Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Teacher Thinks He Can Save Ill-Mannered Sneuxflaykes, Gets a Rude Awakening.

Posted by cfchevygirl 

Ed Boland stepped out of a twenty-year career as a nonprofit executive to teach in a tough inner city school on Manhattan's Lower East Side.

His idealism was shattered after a year in urban public schooling and he penned this provocative memoir as 'a radical call to action' to change the system that is failing its students mired in poverty, racism and violence.

He believes teachers alone should not be expected to solve the overwhelming issues their students face. Here are some excerpts from Ed Boland's The Battle For Room 314, published by Grand Central Publishing.

The way the article is laid out, it's kind of hard to quote, but here's an excerpt.

And then there was a dull thud, followed by a crash. Near the door he had just kicked open stood one Kameron Shields in pure renegade glory, a one-man violation of every possible rule. Above the neck alone, he was flaunting four violations:

He wore sunglasses and a baseball cap over a red bandanna over iPod headphones. A silver flip phone was clipped to his baggy jeans. Everything he wore was cherry red—the hallmark color of the Bloods. I didn't know much about gangs, but even I knew that.

He turned his grinning face to the ceiling and howled,'WASS . . . UP . . . N****S?'

I stood in front of him before he could complete his round of gladhanding. He turned 90 degrees toward one of his buddies, Fat Clovis, looked me up and down, and asked, 'Who dat?'

His question had a ring of genuine curiosity. I started the morning with first-day jitters made worse with too much caffeine; I was now approaching full-blown panic. My palms got clammy and my mouth sour.

'Hey, somebody forgot to tell this n***a that it's supposed to go like this.'

He took his index finger and made a f***ing motion into his rolled-up fist, while simulating what I supposed was a female orgasm.

'Mister,' he continued, staring at me, 'it don't go like this.'

He clumsily jammed the tips of his two index fingers together and accompanied the motion with falsetto male groans. Christ, I had barely said a word. Could he really smell the gay on me that readily? I'm bent, but I'm not Richard Simmons.

'What's your name?' I barked.

'Nemesis.'

'Well, Nemesis,' I said, summoning what I thought a real teacher would say, 'you can't just walk in here like that and disrupt this class.'

He laughed. 'I can't come in here and do that? Well, it looks like I just did, don't it?'

He had me there. Luckily lunch time came fast. I bolted into the faculty lounge and sought out a few of the veterans.

'Who is this Kameron Shields?' I asked, and then in an attempt to camouflage my fear in humor: 'And why isn't he chained to a rock somewhere?'

There was a range of frowns, laughs, and moans.

'Oh, you met dear Kameron, did you? He was the pride of the middle school here,' said Monica with a sheepish smile.

'Oh yeah, he's brutal. He threw an electric pencil sharpener at Miss Dimitriopolou's head last year. That should have gotten him expelled, but our fearless leader thinks it's a failure to throw any kidout,' added Marquis, the sophomore history teacher.
The class population at the lower Manhattan school was mostly black and Latino -- a few Asian kids and exactly one white child. The rules list included no electronics visible or in use, no sunglasses or hats, no gang wear, no foul language, no fighting. But that was only a list and not the reality, as the author learned on his first day.

The class population at the lower Manhattan school was mostly black and Latino -- a few Asian kids and exactly one white child. The rules list included no electronics visible or in use, no sunglasses or hats, no gang wear, no foul language, no fighting. But that was only a list and not the reality, as the author learned on his first day.

When Kameron threatened to blow up the school, Boland reported him to the principal, Mei Vong. She was required to report it to a superintendent who in turn notified Homeland Security. Kameron wasn't arrested but he was sent to a suspension center in the South Bronx for two months.

I secretly hoped I might earn a little credibility with the kids since I was the first teacher in the three-year history of Union Street who managed to get Kameron suspended, though many had tried.

But no such luck: I had sold their hero up the river on a trumped-up charge. Despite my victory, the damage he had done to my reputation that first day was beyond repair.

Instead of the gay witch hunt dying down after he was gone, as I'd hoped, the rest of the boys declared open season on me in his name.

I feel terrible for the guy because he tried. I think he was naive in going into the situation in the first place, but sometimes, who isn't? I think he learned a lesson that sometimes kids cannot be 'saved'. In most of these situations, society, teachers, the school, etc. get the blame. But the fact of the matter is, these kids learn these behaviors at home; either from shitty parents or no parents at all. It's interesting that any time we see such a situation, bad parenting is rarely ever brought up, when it should be the number one factor mentioned. I wasn't a shitty kid and I'm not a shitty person anyways, but I wouldn't have dared act the way these kids in the article, and many kids today in general, act. My mom would've kicked my ass.

Link

At least most of the commenters know it's a parents thing first and foremost.
this is why I think the situation is beyond salvation.
these kids are their own worst enemies and their so called parent(s) are no better
their mothers are welfare whores whose claim to fame is how high in status the gangbanger baby daddy is.
they
are
lost
totally and completely
if their little assholes were kicked through their teeth when they were toadlers, they would most likely be better mannered.
we are now dealing with generations of welfare ticks who never have required anything from their ilk as they were never required to behave or anything either. (the sins of the parents will be visited down to the 3rd and 4th generation...like it or not it plays out)
they are the only ones who can change and the higher ups (like the school principal or superintendent) like them just as they are and where they are as they can be manipulated easily (even if they don't think so).
it may well be considered racist, but it only developed because they fell for the trap in the 60's by extending their hands for the gubmint welfare dollar. and each successive ethnic group is having the same phony bill of goods presented to them.
so much for the war on poverty.

two cents ¢¢

CERTIFIED HOSEHEAD!!!

people (especially women) do not give ONE DAMN about what they inflict on children and I defy anyone to prove me wrong

Dysfunctional relationships almost always have a child. The more dysfunctional, the more children.

The selfish wants of adults outweigh the needs of the child.

Some mistakes cannot be fixed, but some mistakes can be 'fixed'.

People who say they sleep like a baby usually don't have one. Leo J. Burke

Adoption agencies have strict criteria (usually). Breeders, whose combined IQ's would barely hit triple digits, have none.

I feel for the guy. He tried, and that more than I can say for most people.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
So.. We know that food and water are running out, with overpopulation and all... Yet people keep on poppin' out those babies! I guess they want to have their baby and eat it too...

My top reason is that parenting gives you a free license to be selfish based purely on the fact that you're being selfish for an emanation of your own self. The illusion that what you do to benefit your children benefits them solely is a fallacy. Every parent benefits from the benefits that their children receive. Henceforth, it gives one a license to perpetuate a dog-eat-dog mentality that I perceive to be amoral. Parents say that their children are their greatest loves, what they forget to add is that they are their ONLY loves and only because their children are a reflection of themselves. I prefer to be able to love multiple people and have lasting relationships of many types and possess the essential core value of empathy for all than to restrict myself to an echo chamber of ego-masturbation and self-serving chicanery.

In short: Not parenting makes you a better person.
I think a field trip to the local NAACP office would be in order for this "young man" named Nemesis.
I am tired of hearing the N word used constantly in public by those that get so offended by its use.
This is what Clive Bundy was talking about when he said a lot of folks were better off as slaves. But instead of stepping back a minute and trying to understand what he was attempting to say, they got all butt hurt. And he kind of has a point. They are still slaves. Not to to some rich (and not nessesarily white) plantation owner but to the government cheese. At least on the plantation the family unit was mostly intact, the younger generation was educated, food and housing was provided for work done. Slavery is a terrible thing, which still occurs on a much more horiffic scale in Africa and the middle east. But at least on the plantation life somewhat resembled civilization.
breakstuff
At least on the plantation the family unit was mostly intact, the younger generation was educated,

Err, in what world?

People could be sold, which means there was no guarantee, ever, of the family staying intact even if they wanted to. Women could be raped at will by the master of the house, and if children resulted their father could sell them off as well. Universal education did not exist for people who were not enslaved, and certainly there was no widespread schooling of slave children. The memoirs that were collected in the early 20th century are largely recordings for a reason, that reason being that few slaves were taught to write.

Try reading the forum rules and take your bullshit somewhere else.

It is one thing to say that slavery still exists in another form, and quite another thing to claim that slavery was for people's own good.
yurble
breakstuff
At least on the plantation the family unit was mostly intact, the younger generation was educated,

Err, in what world?

People could be sold, which means there was no guarantee, ever, of the family staying intact even if they wanted to. Women could be raped at will by the master of the house, and if children resulted their father could sell them off as well. Universal education did not exist for people who were not enslaved, and certainly there was no widespread schooling of slave children. The memoirs that were collected in the early 20th century are largely recordings for a reason, that reason being that few slaves were taught to write.

Try reading the forum rules and take your bullshit somewhere else.

It is one thing to say that slavery still exists in another form, and quite another thing to claim that slavery was for people's own good.

Not only that, literacy was literally a death sentence for slaves. Any educated slave had to keep it quiet because otherwise, they would be whipped to an inch of their lives or lynched.

Jesus, considering that slavery is like the only thing that's ever taught about black history, it's pretty common knowledge that families were rarely kept intact. They were considered property, not people. The belief back then was that black slaves didn't have the ability to love their children the way white people did theirs, so it didn't matter if their children were ripped away from them and no slave marriages were legally recognized.

------------------------------------------------------------
"Why children take so long to grow? They eat and drink like pig and give nothing back. Must find way to accelerate process..."
- Dr. Yi Suchong, Bioshock

"Society does not need more children; but it does need more loved children. Quite literally, we cannot afford unloved children - but we pay heavily for them every day. There should not be the slightest communal concern when a woman elects to destroy the life of her thousandth-of-an-ounce embryo. But all society should rise up in alarm when it hears that a baby that is not wanted is about to be born."
- Garrett Hardin

"I feel like there's a message involved here somehow, but then I couldn't stop laughing at all the plotholes, like the part when North Korea has food."
- Youtube commentor referring to a North Korean cartoon.

"Reality is a bitch when it slowly crawls out of your vagina and shits in your lap."
- Reddit comment

"Bitch wants a baby, so we're gonna fuck now. #bareback"
- Cambion

Oh whatever. Abortion doctors are crimestoppers."
- Miss Hannigan
breakstuff
This is what Clive Bundy was talking about when he said a lot of folks were better off as slaves. But instead of stepping back a minute and trying to understand what he was attempting to say, they got all butt hurt. And he kind of has a point. They are still slaves. Not to to some rich (and not nessesarily white) plantation owner but to the government cheese. At least on the plantation the family unit was mostly intact, the younger generation was educated, food and housing was provided for work done. Slavery is a terrible thing, which still occurs on a much more horiffic scale in Africa and the middle east. But at least on the plantation life somewhat resembled civilization.

Ummm....wut? confused smiley

This is the creepiest thing I've read on this board in recent history. Take your racist BS and shove it.
we are probably back on a road to slavery so we may well find out.

two cents ¢¢

CERTIFIED HOSEHEAD!!!

people (especially women) do not give ONE DAMN about what they inflict on children and I defy anyone to prove me wrong

Dysfunctional relationships almost always have a child. The more dysfunctional, the more children.

The selfish wants of adults outweigh the needs of the child.

Some mistakes cannot be fixed, but some mistakes can be 'fixed'.

People who say they sleep like a baby usually don't have one. Leo J. Burke

Adoption agencies have strict criteria (usually). Breeders, whose combined IQ's would barely hit triple digits, have none.
Ahhh... gimme the life of a slave any day!

Gotta love being bought and sold...

Buy me

Look at all those beautiful free clothes! So stylish, dontcha think?

so stylish

Look, the masters were so generous to give them all chains! Doesn't everybody like neck jewelry?

neck fashion

But don't worry, the master will be sure to take good care of you....after he beat the living shit out of you.

master's TLC

I'm a Jew who was born in Egypt.

Am I the slave, or the master?

ERMAHGAD! I'm Shroedinger's Cat now!

Now I'm conflicted and in limbo - GAH

Owait - since I'm a US Citizen - does this mean I should move back to "The Promised Land" and go flip burgers at Mickey D's?

This would be where all this converges.

Wait - a McMansion in Beverly Hills ~ (a Breeder Burb of Cairo) - so, do I have to go live there?

With Ward Cleaver Biz Man H and maybe I will have a part time job at McDonalds?

And we will name our kids Wally and The Beav. ?

Breaking Moron
Slavery is a terrible thing, which still occurs on a much more horiffic scale in Africa and the middle east.

Where is this occurring in these places? Unless you mean working at a KFC in Cairo or a McD's in Tel Aviv. ?

Wait, Ima guess you think everyone there is riding around on Camels.

Uh, no - they're riding around in their SMooVs going to McDonalds. Take a look at the 21st century, why don't you?

ETA - I'm a white person also. I know - who'da thunk it? A white person - from the ME???? Yep. There are LOTS of us there! And always have been. Yeah, I know, hard to imagine from all the Propaganda of Ay Rabs riding around on camels. But true. Strange but true. Hit the Google thingy or crack open a History book - it'll blow your mind!
breakstuff

VioletYoshi, is that you?

--------------------
"[GFG's pregnancy is] kind of like at the stables where that one dumb, ugly-ass mare broke out of her corral one day and got herself screwed by the equally fugly colt that was due to be gelded the same afternoon."- Shiny
Um... Slavery wasn't very nice (massive understatement) and there is no measurable depth to the level of the ick that I feel when people try to tell me that slavery was a good thing for the slaves. Slavery was a grievous blotch on our country's record and I don't see it being positive in the least.

That being said, with all these people that can't get jobs, I don't think we are too far away from a round 2.
breakstuff

HAHAHAHAAA! Holy shitsnacks, you really don't know history eh? Clive Bundy is a damn welfare whore himself, and a fucking seditionist prick.
Trashy people come from ALL backgrounds btw. Do you really believe all black folks approve of this type of behavior?
Hell to the fucking no. And funny, all the school shootings seem to be done by upper class white trash males.

Evan Davis
Wow, Breakstuff, you need to delve into your family history. If you are a white person with ancestors stretching back at least 200 years, particularly in the eastern United States, you'll likely get an unpleasant dose of realism.

I have copies of wills from a number of my surname ancestors. Along with things like cows, bedsteads and "3 delft plates," people were included as possessions to be passed to inheritors. No last names, simply a "mulatto named Argo," a "negro cook," or a "12 year old slave girl, to be given to my wife for her perpetuity, then passed to my oldest son." Those words burned into my brain. Not that I felt white guilt over ancestors owning slaves, but I felt a sense of disbelief that such an entitlement existed in this country.
The slave culture not only caused an issue with education but also with safety around water. Today, most drownings that happen, at least in our area, are to children who are African-American. Turns out that in the time of slavery, not only was education going to get you in trouble, but the plantation owner better not see one of the slaves could swim. Swimming was made out to be dangerous and evil because doing so could allow slaves to just swim away from the plantation. This fear was passed down through generations, not only that but many pools were made to be white only, that is until maybe the 60s and civil rights. One example of this fear was a ship tragedy that is not always taught about. At the end of the civil war, the steamer Sultana was overloaded and steaming down the Mississippi river. The boilers exploded, and even though it was not far from shore, many men died because they could not swim at all. In fact, almost 2500 people, almost twice the number who died on the Titanic.

Thom, what are your thoughts on this issue? It seems as soon as the weather here is warmer every year, another African American youngster drowns and it makes the news
I really feel for the man. Teachers just aren't respected in our society, and they should be. It makes me sad.

Evan Davis
Now its happened in Breed Hills, in the 83 million dollar luxury liner high school we built for them. The kids shouldn't do that but where are the teachers/principal/resource officer?

http://www.wpxi.com/videos/news/video-circulating-online-of-penn-hills-student/vDjpZW/
breakstuff

Racism is generally born of ignorance. I know of places where there are parents who keep their kids from learning so they can get a disability check on them, where the kids are lucky if their grandparents haven't yet smoked themselves to death when their teenaged moo runs off with the best drug dealer she can find then gets hooked on Oxy or Meth. Where baths are few. Where obesity rules and nutrition is zero, and people put soda in their babies' bottles. Appalachia, where I was born and raised. ALL THESE PEOPLE ARE WHITE!
Diverting from the whackadoo KKK propaganda bullshit that derailed this thread, I actually think the memoir quoted in the OP looks interesting as hell and I might actually pick it up if it's on Nook. I'm primarily a fantasy reader, but occasionally witty, well-written non-fiction like this memoir appears to be will draw me in. If I do read it, I'll present any relevant excerpts to the board for dissection. grinning smiley

On that note, I can't imagine being a teacher in this day and age, where the kids are allowed to run roughshod all over your balls and the administration can't or won't do shit because of district politics and budget-seeking BS.

---
"Yes, fellow readers, nothing says 'devoted father of a special needs kid' quite like drinking, snorting cocaine, and then taking the boat out for a spin."
- Tiquer
I can see why a lot of teachers leave the profession. I couldn't imagine having to deal with this kind of shit, day in and day out with no support from the school, peers, parunts or community. It would be a very isolating job, having to put up with constant shit from the kids, and being told to "Deal with it" because it's your job.

I remember reading a thread on here about a teacher who lit herself on fire because she was so stressed out from teaching the little fuckers. I think the stress and anxiety would be enough to drive most people to madness.

I just want to applaud the teachers on this board, because you guys amaze me.
I'm late jumping in on this and am still sick so bear with me if it doesn't make sense or comes off as offensive.

I'm in a state where people are desperately trying to change a symbol on the state flag. Normally I would agree that, yes it needs to change. My problem lies in the fact that instead of focusing and acknowledging the flag under which everything horrible has happened, people instead choose to focus on this symbol. They are removing Confederate symbols, graves etc. Anything that has to do with the Confederacy is being removed. Again under normal circumstances it would be awesome to have finally come to a point where the hurt is behind us and we can move on.

But were not there, and the comment above proves this.

The majority of the atrocities before and after the Civil War were committed under the American Flag, not the Confederate Flag. People removed from their homes, brought here, the natives killed off or removed, women enslaved to have no rights, non-white's with no rights, all of this happened under the US flag. We're literally burying a poison deeper by trying to ignore the fact that racism and sexism happened and is still happening. "Slaves got an education?" women didn't even get an education. Education was reserved for the rich white men only. We're seeing the results of this trying to bury what happened and change the whole history of it to make only the Confederacy the bad guy. Granted, they were assholes that needed an ass kicking but they were honest about the assholeness. The same policies went on in the North as it did the South but people only want to see what went on in the South because it was more open. They don't talk about the polices that led to the Chicago riots or the influx of crack into poor neighborhoods and what the policies were that led them to become ghettos. If people did, that would make the US government the bad guy and prove just how racist our system still is. These idiot's, black and white, need to really have the whole truth laid out to them. All of it. Maybe then they would be grateful that a baby step is actually allowing them to have an education instead of just their rich counterparts. The same with these girls that think being pregnant at 16 is the end all be all.

But then again, the more ignorant the masses and the more they think someone else is getting more than them, the easier they are to control.

Need a Hitler emote for this bullshit.

"It is better not to look like what you are; it is better to look like a bourgeois woman because then all the doors are open for you and then you can just go and make hell." - Marjane Satrapi
I had a few students like these and an administrator who'd bend over backwards to the parrunts of these little sh#t stains. Add this to the testing mania and overly punitive evaluations and loss of autonomy you can see why I'm "DELIRIOUSLY HAPPY"... cause I'm f#ckin' recently RETIRED!!!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login