Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Begging for "likes" on Facebook to get a puppy. :td

I don't know about you but one thing that irks me about people on Facebook is begging for "likes" or trying to guilt people into giving them.

The latest begathon I saw was a photo of two boys, who are younger than 10, holding a sign asking for 600 "likes" in order to get a puppy.

If they're like the average brat, the care of said puppy will fall to the breeders anyway. Once the novelty wears off, and they realize it actually takes a lot of work to own a puppy, the brats may very well lose interest -- I know I did when I was a kid and had a couple of small dogs.

Maybe there are some responsible kids who actually step up and provide care for the pet they had to have but I'm not banking on it being that common.
Re: Begging for "likes" on Facebook to get a puppy. :td
August 25, 2015
Damn, I hate seeing this stuff. Most breeders don't take proper care of pets once the novelty wears off. I have been volunteering with an animal shelter the past few months whilst I was working p/t and at home, doesn't half make you realise how half assed most people are with caring for animals. If people are not prepared to care for an animal until the pet passes on, they should not get one. Pets are not toys to be discarded when a kyd (or adult) is bored with it.

Mind you, although breeders are often the culprits, it's not just breeders. Mr Yummy and I are fostering guinea piggles at the moment because their owners (friends of Mr Y) split up and both decided to go work abroad/travel in order to "find themselves" post split. Being the CF animal loving couple, of course they made a beeline for us and we were way too soft hearted to say no to the lil critters.....so now they live in our laundry room!
August 25, 2015
That's dandy - let's base whether or not we bring a living animal into the house on how many people click a button on Facebook. And of course people will like it because bawwww the chilluns need a cutesy-wootsy widdle fuzzy to manhandle play with! And when the puppy winds up inevitably requiring actual effort to care for and has the audacity to outgrow its cute puppy size, what next? The kids start another Facebook petition to get a new puppy because the old one is no longer cute and little?

I know how kids are when it comes to asking for a pet. They'll promise Moo and Duh that they'll do everything in terms of care for the animal so Mommy and Daddy won't have to. The breeders believe it and get the dog or cat or what-not, the kids get tired of the animal within a few months and then the breeders begrudgingly take care of it, providing minimal basic care, if that. Then they start whining for another animal, which the breeders get, and the original one gets neglected. Lather, rinse, repeat.
Cambion
That's dandy - let's base whether or not we bring a living animal into the house on how many people click a button on Facebook. And of course people will like it because bawwww the chilluns need a cutesy-wootsy widdle fuzzy to manhandle play with! And when the puppy winds up inevitably requiring actual effort to care for and has the audacity to outgrow its cute puppy size, what next? The kids start another Facebook petition to get a new puppy because the old one is no longer cute and little?

I know how kids are when it comes to asking for a pet. They'll promise Moo and Duh that they'll do everything in terms of care for the animal so Mommy and Daddy won't have to. The breeders believe it and get the dog or cat or what-not, the kids get tired of the animal within a few months and then the breeders begrudgingly take care of it, providing minimal basic care, if that. Then they start whining for another animal, which the breeders get, and the original one gets neglected. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Within a few months? You're too kind.

I pulled the same crap, as did my sister, when we were brats ourselves, and had countless animals. Of course, when it came time to clean up the waste, we didn't want to do it -- no one does.

I just personally detest the whole begging or guilt-tripping thing I see on Facebook telling me that, if scroll past the post, I don't care, am heartless, et cetera -- I see it as manipulation.
August 26, 2015
Welp. That's another dog that will land in a shelter once it hits adolescence and surprise! it becomes high-energy, willful, and harder to work with.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login