single coverage. Blend right in.
July 03, 2015
On the other hand, I have done some calculations. Even with higher taxes and higher insurance and money drain everywhere else, I still come out ahead than someone who has to support a wife and chyldrynz. Or at least it feels like it. And even if it was harder to be CF, money wise, brats are still not for me.
I guess married folks get some benefits because society assumes that marriage=kids. Haven't you noticed that immediately after signing those papers, the next question is about kids? And then the bingo why did you get married if you don't want kids?

On another note, where i live married couples without kids don't really get the benefits that they used to. The benefits come when the married couple has kids. At least me and DH did not notice anything different. It's true that it does help when there are 2 incomes in the house but otherwise we pay the same amount of money for everything from insurance to taxes.

As for the family status, i really don't want to sound harsh but most of the times family=kids. For example, we have a stupid law stating that if you work in different city (and reside there temporarily) than your spouse or parents and you travel every weekend home to spouse/your parents, you don't get travel deductions because you don't have a family (kids).

And there was the point of banning certain people from some places. I posted here 2 years ago i think, how a camping area in Finland banned childless people under 35 on Midsummer because they are violent and get drunk. Only people with kids were allowed in the camping because of course, having kids makes you more responsible with alcohol. smile rolling left righteyes2

Here is the link in Finnish if interested.

Edit: reading the comments and there are childless couples who are really upset about it. Two couples booked a place there and they found out about this "rule" from the newspaper as back then, the camping place didn't bother to put it on their site. They had some fights with them to get the money back. At least the camping place could have had the courtesy to inform them BEFORE booking and paying.
July 07, 2015
BlackPearl, it sounds to me that where you are from, they have a different tax code and different laws when it comes to marriage alone. Here in USA, just by signing a marriage certificate, people get to pay less taxes, less in health insurance, car insurance, all of that. If kids come along, there are more tax deductions. Medical insurance actually goes up a little because one more person is added. But, for the 2nd and 3rd and any number after that, medical insurance rate stays the same.

I have done some calculations. A married couple, in the USA, definitely will fare better than same exact couple without a marriage certificate. I couple with kids, not so much. What they get in tax breaks, way more goes towards raising kids - not a good deal. Now, a poor single mother - she actually gets extra money from the government. In her case, she is not affected by much because she had nothing to lose anyways. Here is USA, kids are for the very rich and for the very poor as in both of those cases, lifestyles are not really affected.
It is indeed very different from US. I live in Finland and i'm not an expert in tax system but i know for sure that we have a progressive tax system meaning that the more you earn, the more you pay taxes. There were perks for married people in this respect meaning that you got tax deduction upon marriage but it was abolished. We also used to have childless tax for people over 24 but it was also abolished.

About health insurance we have socialized medicine and i'm insured automatically meaning that i have the right to "free" healthcare. Which is not that free to start with and most of people go to private hospitals because waiting for an appointment in the public sector can last up to 6 months.

DH has a car and the insurance is the same for singles or the ones with kids. No difference. The amount you pay depends on the insurance company and type and age of car.

Taxes here are influenced more by other factors such as being a student and working, type of contract, whether you are a foreigner or not, type of residence permit, if you receive financial help, being self-employed etc.
July 07, 2015
BlackPearl, we have progressive tax system here as well. Percentage of tax (tax bracket) goes up as you earn more. Those with dependents get exemptions. The more dependents someone has, the more they can deduct. Note: Low income spouse or no income spouse is also considered a dependent in the eyes of the law.

It appears to me that Finnish tax code is more fair towards single people than the USA tax code. Here we had talks about flat tax but so far, that went nowhere. There is no penalty for not having kids, per se, but, reduction in taxes for having kids is present. As a result, about 46% of people don't pay federal taxes. Good stuff. Such arrangements buy politicians votes so I don't see anything changing in my lifetime. There is one spark of hope. There are now more single people in USA than married people. If this affects votes, rules just might change. I would imagine that many people of ages 20 to 45 have grown up in fucked up urban environment like I did, where I was raised by single mother who herself had terrible relationships. I think my ability to chose wisely for a long term relationship is non-existent. All of my siblings are women and their relationships are even worse than mine - at the very least, I have learned my lessons and realized that I am better off living alone as anyone that I have ever picked in the past would either want to breed, stop working, steal from me, lie, deceive, be verbally abusive or all of those combined. Many of my friends who grew up in my area are broke, poor and are one paycheck away from living on the streets. Let's just say that things in USA are not what the Hollywood shows to the world they are. I was able to get education and have been earning good income, but I am not a common case. I was the youngest one of all siblings and I saw how shitty were the lives of my older sisters were. They chose to breed with losers, lunatics and abusers. While I have dated women that were not exactly in sync with me, at the very least I have never married them and of course, did not breed with them. Let's just say that chances of me ever getting married and getting tax benefits of it, well, I think I am better at picking lottery winning numbers than I am at picking out a decent woman to be with. It is like that for many other people too, so, I don't really feel bad or different.
July 07, 2015
@BlackPearl: in a nutshell, here in USA, there are more of us here who are likely to live alone than those of us who will be married. Sooner or later, this single majority will need to start speaking out. Rights are seldom just given, they have to be demanded and that is a long process.

Articles like this one are not very common, but they are starting to appear more often. That's is usually a good sign. Of course most of the Hollywood stars downplay the issue, but, they don't live in our world, they live in their own world and that world is very different from ours.
blackpearl
I guess married folks get some benefits because society assumes that marriage=kids. Haven't you noticed that immediately after signing those papers, the next question is about kids? And then the bingo why did you get married if you don't want kids?

On another note, where i live married couples without kids don't really get the benefits that they used to. The benefits come when the married couple has kids. At least me and DH did not notice anything different. It's true that it does help when there are 2 incomes in the house but otherwise we pay the same amount of money for everything from insurance to taxes.

As for the family status, i really don't want to sound harsh but most of the times family=kids. For example, we have a stupid law stating that if you work in different city (and reside there temporarily) than your spouse or parents and you travel every weekend home to spouse/your parents, you don't get travel deductions because you don't have a family (kids).

And there was the point of banning certain people from some places. I posted here 2 years ago i think, how a camping area in Finland banned childless people under 35 on Midsummer because they are violent and get drunk. Only people with kids were allowed in the camping because of course, having kids makes you more responsible with alcohol. smile rolling left righteyes2

Here is the link in Finnish if interested.

Edit: reading the comments and there are childless couples who are really upset about it. Two couples booked a place there and they found out about this "rule" from the newspaper as back then, the camping place didn't bother to put it on their site. They had some fights with them to get the money back. At least the camping place could have had the courtesy to inform them BEFORE booking and paying.

I hope that non-kidded people boycotted that park, leaving the management in breeder hell.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
" ... what's one more once you've already got two shedding on the couch?"
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login