Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Woman Sues Hospital Over Traumatic Birth

Posted by selidororous 
Woman Sues Hospital Over Traumatic Birth
November 22, 2015
https://www.yahoo.com/parenting/woman-sues-hospital-for-traumatic-birth-that-201605478.html

Caroline Malatesta was 32 years old and halfway through the pregnancy of her fourth child when she made a seemingly radical move: She switched hospitals, lured from one that had taken a typically medicalized approach to her three previous births — requiring that she labor on her back, feet in stirrups, with epidurals and episiotomies — to one that used a splashy new marketing campaign to offer women “autonomy,” birthing tubs, cushy suites, and the honoring of any “personalized birth plan.”

But what Malatesta, pictured above, experienced the night she gave birth to her son at Brookwood Medical Center in Birmingham, Ala., in 2012 could not have been further from the soothing, empowering picture the hospital had promised in its ads.

Instead, she tells Yahoo Parenting, she was met with aggressive medical interventions that left her disempowered, permanently injured, and psychologically traumatized. Now she’s in the midst of a lawsuit against the hospital and its huge parent corporation, Tenet Health

I am sure Tenet Health isn't the only one pushing the whole "We will help you experience the empowerment of giving birth and become a member of the ever-growing Fertility Cult(TM) in the USA."

It would however help if these Moos would stop making childbirth all about them and think of the baby for a complete and absolute change.

Nimrods.
Re: Woman Sues Hospital Over Traumatic Birth
November 22, 2015
selidororous

It would however help if these Moos would stop making childbirth all about them and think of the baby for a complete and absolute change.

Nimrods.

That'll never happen. Babiez are all about attention whoring the new moo out for the next 6 months. Or proving how mature she is for giving birth like good little sheeple. I'd imagine birth to be horrific and traumatic as a standard not an exception. Stupid moos suing everyone they can, actually I take that back. Brilliant moo for deducing a way to cover the new loafs expenses for a few years. Still ruining everything for everyone else due to lack of logic.

3x good birth at one trusted, proven place + Nah I think I'll take this slick shiny sales pitch and have the fourth at an un-proven place, that sounds to good to be true = traumatic. I call it stupid moo logic and I've heard it many times before.
November 22, 2015
selidororous
https://www.yahoo.com/parenting/woman-sues-hospital-for-traumatic-birth-that-201605478.html

Caroline Malatesta was 32 years old and halfway through the pregnancy of her fourth child when she made a seemingly radical move: She switched hospitals, lured from one that had taken a typically medicalized approach to her three previous births — requiring that she labor on her back, feet in stirrups, with epidurals and episiotomies — to one that used a splashy new marketing campaign to offer women “autonomy,” birthing tubs, cushy suites, and the honoring of any “personalized birth plan.”

But what Malatesta, pictured above, experienced the night she gave birth to her son at Brookwood Medical Center in Birmingham, Ala., in 2012 could not have been further from the soothing, empowering picture the hospital had promised in its ads.

Instead, she tells Yahoo Parenting, she was met with aggressive medical interventions that left her disempowered, permanently injured, and psychologically traumatized. Now she’s in the midst of a lawsuit against the hospital and its huge parent corporation, Tenet Health

I am sure Tenet Health isn't the only one pushing the whole "We will help you experience the empowerment of giving birth and become a member of the ever-growing Fertility Cult(TM) in the USA."

Nimrods.

Just another problem caused by the child and pregnancy worshiping culture we have in the USA. If someone had good luck with another doctor and/or hospital, why not stick with what works?
November 22, 2015
Its possible the "aggressive interventions" might have been, for some reason, necessary in her case and so they had to break from the "soothing" protocol that might have happened had she not had a problem. They probably did not have time to inform her if for example the baby was "stuck in there". Besides, doesn't she know most ads for anything are an exaggeration? She would if she watched "Mad Men."
November 22, 2015
mr. neptune
Its possible the "aggressive interventions" might have been, for some reason, necessary in her case and so they had to break from the "soothing" protocol that might have happened had she not had a problem. They probably did not have time to inform her if for example the baby was "stuck in there". Besides, doesn't she know most ads for anything are an exaggeration? She would if she watched "Mad Men."

And let's be real, there is a difference between a hospital and a resort hotel.

This place was promising a lot of the latter, and only a little bit of the former.

American hospitals are generally clinical and sterile. They offer excellent medical care, but they aren't warm, cozy places. An American resort/hotel is warm, cozy, pampering... and yet doesn't offer much in the way of medical care.

If you're having surgery or birthing a kid, you go to a HOSPITAL.

If you want to be pampered, you go to a RESORT HOTEL.
November 22, 2015
I hate to say it, but I'm going to side with the moo on this one, only because the advertising promised something the hospital didn't deliver. The government has been cracking down on healthcare providers making promises in advertising that they can't back up. I would see the need for deviating from Moo's wishes if the baby was in peril but it seemed like a pretty normal loafing, only the nurses appeared to be total Nazis and the doctor was nowhere to be found. Having said that, she should only get her hospital expenses refunded because pain and suffering goes hand-in-hand with loafing. The kid's healthy, isn't that reward enough?

--------------------
"[GFG's pregnancy is] kind of like at the stables where that one dumb, ugly-ass mare broke out of her corral one day and got herself screwed by the equally fugly colt that was due to be gelded the same afternoon."- Shiny
November 23, 2015
Miss_Hannigan
I hate to say it, but I'm going to side with the moo on this one, only because the advertising promised something the hospital didn't deliver. The government has been cracking down on healthcare providers making promises in advertising that they can't back up. I would see the need for deviating from Moo's wishes if the baby was in peril but it seemed like a pretty normal loafing, only the nurses appeared to be total Nazis and the doctor was nowhere to be found. Having said that, she should only get her hospital expenses refunded because pain and suffering goes hand-in-hand with loafing. The kid's healthy, isn't that reward enough?

And they should crack down. It's healthcare not a damm maul. Problem is hospitals are being run by MBA's trained to sell consumer goods. Want to fix health care - fire the money people.

thom_c
Miss_Hannigan

And they should crack down. It's healthcare not a damm maul. Problem is hospitals are being run by MBA's trained to sell consumer goods. Want to fix health care - fire the money people.

#NotAllMBAs

smiling smiley

Not me anyway because I got mine from the U of Chicago which means I'm a Communist.

grinning smiley

Do not work in the health field either - so you're safe from me anyway, ha
November 23, 2015
StudioFiftyFour

Unfortunately, one of these pampered cows can help pay for ten uninsured patients. Hence the catering with birfin' suites and room service.

--------------------
"[GFG's pregnancy is] kind of like at the stables where that one dumb, ugly-ass mare broke out of her corral one day and got herself screwed by the equally fugly colt that was due to be gelded the same afternoon."- Shiny
November 24, 2015
Miss_Hannigan
Hence the catering with birfin' suites and room service.

I can't help but doubt a person's commitment to parenthood when their attention is focused entirely on their own "birthing experience" rather than the well being of the child.
November 24, 2015
StudioFiftyFour

Not particularly applying this comment to women giving birth, but having spent a lot of time in a number of hospitals with Dh over the last couple of years, I'm very happy with the way health facilities have become more hospitable and - yes - resort-like. I guess it's been almost 30 years since I really had any business in one; I remember the hospitals of the 80s as cold, sterile and scary places to be. Modern health centers have become warmer and less scary ... well, with the exception of a teaching hospital where Dh spent time in an ICU this past spring. It didn't look like it had been updated since 1982, either in appearance or the way patients were handled, and was a miserable experience for us.

So, yes, if I'm in the hospital undergoing painful and scary stuff, I want it to be comfy and at least a bit resort-like. Believe me, that sort of atmosphere can impact how well a patient endures what they are going through and helps lessen the stress of family members who are supporting them.
November 24, 2015
On one hand, don't promise what you cannot deliver, but also I expect she had to sign some kind of paperwork with conditions that do not guarantee the moo can direct the show in every case. Then again her husband is a lawyer, he should have gone through that with a fine toothed comb. Then again, they can drag this out I court just because ( it is owned by a huge corporation $$).

The maternity units now look more homey I think but in the end you just have to get that loaf out as safely as possible. The only person I know who I allowed to yap to me about their birfing experience said she was allowed to change positions as needed. They always either squat or get on hands and knees, which I suppose is how it happens naturally. I think when it came to the end she had to get in a prone position.

Thankful that will never be me/us. Will eat a feast and have a toast this week in such thanks - hey no "birthing abuse", woo-hoo!
November 24, 2015
why switch from something that works.
again, the lure was the stoopid moo udder rubbing scenario.

two cents ¢¢

CERTIFIED HOSEHEAD!!!

people (especially women) do not give ONE DAMN about what they inflict on children and I defy anyone to prove me wrong

Dysfunctional relationships almost always have a child. The more dysfunctional, the more children.

The selfish wants of adults outweigh the needs of the child.

Some mistakes cannot be fixed, but some mistakes can be 'fixed'.

People who say they sleep like a baby usually don't have one. Leo J. Burke

Adoption agencies have strict criteria (usually). Breeders, whose combined IQ's would barely hit triple digits, have none.
November 26, 2015
Sounds like this was just a case of controlling, medical rapey nurses. In this case, the moo seems to have legit complaints. If the nurses actually did drug her (after the loaf was sluced) without her knowledge or consent, force her to labor on her back (which has been scientifically proven time and time again to be much less safe for all parties involved), and "press her babies head into her vagiana to prevent delivery" (icky icky icky bleagh), than yeah she should sue the balls off that hospital. Also I can empathise with this statement "It’s a creepy feeling to hear nurses and hospital administrators who sincerely believe they have the rights over my body". This moos only crime seems to be high expectations. Throw in some false advertizement from the hospital, and I'm on the moos side, she can be a cautinary tale for why not to get preggers.

Also "requiring that she labor on her back, feet in stirrups, with epidurals and episiotomies" all these things have been scientifically proven to be unhealthy for moo and loaf years ago. Epistiotomies are more likely to cause severe tering than prevent it, labor on back I've already covered, feet in stirrups basically just wastes energy and weakens lower body strength (which is really important), epidurals are good to have if they are wanted, but can actually make labor more dangeourous because they make it difficult to push. All these medicallized approaches are actually more based in tradition than science. The whole midwife birthing pool thing is just an overcorrection.
November 26, 2015
I don't know why moos expect pignasty to be soothing (they actually used this word to describe pignasty, WTF) and empowering life-changing experience (well the last part is right, at least, for the worse). They're wrecking their bodies and risking all sorts of complications for a parasite that exits the abused orifice only to be parasitic in a different way. If pignasty were a beootiful meeracul of lyfe then explain gestational diabetes, eclampsia, etc.
December 02, 2015
Sorry if this is slightly off topic, but it seems like you all have it covered pretty well. I went to the article, then to he linked FB post, then accidentally clicked on one of the moos who commented praising the post, which was in support of letting moos do whatever they want and fuck the fetus. The moo's cover photo was her in a pool with her newborn baby. The caption written across the photo was "25 year hypnobirth anniversary, 1990 - 2015." Nothing about the actual child she brought into the world, no... it was all about moo's birth experience. I mean, would that not be the kid's birthday too? The birthing is more important to them than all the stuff thatcomes after. I can't imagine leading such a dull life that the most excitement I get is from talking and fantasizing about the crunchy and natchural ways I could be giving birth.

JohnDrake
selidororous

Nimrods.

Just another problem caused by the child and pregnancy worshiping culture we have in the USA. If someone had good luck with another doctor and/or hospital, why not stick with what works?

She should have just stopped at the third, period. (Or hey, how bout none at all) But I guess that weird looking dad had to have his golden penis. And moo needed a new baby to attention whore.

Another question... if DuH was there, why didn't he do anything? Why the Hell would the nurse push the baby back in?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login