Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Hate kids article stirring up butthurt

Posted by aliceblue 
Hate kids article stirring up butthurt
October 07, 2015
Salon article by CF author who explains that some people just hate kids. Begin the butthurtt and bingos.
http://www.salon.com/2015/10/07/im_a_baby_hater_and_im_not_sorry/
Re: Hate kids article stirring up butthurt
October 08, 2015
I loved this article because there was no breeder pleasing, no "I'm a great aunt!", no "I work with children and I love them but they aren't for me".
October 08, 2015
Yeah, that article pretty much sums me up, too. And like you, I'm not at all surprised at the comments. Nothing there that any of us hasn't seen before, sadly.
October 08, 2015
I am not going to read the comments. I already see some idiot has compared it to racism.
NO IT IS NOT THE SAME.
Can someone deconstruct this particular lame argument for me?

Evan Davis
October 08, 2015
pitbullgirl1965
I am not going to read the comments. I already see some idiot has compared it to racism.
NO IT IS NOT THE SAME.

I'm sure somebody else can do a better job, but I'll try to take a brief stab at it, because this argument is so fucking annoying. Being a baby/child is a temporary state of being. It comes with a particular set of irritating behaviors that one grows out of, that one needs to be trained out of. Being a certain race is permanent. You never stop being black, or Hispanic, etc. And being a particular race doesn't inherently make you behave differently than a member of another race.
October 08, 2015
pitbullgirl1965
NO IT IS NOT THE SAME.

Here's the thing, except for differences in geographic location, there is no specific behavior associated with race. A black person in Australia will have an Australian accent {so will a white person in Australia} and a black person in New Jersey will have a New Jersey accent {so will a white person in New Jersey}. But these behaviors have nothing to do with being black. The only trait that has to do with being black is that your melanocytes produce more melanin than those of a Latina/o person, Asian, or white. So when people discriminate based on race, they are discriminating because of something that has nothing to do with the persons behavior.

On the other hand, when people "discriminate " based on age {and it really isn't fair to use that word, when it has connotations of being turned down for jobs or being told you can't be in a relationship with so and so} they are doing so because of something that has to do with the persons behaior. For example, I don't hate babies simply because they are 0-3. I hate babies because they scream uncontrollably, cry uncontrollably, are ugly, and because they cause overpopulation.

Lock him up or put him down.
Stolen from Shiny.
October 08, 2015
pitbullgirl1965
NO IT IS NOT THE SAME.

The difference between children and black people is that black people don't grow out of being black, but children eventually turn into adults. Therefore, any "prejudice" against them is temporary.
October 08, 2015
People like to compare kid-hating (or even simply not being all that fond of children) to racism to make it sound more evil. But the only thing they're effectively doing is making themselves sound like bigger idiots. Racism is hating a group of people for what they are, not what they do. I agree with contemplativeintrovert - I don't hate kids just because of their age. I hate them for the way they behave, and I also hate their parents whose inability to raise their damn kids results in that behavior. I would hate anyone who acts like an asshole and screams all the time, regardless of age.

Article
I think of myself as “not a kid person” much in the same way that someone else might feel they’re “not a cat person” or “not a dog person”; it is not a conscious choice, but a natural state of being.

Simple, fantastic description. Most CFers do not choose to dislike/hate kids. That's simply how they feel.

Article
I firmly believe that some of us were simply born without the nurturing gene and with biological clocks that nature neglected to wind. My baby-hating doesn’t come from a place of malice. I don’t wish children ill; I just want them to stay the hell away from me.

Or some of us are nurturing toward things that are not screaming babies. Some are very nurturing toward pets, friends, spouses, plants, business, ideas... to nurture something is to encourage the development of it and/or to care for it. Doesn't always have to be a loaf.

Butthurt breeders are all too ready to point and screech about how we're like racists, but then doesn't such an ignorant frame of mind make them more like racists? Like I said before, racism is hating a group of people for what they are (things they cannot control), not what they do (things they can control). Breeders foam at the mouth over our mere existence because of who we are, and I'm sure if they had it their way, many of them would love to see us all dead or forced to breed. If anything, their opinions of us are much closer to racism than our child-hating, but of course they don't realize that because breeders tend to think they are right about everything simply because they've reproduced.
October 09, 2015
Finally, a completely unappologetic article which points out the disservice the trope "but I lurrrve my nieces/nephews" does to those of us who do not at all enjoy the company of children.
October 11, 2015
It's nice to see a writer with the stones to tell her own truth. And breeders, just because some of us dislike kids doesn't mean we want to see them all steamrollered on a highway. Just keep them away.

Yesterday I was walking in the woods and when I came around a bend, I saw a young moo and duh with their baby sitting in the middle of the path, where they were attempting to take photos of hIm. The duh scooped up the kid and moved to the side, while the moo kept looking at me. I can't help but think she was waiting for me to squeal over the baby but I ignored it like it was horse poop. (That's not true, I pay closer attention to horse dumps lest I step in them). I didn't validate their happy family moment because I simply didn't care.

--------------------
"[GFG's pregnancy is] kind of like at the stables where that one dumb, ugly-ass mare broke out of her corral one day and got herself screwed by the equally fugly colt that was due to be gelded the same afternoon."- Shiny
October 12, 2015
pitbullgirl1965
NO IT IS NOT THE SAME.

Adults get to choose who they spend time with and befriend. Every adult has preferences in this area, and prefers to avoid certain behaviors, habits, etc. Some adults might not like to hang out with smokers, hardcore pro sports fans, vegans, whatever. They get to decide. They don't get to go out and be dicks to those people for the fun of it.

I don't like toddlers and preschoolers. I tend to avoid situations that are centered on that segment of the population. But I also don't bother them, just as I wouldn't bother people who have other habits I don't like.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login