Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Job interview: I got The Question

Posted by stillwaters 
Re: Job interview: I got The Question
February 02, 2016
I got the question once, about 15 years ago. The interviewer was weird and fucked up anyway. When he first called me I asked if the job was full or part time, and he immediately started talking about salary. I said the stated salary was fine and asked again about the hours. He said it could be either, and I said I preferred full time but would be willing to take part time.

When I got to the interview he talked as if he was definitely going to hire me, and told me the pay several more times. Each time I said it was fine. Then he asked where I live and when I told him he said "That's a long way. Can you get here on time? Do you have a husband and kids?" I knew this was an illegal question but I really needed work and the job was a good one, so I hesitated then said no. I was tempted to tell him he was not supposed to ask me that but I didn't.

Someone else was hired and he avoided my phone calls. Damn I wish it had occurred to me to report this assclown to the department of labor. At the time I was working with a veteran's job counselor and he refused to do anything when I told him the interviewer was a doctor at a hospital (the job was in a lab). He said harassing a doctor would ruin my chances of getting hired at that hospital. He was kind of an assclown too. The world is full of them.angry smiley

On a related note, sometimes I wonder if my body type has prevented me from getting jobs. I am chubby and top heavy, with big boobs and a pot belly. I always try to dress in a way that does not emphasize this in public, but it is not possible to hide it completely. I wonder if some people look at me and think "nursing mother". Of course if they want to hire moos this should be an asset. I don't know.
February 03, 2016
I've never been asked about kids but I think that's because I'm transgendered and present as masculine even though I don't take hormones. I have a very androgynous visage so I think the kids question is about off the table forever as I look like an effeminate gay man or an extremely butch lesbian.

But here's hoping that I'm right. I would generally leave the question with a chirpy "nope" and leave it. If someone asked me about my cycle though I'm not sure if I wouldn't take over the interview to ask some questions of my own, only offering answers as I got them.

Little known fact: interviews aren't the same as court trials. They're a conversation.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
So.. We know that food and water are running out, with overpopulation and all... Yet people keep on poppin' out those babies! I guess they want to have their baby and eat it too...

My top reason is that parenting gives you a free license to be selfish based purely on the fact that you're being selfish for an emanation of your own self. The illusion that what you do to benefit your children benefits them solely is a fallacy. Every parent benefits from the benefits that their children receive. Henceforth, it gives one a license to perpetuate a dog-eat-dog mentality that I perceive to be amoral. Parents say that their children are their greatest loves, what they forget to add is that they are their ONLY loves and only because their children are a reflection of themselves. I prefer to be able to love multiple people and have lasting relationships of many types and possess the essential core value of empathy for all than to restrict myself to an echo chamber of ego-masturbation and self-serving chicanery.

In short: Not parenting makes you a better person.
February 04, 2016
I would personally be fine with an interviewer asking me about my reproductive plans if it meant I'd have a better chance of getting hired.. and would add that my lack of resource suckers means my schedule is far more flexible and I won't need to constantly leave early or come in late for anything child-related.

Though sometimes I do question if what I am and what I look like could be interfering with my ability to even get my foot into any door; not only am I a woman (which I know makes me a less desirable potential employee from the get-go), but I'm also fat. I'm not even taking my shitty work history into account, and I wonder if employers look at me and assume that I'm just a fat, lazy slob and not worth hiring.
February 05, 2016
Cambion
Though sometimes I do question if what I am and what I look like could be interfering with my ability to even get my foot into any door; not only am I a woman (which I know makes me a less desirable potential employee from the get-go), but I'm also fat. I'm not even taking my shitty work history into account, and I wonder if employers look at me and assume that I'm just a fat, lazy slob and not worth hiring.

Appearance plays a huge part. I'm always concerned if someone is going to look at me in my fucking $100 Haggar suit and tie and think "GORL!" and then not hire me simply because I don't act as a "woman should". Fuck that noise. The main issue is that this is what most employers think so FML. Add that to the list of disqualifying shit.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
So.. We know that food and water are running out, with overpopulation and all... Yet people keep on poppin' out those babies! I guess they want to have their baby and eat it too...

My top reason is that parenting gives you a free license to be selfish based purely on the fact that you're being selfish for an emanation of your own self. The illusion that what you do to benefit your children benefits them solely is a fallacy. Every parent benefits from the benefits that their children receive. Henceforth, it gives one a license to perpetuate a dog-eat-dog mentality that I perceive to be amoral. Parents say that their children are their greatest loves, what they forget to add is that they are their ONLY loves and only because their children are a reflection of themselves. I prefer to be able to love multiple people and have lasting relationships of many types and possess the essential core value of empathy for all than to restrict myself to an echo chamber of ego-masturbation and self-serving chicanery.

In short: Not parenting makes you a better person.
February 05, 2016
See, I'd hire you over some "mainstream" type of person.

Evan Davis
February 05, 2016
Cambion
I would personally be fine with an interviewer asking me about my reproductive plans if it meant I'd have a better chance of getting hired.. and would add that my lack of resource suckers means my schedule is far more flexible and I won't need to constantly leave early or come in late for anything child-related.

Excellent point the first. Of course it means we can be taken advantage of because they assume no kids equals no life.

It shouldn't matter if you're fat and that really stinks.

Evan Davis
February 07, 2016
cfchevygirl
Cult of the Chyld or not, I don't know why anyone would think being childfree would be a negative and being a parent would be a positive. CF won't be calling off for every time Sneuxflayke gets the sniffles. CF won't have to leave work early or come in late for kiddie-related crap. CF won't insist on having every weekend off so they can spend time with the kyds who are in school during the week. CF won't get inpig and take months off -- usually occurs shortly after being hired -- or decide not to come back after having a loaf and leaving the company in the lurch to find a new employee without notice. Just to name a few.

Breeders are more likely to follow the herd, easily convinced and a lot easier to guilt into not walking out of the job when its no longer is practical. Once a fresh loaf is involved, the less pleased parent will end up doing everything they can to stay at work, away from home. Means the company might get a voluntary overtime worker.

So many CL or will-breed, say their not having kids during interviews, when they really should just say their intending to have them at a later time. Which means as soon as they've got work, so they can get maternity leave. True CF people, can think for themselves, weigh up pro's and cons, see through the bullshit; are more likely to up and leave when the job no longer suits their needs, or is more of a burden than its worth.

But yes, you would think employers would want an individual from a childfree single or couple. In saying that, IF a CL/Will-breed/breeder has got more skills and experience required to do the job that out weigh the CF persons interviewed, then who cares.
February 13, 2016
Did you hear back from them yet?

Evan Davis
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login