Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Watership Down on at Easter. Moos lose it.

Posted by bookworm 
Re: Watership Down on at Easter. Moos lose it.
March 31, 2016
never saw the movie but the book is wonderful and sad.

moos are just so stupid. I used to work in a bookstore and I actually had a moo tell me once she didn't want her daughter to read the "little house" books because the word "savage" is used to describe the native americans. I tried explaining that word was in common usage in the 1800s, just as the N word is used in Huck Finn, and never mind that when the ingalls family actually met 2 of the "savages" the realized they were more similar than different. the book is quite enlightened for that time and place. but these types of details are always lost on moos, who just want to cry and get their udders rubbed.

ps: when I was little I had a pet bunny named fiver and he was adorable. smiling smiley
April 01, 2016
I've seen Watership Down and read the book. They're both fascinating. I love edgy animated films. I've also seen The Plague Dogs (want to read the book it's based on), The Secret of NIMH (I grew up watching this and read the book in my teens. Great read!), Felidae (want to read the book it's based on), and Animal Farm (read the book in adulthood. I think the film is actually way more disturbing than the book!), and Ringing Bell to name a few.

I know of a animated short that will warm your hearts. It's called "Rabbit" and it's about two kids abusing and killing a wild rabbit and they eventually get their comeuppance for animal cruelty and being greedy assholes. The ending is damn satisfying! drinking smiley

April 01, 2016
I read Watership Down when I was 12. I enjoyed it. My parents didn't really censor what I read, and I discussed the book with my mom a bit as I went.

I never saw the movie, but I am a total grouch about movies made from books because I've already cast and filmed it in my head while reading it, so of course any directors will get it "wrong". smiling smiley And don't get me started about cutting out sections and adding unnecessary material, either.

Every few years, it seems, Moms remember that Watership Down contains rabbits and therefore must be sanitized for kids. The internet explodes about it for a bit, then calms down for a while.

And a lot of moms DO seem to think that certain subjects are just naturally "kid topics" and no adult-only movies/novels/comics/art should be made about them, because kids will want to look at that movie/novel/comic/art. It's weird...it's not like the moms object to monitoring what their kid watches/reads...it's more like they just think that certain entire topics are kid-only. "If it has bunnies, it should be for kids and I shouldn't have to worry about it!" The world doesn't work that way, moms.
April 01, 2016
randomcfchick
I read Watership Down when I was 12. I enjoyed it. My parents didn't really censor what I read, and I discussed the book with my mom a bit as I went.

I never saw the movie, but I am a total grouch about movies made from books because I've already cast and filmed it in my head while reading it, so of course any directors will get it "wrong". smiling smiley And don't get me started about cutting out sections and adding unnecessary material, either.

Every few years, it seems, Moms remember that Watership Down contains rabbits and therefore must be sanitized for kids. The internet explodes about it for a bit, then calms down for a while.

And a lot of moms DO seem to think that certain subjects are just naturally "kid topics" and no adult-only movies/novels/comics/art should be made about them, because kids will want to look at that movie/novel/comic/art. It's weird...it's not like the moms object to monitoring what their kid watches/reads...it's more like they just think that certain entire topics are kid-only. "If it has bunnies, it should be for kids and I shouldn't have to worry about it!" The world doesn't work that way, moms.

I get it about being annoyed with a lousy book to film adaptation. Trust me, this film is very true to the novel.
The Last Unicorn was also adapted very well from Beagle's book.
April 03, 2016
There was actually a website where parents could check if the movie their kids want to see is recommended for kids of a certain age or not. (So that they won't have to watch it themselves.) Since the site was written by the readers, it was completely useless when you wanted to find out how much violence occurs in a movie -- when parents think of "not recommended for kids", they immediately think of The Evil Sex, and never of anything else. The first Terminator movie was not recommended because of the brief, not really explicit sex scene of Sarah and Kyle. Titanic was not recommended because of Kate Winslet's breasts. (Let's forget that over a thousand people died on that ship.)

I can't find this site any more, though I found a different one, kids-in-mind.com, which is somewhat better, though their review of Titanic mentions these sexually explicit scenes: " A young man holds a 17-year-old girl close to his chest as they dance. A young man wraps his arms around a 17-year-old girl's waist, holding her hands. A young man kisses a 17-year-old girl's hand. A man kisses another man on the cheek in celebration. A young man kisses a 17-year-old girl's hand in greeting."
April 03, 2016
the noodler
The Last Unicorn was also adapted very well from Beagle's book.
I'm so glad Beagle had control of the script so the film stayed very accurate to his book even with the compression of the story's events so the movie doesn't run too long, which could make the targeted audience, families, begin to lose interest watching.

tea princess
There was actually a website where parents could check if the movie their kids want to see is recommended for kids of a certain age or not. (So that they won't have to watch it themselves.) Since the site was written by the readers, it was completely useless when you wanted to find out how much violence occurs in a movie -- when parents think of "not recommended for kids", they immediately think of The Evil Sex, and never of anything else. The first Terminator movie was not recommended because of the brief, not really explicit sex scene of Sarah and Kyle. Titanic was not recommended because of Kate Winslet's breasts. (Let's forget that over a thousand people died on that ship.)
Oh! I remember that site! I think the last time I browsed it out of curiosity was 2005 or 2006. I have no idea what the site was called.
April 04, 2016
Hell, IMDB contains a thingy on each movie's individual page about whether it's suitable for children, listing off individual potentially-offensive events and themes, similar to what tea princess listed about Titanic. It's reeeeeeally easy to find out info like this nowadays. Or just stream the movie yourself and skim through it. Moms don't want to bother, and they feel that certain themes "belong" to children and should not be made into adult movies.
April 05, 2016
randomcfchick
Hell, IMDB contains a thingy on each movie's individual page about whether it's suitable for children, listing off individual potentially-offensive events and themes, similar to what tea princess listed about Titanic. It's reeeeeeally easy to find out info like this nowadays. Or just stream the movie yourself and skim through it. Moms don't want to bother, and they feel that certain themes "belong" to children and should not be made into adult movies.

That kinda stupid is gonna lead ta lifetime butthurt!

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
April 27, 2016
Watership Down is to get a whole new adaptation. I just love how it is described

LINK

Netflix and the BBC are teaming up to ensure that no generation of children goes without the character-building experience of waking up screaming at the thought of being messily devoured by rabbits, or drowned in pastoral fields of blood.

Hopefully this version will contain an explicit warning aimed at parents, though I am kinda looking forward to a whole new group of aggrieved moos eye rolling smiley
April 27, 2016
I saw it when it first came out. I was fine. I was more traumatized by Miyazaki films... AS AN ADULT. You want some heart wrenching shit? That is seriously disturbing.
I heard they did a re-make of Watership Down that was less violent than the original... and I wager the moos low about that one too, because if it's not violent, it's still about a bunch of rabbit who want to get laid.

Oh... You didn't know that? Sorry Snotleigh, but the whole damn film is about a bunch of horny male bunnies who need to get laid (after they find a new home). You know that is going to happen at some point. "Mummy. Why do they need does? What's a doe? Why are the girl bunnies treated like property mummy?"

... and I will laugh my butt off when it happens.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login