Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

wahhhhhh my wealthy childfree brother isnt buying our kids xmas presents!

Posted by ladybug2203 
I've been the recipient of just one begging attempt. It was some chocolate/cookie/whatever purchase request, first and only time the kid ever contacted me. I wasn't exactly a presence in its life, so I guess it must have been prompting that triggered that email to "aunt yurble." Of course, if they'd had any contact with me they would have known I was unemployed and hardly in the position to buy useless crap for the kid's sports team.

My parents have had to deal with much more blatant demands, with threats of limited grandsprog time if they didn't cough up. I'm proud of them for not giving in to the extortion, and instead choosing to spend their time and reasonable sums of money and on appreciative nieces, nephews, and children of their friends.

My advice is not to bother with the sprog gifts. There's nothing to gain in playing along with the family bullshit. If there are some kids you like, who are polite and appreciative, feel free to buy them gifts (as I sometimes do for a friend's kid), but never let it become an obligation.
learnernotlurker
Childfree Brother isn't going to escape the nagging when the kids grow up. From experience I can say the nagging will switch to "You aren't leaving your money to MY kids???? But you haven't got ANYONE to leave it to !!!!" (Of course, there are no charitable, political, or arts organizations in the world.)

Guaranteed bingo to older CFs: "Charity begins at home!" Every breeder in the world is sure s/he's invented that piece of brilliance.

I am gonna leave my shit to my CF niece and nephew. They lost their mom to bad heart.

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
craftyzits
I am gonna leave my shit to my CF niece and nephew. They lost their mom to bad heart.

I support your decision to leave your belongings to whomever you want. You are an individual and have that right.

What I do not support, and will never support, is breeders and their sense of entitlement.
The longer I think about it, the more sad I am but some things are simply unevitable.

You can only give and sacrifice so much, somewhere it's simply the end.

My hardcore breeder in-laws are constantly putting me down.
They put everyone else on a pedestal simply for having a chyld.
They conveniently ignore the fact that parunts are low quality people -
lazy, entitled etc. it doesn't play any role, they have a chyyyyyyyyld and therefore they are
saints. I am so tired of it.
IMHO, the family is only a source of misery.
mrs. chinaski
The longer I think about it, the more sad I am but some things are simply unevitable.

You can only give and sacrifice so much, somewhere it's simply the end.

My hardcore breeder in-laws are constantly putting me down.
They put everyone else on a pedestal simply for having a chyld.
They conveniently ignore the fact that parunts are low quality people -
lazy, entitled etc. it doesn't play any role, they have a chyyyyyyyyld and therefore they are
saints. I am so tired of it.
IMHO, the family is only a source of misery.

You will move on. You'll see. Some folks on this board have had huge blow ups with family over the holidays, gift giving, etc. etc. I went in another direction, slowly distancing myself from over the top gift grabs. My GF and I draw a line with all of them--this is the event we are going to, this is what we're spending, this is what they're getting and that's it. Nothing else. We were not put on this earth to finance the gluttonous lifestyles of LifeScripters. And we're no longer "celebrating" everything by showering these people with gifts or money.

As I get older, I find myself having less and less in common with my extended, childed family anyway. And the gap between what I value (being ambitious, caring, charitable, modest) versus what they value ("I'm gettin' married! I'm havin' a baybee! GIMME! GIMME! GIMME!") is widening.

They're not appreciative of receiving money or gifts anyway. If they were, they'd invite me to something besides an event where I had to bring a gift. But they don't, because they don't care. And that's fine, but two can play at that game.

I'm nearing 40 and hopefully growing a bit older and wiser. 20 years from now I'll be nearing retirement, hopefully. Hypothetically, I'd hate to keep giving and giving and giving, as it would set the precedent that yes, I am a human ATM from which LifeScripters can make unlimited withdraws. I say fuck that noise. I want to get to the point where I am not invited to this stuff at all.
Thank you.

I come from a bad-blood family. I thought I could do better this time and create good, meaningful relationships
with "new" family (DH's relatives). However, I found out that they don't give a flying fuck about me.
I was very disappointed.
It's somehow sad to find out that only my DH (perhaps) cares about me and otherwise no one.
But as you say, one has to move on. I cannot change them so I have to change me or resp. my
attitude towards them.
hana
StudioFiftyFour

Good, I'm glad to hear that you've drawn your line in the sand, too.

Social norms take a long time to establish but I believe it will be CF folks like you who will slowly re-write the etiquette "book," so to speak.

I applaud you for planning ahead and getting your will in place. An ironclad will prevents the usual breeder bonanza following a death in the family. Nice job!

Took a long time to draw the line, but I'm happier and healthier for doing it. Downside of being dead is not being able to see the look on the Golden Cow's and/or Golden Parasite's face when they learn they're not getting shit from me.

You want to keep it on the down low while you are here, or they will make your life hell. When my breeder monsters realized I was not here to serve them in life and death, they flipped the shit out. The moo let me know she was changing her "legal stuff" repeatedly. She was not intending to leave me shit anyway but she had to let me know. LOL, I'm so devastated. Then she sued me for part of my inheritance, knowing the legal bills to fight it would exceed the amount to settle. This is all because they realized the gravy train was over and they had to get in now as a last chance to rob the CF famblee member. Believe me, this all started with these little gift-grab events, then it went to asking for loans, then it went to expecting me to donate my time to their little dramas "to help the family", then it became outright stealing, and then I finally snapped.

The stress of being in this role of a human ATM, with no regards to our feelings or needs is really a significant form of abuse and not worth it. I will never be put in that position again but it went on for way too long. Unfortunately there is not a lot of help or empathy out there for people going through this and even a counselor told me that it is normal for families to behave like that and for me to basically suck it up.
@ blondie: It's horrible that even a councelor who is supposed to be neutral is #TeamBreeders all the way :-(

I am disgusted that everything and everyone seems to serve breeders.

I would say that in general a CF person needs money more than a breeder
because most breeders have "infrastructure" (= plenty of people helping
because of the chyldren; governmental programmes, etc.).
StudioFiftyFour
craftyzits

I support your decision to leave your belongings to whomever you want. You are an individual and have that right.

What I do not support, and will never support, is breeders and their sense of entitlement.

Ah, I was wondering where to put this:

Woman rejected by mother in will wins £164k inheritance

Admittedly the reason for her disownment seems harsh- this mother disowned her daughter for leaving home to live with her boyfriend when she was 17. Plenty of parents interfere in their children's relationships, and in this case it seems the relationship lasted and the mother should have butted out. That said, I believe people should have the right to sever contact if they want to and leave their money to whomever they want, and the idea of someone being forced to leave their money to someone just because they're famblee is disturbing.

In this case the daughter claimed her mother had a duty to provide for her financially (funny when she didn't need her mother's money at 17) and that she neeeeeeded the money to buy her council house and (through some loophole I assume) keep her state benefits.

So, why does someone who has just inherited £146,000, bought a house outright and therefore has no rent or mortgage payments to meet get to claim benefits? That's right- she's a MOOOOOOO of five and society therefore has to pander to her inflated sense of entitlement, with judges awarding her money from a private individual who specifically stated that she didn't want her to have it, and the welfare state awarding her public money she doesn't even need, to look after five brats she didn't need to spawn. Here she is pleading poverty which she could have avoided by not shitting out five brats she knew she couldn't afford.

This could pave the way for more entitled brats to come forward and try and suck their deceased parents dry, especially if doing so could spite whomever ended up with the money- their parent's second spouse, the disinherited child's half-siblings with that new spouse, etc, and especially if the disinherited children have spawned themselves and can plead (self-inflicted) poverty.

If this sets a precedent there will be no point in making a will- why bother trying to disinherit the sibling who bullied you all your life, or the child who got into drugs and burgled your home to pay for them, if some breeder-brained judge will see their crocodile tears in court and think "Awwww, but they're FAMBLEEEE!!!" and give all your money to them anyway?
Im not married yet, but if I do get married I just wanna elope in vegas, the only gift I want is no guilt trips for eloping (fat chance of that happening lol), they can keep their precious fondue sets
An acquaintance of mine got married last year and her mother, whom she never got on with, was being a pain in the arse about her right to attend the ceremony. Her family were embroiled in a massive row about whether or not she should be invited, on top of people arguing about who would get to be a bridesmaid, usher etc. She sorted things out in the end (the mother stayed away) but admitted she had considered eloping just to get away from the rows, and to truly make the day all abut her and her husband (the only people who really matter) and say "to hell with everyone else".

Some mothers-of-the-bride can be so overbearing and obsessive they make Bridezillas look rational- any fans of Say Yes To The Dress here? winking smiley
Me me me me!!!!!! smiling smiley
This is exactly why I've been putting off getting married. My family aren't as bad as you've mentioned but they're traditionalists and I can't be arsed with all the fuss it would cause because I have no interest in a big white wedding and all that crap. We'll probably end up eloping at some point.
screaming sausage
StudioFiftyFour
craftyzits

Ah, I was wondering where to put this:

Woman rejected by mother in will wins £164k inheritance

Admittedly the reason for her disownment seems harsh- this mother disowned her daughter for leaving home to live with her boyfriend when she was 17. Plenty of parents interfere in their children's relationships, and in this case it seems the relationship lasted and the mother should have butted out. That said, I believe people should have the right to sever contact if they want to and leave their money to whomever they want, and the idea of someone being forced to leave their money to someone just because they're famblee is disturbing.

In this case the daughter claimed her mother had a duty to provide for her financially (funny when she didn't need her mother's money at 17) and that she neeeeeeded the money to buy her council house and (through some loophole I assume) keep her state benefits.

So, why does someone who has just inherited £146,000, bought a house outright and therefore has no rent or mortgage payments to meet get to claim benefits? That's right- she's a MOOOOOOO of five and society therefore has to pander to her inflated sense of entitlement, with judges awarding her money from a private individual who specifically stated that she didn't want her to have it, and the welfare state awarding her public money she doesn't even need, to look after five brats she didn't need to spawn. Here she is pleading poverty which she could have avoided by not shitting out five brats she knew she couldn't afford.

This could pave the way for more entitled brats to come forward and try and suck their deceased parents dry, especially if doing so could spite whomever ended up with the money- their parent's second spouse, the disinherited child's half-siblings with that new spouse, etc, and especially if the disinherited children have spawned themselves and can plead (self-inflicted) poverty.

If this sets a precedent there will be no point in making a will- why bother trying to disinherit the sibling who bullied you all your life, or the child who got into drugs and burgled your home to pay for them, if some breeder-brained judge will see their crocodile tears in court and think "Awwww, but they're FAMBLEEEE!!!" and give all your money to them anyway?

I just read that article.

:hs :hs :hs :hs

The worst was where it stated that parents can still disinherit children, but now they have to state why, and have to explain, and have a relationship with the other person or charity getting the money instead.

If courts are going to pander to breeders agains the wishes of the deceased, then the only thing I can think of is to give most of it away before death. Keep just what you need, then give the rest away in CASH before you die. I know that might be unreasonable for some, but it's sure better than entitlement minded breeders robbing your estate blind because OMG BABYEEEEEEEEES!

Another thing I might suggest to to never tell relatives exactly how much you're worth. Never let them know your salary, your savings amounts, etc...in some circles, it is considered bad manners to brag about wealth. I was brought up that way. And I have found out it is useful, because people at work, and other relatives think I am just modest means, and they don't try to leech off me. They know what I earn because legally it is public information, but not the Mr.

At gift grabs, aka Christmas, I always gave each niece or nephew a $20 bill. That is it. It's been the same amount for the past 15 years, and is not changing. I found that this helps cure the gimme gimme disease, because they already know what they are going to get, and it isn't changing.

My sister is always up my way. She is either going into the city, hanging out with friends, hiking, etc...and she never tells me. I find out afterwards, from the FB photos. At first it pissed me off, but now I see it's a blessing in disguise. I only have to see her and her brood for Thanksgiving, Xmas, and Easter.
I have a will, its only been 10 years since I made it, but my family break down makes me want to update it, but I'd rather wait to see if Mr exile and I could make a long term thing such as 5years or marriage before I'd want to review it.

As for weddings, I believe in marriage but I don't believe in wasting tens of thousands on ceramonys and crap I've never been interested in. I wouldn't so much call it eloping, but I'm much more for just getting marriage registered, with 2-4 witnesses present, and just doing our own thing. My parents arnt cool with it, not that I care, its not their wedding, they had my brothers horse drawn carriages style wedding.

I have no idea if Mr exiles family is leaning any which way, we've discussed marriage between us, as a long term outlook, but we're not engaged so there's no reason to bring it up to them, he's not sure what they'd say, but he dosnt want a big wedding and believes its not up to what his parents want either.

It's not so much the cost of weddings, its more the thought of putting a bunch of people who don't like each other in close proximity and pretending shit won't go down, or better yet, why would we want to spend suposidly our happiest day, surrounded by people who have made our life hard and annoying, and smooze like it dosnt still annoy us?
Im always grateful for any gifts I get, im 28 years old and my gmom always sends me $25 every bday and xmas, I always send a thank you card
ladybug2203
Im always grateful for any gifts I get, im 28 years old and my gmom always sends me $25 every bday and xmas, I always send a thank you card

That's you smiling smiley My relatives never bothered with any thank you card. I was lucky if I got a badly worded email of thanks.

I dread the day my nieces get engaged, because their moo (my sister) is demanding that I give them certain valuable items from my home as future wedding gifts. They're family heirlooms, given to me by our mother. It will be a shitstorm of the highest caliber.
Peace
I just read that article.

:hs :hs :hs :hs

The worst was where it stated that parents can still disinherit children, but now they have to state why, and have to explain, and have a relationship with the other person or charity getting the money instead.

That is horrifying. I know it is correct to state intent but in this case the woman was clear and it still did not matter. She could not give to a charity because she didn't have a proper relationship with it? Oh excuse me, so I cannot give to a charity unless I'm involved in it....That would cut out a lot of donations. And it's bullshit. It's all about the greedy entitled breeders. Shame on the judges, her intent was stated in her will, there is not a question as to what she wanted to do.

My SO and I will get married just to keep our greedy breeder sibs from grabbing at anything we have worked so hard for. At least spouses still have some rights, unlike single people. It really is sickening what is acceptable to do to single (even widowed) or cf people, it's like they are animals or objects to be toyed with. This is how I have been treated personally. Hey, I'm a machine (like one of those robot Synths). I don't need money or love or health care or sleep or opinions. Just here to serve the breeders, and the legal system agrees. Don't think for a second the ones who just use us for gift giving and favors care about anything else in our lives. They may act like they care in some regard, but they really don't.
I now read that "inheritance" story too. That's rich.
They were estranged since the daughter was 17 yo and eloped.
The said daughter is 54 today. That translates into 37 years
of estrangement and the daughter STILL gets one third
of her mother's estate!!!!

Obviously, once a chyld, always a chyld....
@ blondie: "I am a machine, I don't need anything, I am just here to serve the breeders"
--> those are exactly my sentiments. The breeders only ignore my efforts or brand them
as not good enough...
mrs. chinaski
@ blondie: "I am a machine, I don't need anything, I am just here to serve the breeders"
--> those are exactly my sentiments. The breeders only ignore my efforts or brand them
as not good enough...

Invalidation is a significant form of abuse. It gets pushed under the carpet because it's often covert. It's really damaging to victims.

It's like breeders have this huge eraser and they erase non-useful (to them) parts of people and things, leaving behind say, the hand that holds the wallet, or the part of the brain that does their taxes for free or the babysitter part. The rest is useless and stupid to them. They erase the past, they erase their own bad behavior, they create their own reality.

It reminds me of this abusive ex that I had finally been freed of after a lot of drama. A few years later he calls me up, like nothing happened, and asks me if I want to go out to lunch to catch up. Like. nothing. BAD. happened. Erased it.
mrs. chinaski
I now read that "inheritance" story too. That's rich.
They were estranged since the daughter was 17 yo and eloped.
The said daughter is 54 today. That translates into 37 years
of estrangement and the daughter STILL gets one third
of her mother's estate!!!!

Obviously, once a chyld, always a chyld....

Google her name and it gets richer still... it turns out that this legal battle had been going on for ten years, and that the daughter had already been awarded a settlement of £50,000, but had turned it down in favour of fighting for more. ...soooo, she managed to hiree lawyers, then turned down £50,000, and then somehow found more money to spend on lawyers, all the time pleading poverty? :BS

She's got £146,000, plenty of lottery winners get less than that and are satisfied. Invested carefully that money could keep her and her family fed, clothed and homed for the rest of her life, especially as she was renting a house at social housing rates. She didn't need to buy the house and live on benefits, that was just the easiest option and the one which will give her a nest egg to leave to her five sprogs. When she's drawing up her own will I hope the five of them start fighting over her estate and give her a taste of her own medicine.

This ruling is going to have serious implications for charities too- plenty of people leave money to charities and they rely on "legacy" fundraising for a lot of their work, now will lots of entitled relatives start claiming the deceased had "no connection" to the charity and start ripping off charities left, right and centre? What if I wanted to leave a donation to The Dogs Trust? I love dogs, is that not enough of a connection, or would I need to marry a dog and get I LOVE DOGS tattooed on my forehead before I would be allowed to give my own money to them?

I think it's bad enough that the daughter was happy for three charities to waste their supporters' donations on hiring lawyers when they had more important things to spend that money on- all things more important than a woman being able to buy a home on the cheap so she can keep living on benefits rather than getting a job to support her five sprogs.
screaming sausage

This ruling is going to have serious implications for charities too- plenty of people leave money to charities and they rely on "legacy" fundraising for a lot of their work, now will lots of entitled relatives start claiming the deceased had "no connection" to the charity and start ripping off charities left, right and centre? What if I wanted to leave a donation to The Dogs Trust? I love dogs, is that not enough of a connection, or would I need to marry a dog and get I LOVE DOGS tattooed on my forehead before I would be allowed to give my own money to them?

I think it's bad enough that the daughter was happy for three charities to waste their supporters' donations on hiring lawyers when they had more important things to spend that money on- all things more important than a woman being able to buy a home on the cheap so she can keep living on benefits rather than getting a job to support her five sprogs.

I think the charity debate is more centered around an older belief that charitys were swindling elders into putting the charity's name on the will, it was a big deal over ten years ago, the daught probably won on some technically surrounding such a belief, even though the dead mother probably honestly wanted money left to the charity.

I know my mums doing that when she dies, my brother and I ant getting squat.
@ blondie: I never saw it -> breeders = eraser-heads - but it is so!

I finally saw the hard reality after one religious event.
S's son Bratleigh had an event at a local church and
we were invited - we brought a proper gift and were
photographed. Bratleigh's grandmoo told us something
like: "You can afford to bring a proper gift as you have
no chyldren. So it doesn't hurt you to spend some
money on someone else's chyldren."
Then S. spoke about some grilling party and my DH
tought we would be invited too - nope.
S. said that maybe we could come for coffee and cake
sometime as we never were at her house and that
she would call me. I am still waiting for that call.

So I finally saw what purpose we serve - we are
gift bringers and party crowd - so that S. can say
"look how many people came to Bratleigh's church!".

I then made the mistake to say at home to my
hardcore breeder in-laws: Look, we only get
an invitation to formal events when you are
expected to bring gifts but never to some kind
of informal family gathering
They of course told me that I should get my own
chyld and then the people will have to bring gifts
to me.

The thing with the ex is funny. I made the same experience.
My ex was abusive, we broke up. He didn't want to let me
go. Drama, drama, drama. After 3 years he contacted me
as if we were best friends.
@ exile: You are right. I remember cases where the accountability of the erderly person was in question.
There were also some cases with doctors who suddenly became sole heirs.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login