Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Interesting article about population development

Posted by mrs. chinaski 
Interesting article about population development
April 26, 2016
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-04-25/total-game-changer-over-population-de-population

Strangely, the world is suffering from two seemingly opposite trends...overpopulation and depopulation in concert.
The overpopulation is due to the increased longevity of elderly lifespans vs. depopulation of young populations due
to collapsing birthrates. The depopulation is among most under 25yr old populations (except Africa)
and among many under 45yr old populations.

So, the old are living decades longer than a generation ago but their adult children are having far fewer children.
The economics of this is a complete game changer and is unlike any time previously in the history of mankind.
None of the models ever accounted for a shrinking young population absent income, savings, or job opportunity vs. massive growth in the old with a vast majority reliant on government programs in their generally underfunded retirements (apart from a minority of retirees who are wildly "overfunded"). There are literally hundreds of reasons for the longer lifespans and lower birthrates...but that's for another day.
This is simply a look at what is and what is likely to be absent a goal-seeked happy ending.
etc.
Re: Interesting article about population development
April 26, 2016
I was thinking about this the other day. Maybe once you reach "old age" whatever that is, then you may live a bit longer than the last generation. But I know many too many who have died young just in the past couple of years. My parent's generation of friends and relatives are all living to late old age but my generation and the younger one, seems have been dropping off quite young. Last year we lost 30 and 52 year old women and a 59 year old man. Even my friends KIDs are dying, the grandparents are burying them. It seems more natural to me that people would live at least to their seventies and the hearty ones longer but something is skewed when the elderly sick and frail are kept going with low quality of life, and younger people are dying from diseases like cancer and heart disease.

I think it will become more difficult to keep the elderly sick going and many resources will have to go to keeping the younger population healthy (or at least alive), many with obesity related chronic disease like diabetes and COPD. I'm not sure what will happen with all the tards that are being born, but they cost a lot of health care dollars and of course produce nothing. All around it doesn't look good.
April 26, 2016
blondie

I think it will become more difficult to keep the elderly sick going and many resources will have to go to keeping the younger population healthy (or at least alive), many with obesity related chronic disease like diabetes and COPD. I'm not sure what will happen with all the tards that are being born, but they cost a lot of health care dollars and of course produce nothing. All around it doesn't look good.

Well we are headed to 10.5 billion people on the planet by mid century. It's going to get pretty ugly when the shit hits the fan. And I don't see that time as being too far off. I envision this within our lifetime. The elderly are going to be very disappointed that the new worker bees won't be voting for enormous tax hikes so they can collect their social security and Medicare. The young people are going to be very disappointed in the cost of consumer goods and homes, in relation to their ever declining wages. The disabled... right or wrong, we're just not going to be in a position to spend $billions on them.

This has little to do with ethics or morality. It's a math problem with "solutions" that are unappealing for virtually everyone, sans maybe the extremely wealthy.
April 27, 2016

@ blondie: my generation and the younger one, seems have been dropping off quite young

I see the same thing here. There are 70+ people, a lot of them are OK, some of them have health
issues (f.e. mobility - in need of hip replacement etc.). On the other side - young people with cancer, dying
in accidents, suicide..

I find the analysis interesting -
one one side: a lot of old people who cannot afford to retire
on the other side: young people in low-income jobs/ underemployed / unemployed
The world will be like one giant slum.

@ Studio54: The elderly are going to be very disappointed that the new worker bees won't be voting for enormous tax hikes so they can collect their social security and Medicare.

Good that you mention it.
GER:
"Germany Finance Minister Wolfgang Schaeuble faced criticism from within the government on Thursday over his proposal to further extend Germany‘s retirement age of 65 due to the country‘s higher life expectancy.
The youth organization of Schaeuble‘s Christian Democratic Union and its Christian Social Union sister party voiced its support for a further increase and proposed for retirement in Germany to be gradually extended to 70 by 2030, according to a Rheinische Post report.
Schaeuble said the country is facing a bitter struggle over potential explosive costs of its health system and argued it was necessary to "prepare for a demographic development" in order to stabilize the social security system.
April 27, 2016

The youth organization of Schaeuble‘s Christian Democratic Union and its Christian Social Union sister party voiced its support for a further increase and proposed for retirement in Germany to be gradually extended to 70 by 2030

Then they won't have the right to complain that the older people won't retire and free up jobs for them, but they probably will anyway.
April 27, 2016
And some of us baby boomers want to die to escape the pain and indignity. The same fuckwits trying to stop abortion are trying to stop voluntary euthanasia.
"And some of us baby boomers want to die to escape the pain and indignity. The same fuckwits trying to stop abortion are trying to stop voluntary euthanasia."

Isn't that the damn truth angry smiley
April 28, 2016
khan
And some of us baby boomers want to die to escape the pain and indignity. The same fuckwits trying to stop abortion are trying to stop voluntary euthanasia.

Yeah, ending up strapped in a wheelchair, babbling nonsense and shitting myself has no appeal. I'd rather go out quickly and painlessly while I still have my dignity.
April 28, 2016
Population development may partially explain how thrilled I am to be over the age of 26.
"Population development may partially explain how thrilled I am to be over the age of 26."

Is this for real?! I mean, not an Onion article? eye popping smiley I'm thrilled too
April 29, 2016
freya
Population development may partially explain how thrilled I am to be over the age of 26.

Wow. I can't believe I haven't seen this in any news outlet. Holy shit. Well, less for the MRA types to bitch about with regard to women being treated equally. And Israel I believe also requires compulsory service.
April 29, 2016
StudioFiftyFour
The elderly are going to be very disappointed that the new worker bees won't be voting for enormous tax hikes so they can collect their social security and Medicare.

I wouldn't worry about that. The SSA seems to be quietly making changes in the background; one of which Obama signed last year; to try and keep that crippled system going for a while longer

Restricted application

The average monthly payment to those collecting SS is ~$1300, of which ~$105 is automatically taken out for Medicare B at 65 (Part A is automatic and free). For those thinking "nah, I'm healthy. I want to hold off on Medicare until I really need it, I don't want to start paying that out of my check yet," you pay a penalty for signing up later. And that system doesn't cover drugs, which is really the sustaining drain on elderly finances. You have to sign up for an HMO or PPO driven system to be covered, or Medicare Part D, which means more out of pocket since there are premiums and deductibles to be paid.

I don't know where people are getting this idea that collecting SS and having Medicare leads to a life of comfort for the seniors, because it doesn't. They haven't even received measurable COLA raises since the 80s. If the people now eligible for SS (the largest group ever, since they are Boomers) haven't put aside additional funds to live on, they have guaranteed themselves a life of bare subsistence.

And for those of us who have been saving all our working years (Dh and I raise our hands), the dire economic fluctuations of the last two decades have made an impact on our expected retirement income.

If the younger people actually want to influence changes, or keep the older folks from collecting this alleged huge boolah, then they really need to get their asses out there on election day and vote

LINK

Some 61 percent of citizens age 65 and older voted in the November 2010 election, the best turnout of any age group. More than half (54 percent) of those ages 55 to 64 also cast a ballot. People under age 45 are much less likely to vote. Just 37 percent of 25- to 44-year-olds made it to the polls in November 2010. And not even a quarter (21 percent) of the youngest citizens—ages 18 to 24—entered a voting booth in 2010.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login