Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

More Duggar Family "Values." Josh the Perv also had an account with Ashley Madison

Posted by Dorisan 
videogamesforeverkidsnever
freya
videogamesforeverkidsnever

I do support the legalization of polygamy, though, as I believe what consenting adults do is no one else's concern, provided they are not harming others. Me not liking polygamy (and polyamory) isn't enough of a rational, logical reason for it to be illegal.

I don't support polygamy as society isn't set up for this . This isn't just about the social security monetary payout but also avoiding adding additional government oversight/overhead or higher taxes due to people living in very complex situations with 10 or more spouses. A huge group of people would have to be paid to unravel all those multiple spouse messes and tracking down divorces, etc. And if a polygamous parent dies who has 20 kids with various spouses all those kids would be entitled to survivor benefits along with the spouses. More parents would die early due to the pressure, especially religious polygamists who only allow the sole male to earn a decent living. And I can't help but think this is going to encourage the very people who can't afford it or have no business doing so to breed like rabbits. And most houses are probably around 3 bedrooms, so where are these polygamous families going to live? And the demand for urban assault vehicles would skyrocket.

A young naïve 18 year old guy could jump on polygamy to assuage his hormones and wind up 25 years old, with 5 or more kids and with sky high child support payments which mean he has to live in a car until all the kids are fully grown. If society had more social constraints the same man may have ended up childfree instead.

If he was in a monogamous marriage he may have 1 kid at 25 and still have a chance at life if he divorced.
Lawyers would love polygamy to be legal just as they loved it when gay marriage was legalized, imagine how much more their business would increase!

What bothers me, though, is the following question: Are we lying to ourselves as a society by expecting everyone to be monogamous? If it's not true, why believe it? Some people, like me, revel in monogamy, but it doesn't work for others.

Nobody HAS to be monogamous. There is no law, at least in US, forcing marriage. People are free to form any type of relationship or relationships they want for any length of time. Aside from that, polygamy generally only applies to one man having many wives/romantic partners at once. While there are many societies that allow for polygamy, very few allow for a woman with multiple partners. In addition, social arrangements that have a legal provision for polygamy greatly devalue women and female children. As a result they have few rights and educational opportunities. It also leads to over breeding as a man can make a baby with several women at a time.
Again, I don't care what people do but there is no need to bankrupt the government making provisions for this. People can be pokyamorous, monogamous, serial monogamous, homosexual or asexual. I don't care. Since people in the US are free to not marry or can get divorced I don't think anybody is kidding themselves about monogamy.
selidororous
I really wish the Duggars would disappear from the media. They've been attention whoring it long enough.

TLC aired its sexual abuse documentary, with words from the Duggar women included.

This reviewer was quite scathing about their involvement, winding up with a satisfying snarky summary of their motives

It doesn't need to be mixed up with the Duggar family's five-point plan for getting America to start giving them money again.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login