Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Once again we are the selfish ones

Posted by cfdavep 
Once again we are the selfish ones
November 09, 2015
https://www.yahoo.com/health/man-with-schizophrenia-takes-you-into-his-world-144624839.html

I was looking at this article of a man with schizophrenia who is a photographer. I thought it would be interesting to see how such a person faces something like this while still functioning in the world and dealing with stigma. Sure enough the guy had THREE kids, knowing this disease is genetic. He wants to show people how he sees the world with his mental disorder and wants his kids to know what it is like in case they develop it. Why the hell would he risk this, with three kids?There is a really good chance that one of them will have to live with the disease and may not be as lucky as he is to have a place in the world.
Re: Once again we are the selfish ones
November 10, 2015
One of the best things he could have done to prevent this was to not breed in the first place.

Some people with Schizophrenia can manage, as long as it is caught early enough and medications are administered and the person is watched very closely.

But then there are others, like this man, who have a hard time controlling emotions, have suicidal thoughts and still hear voices. Did he ever think that as he got older this could get worse? What would happen if he lashed out at his wife and tried to hurt her or the kids? I guess she wouldn't be long leaving, calling the cops on him and making sure he is locked away somewhere where he cannot hurt himself or anyone else.

I know a few people with this, one the last I heard, needs help managing money and with daily tasks. He is having trouble coping with every day life aside from hearing and seeing things.

The other case is a little more extreme and this lady lives in the same place I do, so I see her quite a bit. She constantly talks to herself and is very difficult to have a conversation with. She constantly repeats stories, so many of which you wonder if they are true or if they're made up and she thinks they're real.

She has also gone off on a rage before, walking down the street cursing and swearing at no one in particular, well no one we can see anyway. She has also threatened people and from what I hear it's easy to know when she has gone off of her medication as she will go into a complete rage. The cops have also been called her numerous times on her. I am surprised that they haven't hauled her away to hospitalize her yet. My opinion is that she needs to be institutionalized so that they can monitor her constantly and make sure she takes her meds.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
They are having children for selfish and narcissistic reasons, or are simply irresponsible. Funny... Those are the terms often used to describe the CF

~Live, Laugh, Love~
November 10, 2015
When I was married I was vastly unpopular with my breeder SILs, who couldn't understand why I didn't want to continue the line. "The line" had schizophrenia in it, bigtime - my MIL's grandmother was actually locked in the attic for most of her adult life. My MIL's mother was not locked up, but was a train wreck nonetheless. Husband had a brother who was in and out of mental facilities two or three times every year because of schizophrenia.

Husband and I didn't want kids, but wouldn't have had them even if we did, because we felt strongly about not passing the condition onto a new generation. Now two of his sisters have kids with the disease, who live at home and are not able to have meaningful lives. Yet they bad-mouthed me for refusing to pass the genes on.
November 12, 2015
i'm at the point where if people think i'm selfish for not breeding then fine. i don't care anymore. i'm happy with my decision, which is more than i can say for most breeders.

the finger smiley
November 12, 2015
I'd say if the sisters bad mouth you for not having kids, just shove their schizoid kids in their faces. and where did they get that from, eh??? see how they handle that. (probably equally delusional)

two cents ¢¢

CERTIFIED HOSEHEAD!!!

people (especially women) do not give ONE DAMN about what they inflict on children and I defy anyone to prove me wrong

Dysfunctional relationships almost always have a child. The more dysfunctional, the more children.

The selfish wants of adults outweigh the needs of the child.

Some mistakes cannot be fixed, but some mistakes can be 'fixed'.

People who say they sleep like a baby usually don't have one. Leo J. Burke

Adoption agencies have strict criteria (usually). Breeders, whose combined IQ's would barely hit triple digits, have none.
November 17, 2015
skyeyes
Now two of his sisters have kids with the disease, who live at home and are not able to have meaningful lives. Yet they bad-mouthed me for refusing to pass the genes on.

See tribal mentality, herd mentality. Imagine a reptile brain which isn't able to compute the likelihood of hereditary illness. Now mix in jealousy and a lack of manners. Oh, and likely add the inability to distinguish between the desire to have sex and procreate.
November 19, 2015
I chose to be child free cuz I've got Asbergers, (Oh the noise!) bi-polar, and something from the schitzo family.

I had my uterus yanked for medical reasons (with the lovely CF side effects). My health sucks balls as well.

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
November 19, 2015
My hysterectomy was five years ago today (yay!) Full of fibroids and badly anemic--those problems gone.thumbs up The funny thing was the ob-gyn/ surgeon said to me, pre-surgery: "I have to ask this. Did you want to have children?"

My reply: " No, I'm 44 years old. No way I want to chance it at my age." Of course, I didn't want to chance it at any age. Family history of alcoholism and depression. It says a lot, though, that it's common enough for a 44 y.o. to still want to get pregnant. Whoa...
November 20, 2015
cj
My hysterectomy was five years ago today (yay!) Full of fibroids and badly anemic--those problems gone.thumbs up The funny thing was the ob-gyn/ surgeon said to me, pre-surgery: "I have to ask this. Did you want to have children?"

My reply: " No, I'm 44 years old. No way I want to chance it at my age." Of course, I didn't want to chance it at any age. Family history of alcoholism and depression. It says a lot, though, that it's common enough for a 44 y.o. to still want to get pregnant. Whoa...

Same, I've got a pretty bad family history of alcohol abuse on my father's side. Honestly, it'd be easier counting my relatives on that side who aren't/weren't alcoholics. I'm having a hard enough time avoiding it myself (and let's face it, I probably won't), so why I'd want any brats is anyone's guess.

--------------

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it."
George Bernard Shaw

"An oyster can play catch if u only give it the oprotunity"
Some random YouTube commenter

"hate comments will be deleted!! fuckers!"
Some random YouTube uploader

November 21, 2015
History of mental illness in my family too - depression, bipolar and personality disorders and I suspect undiagnosed Aspergers too (which may well be behind some of the mental health issues).

On Mr Yummy's side there's also schizophrenia, so between us we just didn't fancy the genetic lottery (plus, more importantly, we don't like most sprogs).
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login