Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Had my Tubes Tied Yesterday

Posted by bop 
Had my Tubes Tied Yesterday
July 20, 2016
Yesterday I had a laparoscopic tubal ligation. It was done with a single incision through my navel, under general anesthesia.

It was the first time I've had surgery of any type, so the whole thing was a little intimidating. Yes I was and still am sore, but I was up and moving around and eating by yesterday evening, and I'm doing light housework this morning. It certainly could be worse.

The most difficult experience of all of this for me was convincing everyone that this procedure is covered in full under the Affordable Care Act. Neither my doctor, nor her receptionists, not the hospital financial adviser, nor my insurance company knew anything about the Women's Health Mandate! I finally got an adviser at the insurance company to look at the Healthcare.gov website (I had to give her the URL and everything), and after a long pause, she agreed with me! She then called the hospital billing dept. and my doctor's office and set them straight! It ended with me paying only $135 for the pre-op tests which may or may not be refunded to me, but I'm not holding my breath.

A tip: If you are a woman and want to take advantage of the Women's Health Care mandate under Obamacare, be prepared to fight for it.
Re: Had my Tubes Tied Yesterday
July 20, 2016
Congratulations, Bop! I'm so glad that they cleared it all up for you and you finally had it done! smileys with beer
July 20, 2016
Congrats!!! grinning smiley

Why live in a fishbowl, when you could be swimming in the ocean?

"She, and all other rabid breeders, are like crabs in a bucket headed to Red Lobster. When they see a smarter crab escaping, they try to pull it back in." - Miss Hannigan

"Yeah, that's what family is about - guilt tripping people into cleaning up someone else's mess." - mrs. chinaski

(Shameless blog promotion: http://popcornculturejunkie.wordpress.com/)

(Cornucopia of visual rantage: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCD78oSD27mzAlVzsB0q2ibA)
July 20, 2016
Thanks! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
It's all worth it! lol
July 20, 2016
bop
Thanks! spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
It's all worth it! lol
grinning smiley

Congratulations! The struggle to convince the "professionals" doesn't surprise me in the least.
July 20, 2016
You are doing so well because it was a surgery you WANTED. Shoulda seen me after my hysterectomy. Heard horror stories ... mostly from women who felt 'oooohhhh my womanhood is over' or 'I'll be an empty shell'
Me? YIPPEEEE! No more worries about pignasty! No more nasty periods!! (even had a pad burning party with a couple girlfriends) I am FREEEEE! Healed up fast with no regrets and no fear of not 'being a worman' anymore. I am allll woman... even 23 years later.

Three cheers for 'voluntary sterilization' and the doctors willing to do it for the CF. (and others... but mostly for the CF)
July 20, 2016
Congratulations!
July 20, 2016
Yayyyyy congrats
July 22, 2016
That's great that you got it for a cheap price. My dad's health insurance at the time did not want to pay for a tubal or birth control for my mom. My mom had to pay out of pocket over a grand for her tubal in 1997. Women's contraceptives covered under health insurance have came a way since the 90's.

Edit: It's only logical that health insurance covers it for free, so that they don't have to pay for another person. Way cheaper in the long run.
July 22, 2016
Great! Congratulations!
But still, it's sad that you had to fight so hard for something you're entitled to by law.
July 22, 2016
shy lurker
Edit: It's only logical that health insurance covers it for free, so that they don't have to pay for another person. Way cheaper in the long run.

I normally don't advocate on the basis of it being free (but who are we fooling, insurance itself has a monthly premium and co-pays), but in the case of prevention I do advocate. Birth control is only going to save money in the long run.

For any kind of infertility though, no insurance coverage! If they can't pay for the treatment how are they going to afford any side-affect parasites?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login