Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Watership Down on at Easter. Moos lose it.

Posted by bookworm 
Watership Down on at Easter. Moos lose it.
March 29, 2016
Daily Fail

What on earth did they think Watership Down was about? Fluffy Bunnykins hopping around all day with nothing bad happening? The film was made back in 1978 and I have no doubt that the moos have seen it before. The book was first released 1972 and was required reading at school so should be no surprises.

Poor little snowflakes.
Re: Watership Down on at Easter. Moos lose it.
March 29, 2016
I read on imdb that the British film agency still gets complaints about that film.

The scene with the burrows filled with the bunnies..... Good nightmare material there. Yea, I have this on DVD and have read the book several times, the first time was in my early teen years.

Since we had HBO in the 70s, I got desensitized to this stuff pretty quickly.
Anonymous User
March 29, 2016
And there was me thinking that getting traumatised by Watership Down was a rite of passage grinning smiley

How can people not know what this film is about? And if it is supposedly so bad why don't they just change the channel. FFS
March 29, 2016
Heard the title, but never saw it. They had a link to the trailor. That looks like a bad ass bunny film smiling smiley Now, to find a link where I can watch it for free smiling smiley
March 29, 2016
:::picturing a bunch of moos going "tharn":::

That is kind of dark, showing the movie on Happy Bunny Day ......

99% of people operate their tvs with a remote, so I'm sure it was close at hand and could have been *clicked* off as soon as the parent realized what was on. More likely, the tv was being used as a babysitter and the parents weren't paying attention to the programming until a kid started bawling. Well, that's what you get for not being attentive parents.
March 29, 2016
Wasn't allowed to see Watership Down as a kid since moo thought it had too much violence. Moos today have tons of resources to check a movie for whatever they find objectionable.

What's next? They show their brats Grave of the Fireflies and moo about everything.
March 29, 2016
I haven't actually seen Watership Down, but I can only imagine it's a violent movie, just by the name. What are these idiots thinking? Moos are never happy unless they have something to bitch and complain about. All they have to do is research the movie, as mentioned above, and then they can pick and choose things that are more appropriate for their sneauphayxe. I guess they are just too damned lazy to do that.
March 29, 2016
I have seen both Watership Down and Grave of the Fireflies. Both are very good imo.
Also, maybe some of these cows should tell their little buggers the truth: sooner or later they will have to.

two cents ΒΆΒΆ

CERTIFIED HOSEHEAD!!!

people (especially women) do not give ONE DAMN about what they inflict on children and I defy anyone to prove me wrong

Dysfunctional relationships almost always have a child. The more dysfunctional, the more children.

The selfish wants of adults outweigh the needs of the child.

Some mistakes cannot be fixed, but some mistakes can be 'fixed'.

People who say they sleep like a baby usually don't have one. Leo J. Burke

Adoption agencies have strict criteria (usually). Breeders, whose combined IQ's would barely hit triple digits, have none.
March 29, 2016
:::picturing a bunch of moos going "tharn":::

Oh, if only they were in the path of a hrududu while doing so.
I've read the book and seen the film so many times I can actually understand spoken, and apparently, written, lapine.

If anyone here hasn't seen this film, it's a must see, bucket-list before you die film.
March 29, 2016
I saw this on Fakebook last night. Someone at that TV station has a dark sense of humor. I love it. smiling smiley

I've never read nor watched Watership Down (I want to, though), but I still know it's a violent film. In spite of TONS of proof of the contrary, breeders still generally believe that cartoon = child-friendly, so if they see something animated, they plop their brats down in front of the TV so they won't have to actually interact with their children.

The book was first released 1972 and was required reading at school so should be no surprises.

That's probably what happens when teens drop out of school to breed. They miss out on the classics.

Article
Yet despite the violent scenes, the film is classified as U, which means it is appropriate for all viewers.

This could be a problem. Perhaps the movie should be re-rated since it's obviously not for everyone. Meanwhile, I guarantee that sales of both the book and the film will see a sharp increase.
March 29, 2016
I have never heard of this. Is it because I was born in the 80's, or because I am American? This looks like a UK thing.

My nightmare material as a kid was The Secret of N.I.M.H.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________
"Not every ejaculation deserves a name" - George Carlin
March 29, 2016
I saw it at the movies when I was a little kid. Pretty sure I was freaked out the first time I saw it, but watched it several more times on TV when I was a bit older. I also had the book. I don't know how many people I've joked about this movie with over the years, because it's infamous for traumatizing kids whose unsuspecting/clueless parents took them to see it in the 70s. Surprised so many parents these days have never at least heard of it.

Great, now I have "Bright Eyes" in my head.
March 29, 2016
Someone wrote a very good synopsis on Wiki. Don't go there unless you want to be spoiled.

I guess you can gauge the tone of the book by those who have been influenced by it or referred to it in their own writing. One of those people being Stephen King. I know that "Watership Down" was mentioned in "The Stand," but it also said to be noted in the "Dark Tower" series.

Been awhile since I read the book or saw the movie. I do remember my impression of the movie being more gory than the book. Or maybe that was just the film maker's interpretation.

The foo-fa-ra reminds me of how parents got their knickers twisted at the DVD of "Pan's Labyrinth." The Pale Man was definitely a character to give little kids nightmares, but since it was a "fantasy," doltish parents related it to something Disney-like and didn't read the warning on the box about the violence.

I got the DVD with behind the scenes features. The artwork in the lair of the Pale Man was definitely detailed in how he liked to gobble little children. It was shown so briefly that it pays to pause through those scenes.
March 29, 2016
LoveToLurk
I have never heard of this. Is it because I was born in the 80's, or because I am American? This looks like a UK thing.

As I mentioned above, we had HBO back in the day so I saw a lot of stuff most kids didn't see.
I got my used DVD copy on Amazon. I think. It's been a while.
I loved the artwork on this film for the stories about El-airahah. One doesn't see this kind of stuff anymore.
Now, it's all Frozen and Shrek and make me gag....

FWIW, if anyone in the U.S. is interested, a total bomb flick that one has to see, if not for the blending of Sgt Pepper's, Zardoz and Logan's Run feel, tonight on Ovation at like, 2:00 a.m., you can see "The Apple". It's a disaster that one must see!
March 29, 2016
They should LOVE it, at the most transparent level it is about perpetuating the species above all else after all.

For next year The Secret of N.I.H.M. and Watership Down double feature!

Reminds me of when I asked a co-worker about the movie Gatsby and she didn't really care for the plot. It was a book first, ya know? And considered a literary classic. Can't imagine seeing a movie like Gatsby without having first read the book.

It can't be the anthropomorphism of the animals (because Disney does it) so it must be the violence (though Disney does this) and the character development of the bunnies. Maybe if they rewrote Watership Down and saccarined the ending, let characters die without bloodshed along with a singsong about dreams coming true then the moos would be happy to float away on a cloud of denial.
March 29, 2016
LoveToLurk

Very British indeed. The actual Watership Down is only a few miles away from me. Always laughed about the amount of dead rabbits on the road around there...

It just goes to show what a bunch of wimp-assed special little snowflakes that are being spat out these days.

As well as Watership Down, school showed us Animal Farm and One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich. We had to read 'The Scottish Play' then go see it performed live by the local Am-Dram group. Never mind such wonderful Public Service films as "Substation Safety that we designed to scare the crap out of you.
March 29, 2016
I just watched Watership Down on youtube. It was a screener version and the ending where Hazel dies was missing, so I googled the ending, and found it. What a wonderful film! Loved every minute of it.

I wasn't allowed to watch Yellow Submarine or anything else similar, because it was the Beatles and rock & roll. My parents considered it subversive. I remember watching it and they turned off the TV and yelled at me (I was in 3rd grade). Dailymotion has it, so I'll be watching that next.
March 29, 2016
Peace
I just watched Watership Down on youtube. It was a screener version and the ending where Hazel dies was missing, so I googled the ending, and found it. What a wonderful film! Loved every minute of it.

I wasn't allowed to watch Yellow Submarine or anything else similar, because it was the Beatles and rock & roll. My parents considered it subversive. I remember watching it and they turned off the TV and yelled at me (I was in 3rd grade). Dailymotion has it, so I'll be watching that next.

When you're done with that YouTube up Light Years. It's French based on an Isaac Asimov story. There is an english dubbed version with some heavy hitter actors. But its definitely something your folks would disapprove of, Peace. Half naked animated blue people will have them exorcising you in no time. I wouldnt be surprised though if its not on YT. I paid a good penny for it used on VHS ten years ago. Its one of my DHs favorite films and a regular go to when he wants to chill.
March 30, 2016
I'm in the rite of passage camp. Welcome to the world Little Timmy and Suzy!
March 30, 2016
LoveToLurk

I'm American, so perhaps the hype/reputation of the movie had been forgotten by the 80's.

The Last Unicorn and Secret of NIMH both left an impact on me as well.
March 30, 2016
Ah, The Last Unicorn. I actually have that one on DVD so I can still watch it.

They don't make them like they used to, that's for sure.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________
"Not every ejaculation deserves a name" - George Carlin
March 30, 2016
If those moos thought Watership Down was traumatising, don't even speak of The Plague Dogs! It is also by Richard Addams and was turned into an animated film.

I saw the Plague Dogs at a birthday party when I was 14. It certainly dampened the festivities.

Where Watership Downs "theme" was conservation, P.D.s was definitely on the evils of animal testing.
March 30, 2016
catharsist
I'm in the rite of passage camp. Welcome to the world Little Timmy and Suzy!

Me too. And Grimm Brothers Fairy Tales, cover to cover!
Anonymous User
March 30, 2016
I haven't logged on in forever but oh man you mention Watership Down and I am *there*.

I've read the book so many times I had to get new copies. Saw the movie when I was a small child, parts of it terrified the shit out of me (I still can't watch the poisoning of Sandleford ad I'm almost fucking thirty, lol) but still somehow really loved it. It'd horrible and beautiful and the music is amazing. Also "bright eyes" makes me bawl every time. I have a tattoo of El-ahrairah on my arm. This book okay.

Whoever broadcasted this movie had a delightfully awful sense of humor and I want to be their friend XD like honestly how can people watching *not* know what this is about? And in the first five minutes Fiver has a terrifying vision. This should clue you in, moos.

Or maybe those kids will end up like me someday whose parents just plunked me down and let me watch it XD
March 31, 2016
I saw Watership Down when I was a kid and it made me cry, but I wasn't traumatised.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login