Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Taiwan's new president criticised as crazy cat lady in Chinese media

Posted by yurble 
Taiwan's new president criticised as crazy cat lady in Chinese media
May 27, 2016
Yet again, gender-based family status sexism rears its head. Tawain's new female president, Tsai Ing-wen, is an unmarried academic (law degree from Cornell and PhD from LSE) with no children. She loves her two cats and supports gay rights.

A member of China's organisation overseeing relations with Taiwan called her "emotional" and says she practices "extreme" politics because of her family status:

From a humanistic perspective, as a single female politician, [Tsai] doesn’t bear the burdens of emotional love, family constraints, or child rearing. She is leaning toward an emotional, personal, and extreme development of her political behavior and strategies. As for political maneuvering, she thinks less in strategic directions but more in tactical details. She is extreme in achieving short-term goals, but takes less account of long-term ones.

No particular link, this news story is easy to find.
That's a very ugly head...

Yep
"burdens of family constraints or child rearing" grinning smiley
Re: Taiwan's new president criticised as crazy cat lady in Chinese media
May 27, 2016
mrs. chinaski
"burdens of family constraints or child rearing" grinning smiley

Another translation I read put it as: "As a single female politician, she has no emotional encumbrances of love, no family restraint, no children to worry about."

So, burden or encumbrance...more true than they would like! Quite a few people are speaking out against the sexism.

If the tables were turned and Ms Tsai was a man, she would be celebrated for being single. This is typical discriminatory behaviour but it still disgusts me.

What does her private life have to do with the way she governs Taiwan? Taiwanese celebrate her and her strong achievements and I doubt they will care as much about who she decides to date, such trivial writing and opinions expressed in this report.

More:

It is discrimination against women and being single. Putin divorced during his presidency. Has Russia’s strategy changed since?
It disgusts me as well.

I very often read comments about Dr. Merkel - how she is short-orientated
because she has no chyyyyyyyyld. confused smiley eye rolling smiley

Politics is a profession, therefore criticism should be aimed at professional achievements only.
But breeders and Red Pillers have hard time to understand it.
Being emotional is not necessarily a bad thing, lacking the ability to empathize is a trademark of anti social personality disorder, if my memory of ab psych is correct. I wouldn't get too offended by them, obviously, if they have to attack her personal life, they are too stupid to attack her in the political sphere. Citizens need not heed the opinions of people too stupid to attack politicians in the political sphere.

Lock him up or put him down.
Stolen from Shiny.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login