Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New Addition.....continues... The Gift Grab

Posted by starlady 
New Addition.....continues... The Gift Grab
August 13, 2016
Okay... as you remember... the Nephew and Harpitina will be having their Gift-o-mania grab (shower) this coming Sunday. As you will also remember... there were 212 evites to this thing sent out on the interwebs. Well, apparently, those who did not answer yet received their last reminder yesterday. I did not get one as I have said 'NO' twice. My dh got one. Apparently they sent the invites to multiple emails within famblies and he, just yesterday, opened his.

He reads to me "NINE people have replied positively and will be attending (Nephew and Harpitina's) shower on Sunday Aug 14th."

I said "NINE? ONLY NINE out of 212????" Then I laughed.

Ofcourse you know there will be gifts sent to Harpo's mother to take to the shower...but... ONLY NINE PEOPLE said YES?? Actually I don't think they care who is there as long as the gifts show up.

Next week when dh makes his weekly call to Nephew... I will have more details.
Re: New Addition.....continues... The Gift Grab
August 13, 2016
starlady
Okay... as you remember... the Nephew and Harpitina will be having their Gift-o-mania grab (shower) this coming Sunday. As you will also remember... there were 212 evites to this thing sent out on the interwebs. Well, apparently, those who did not answer yet received their last reminder yesterday. I did not get one as I have said 'NO' twice. My dh got one. Apparently they sent the invites to multiple emails within famblies and he, just yesterday, opened his.

He reads to me "NINE people have replied positively and will be attending (Nephew and Harpitina's) shower on Sunday Aug 14th."

I said "NINE? ONLY NINE out of 212????" Then I laughed.

Of Course you know there will be gifts sent to Harpo's mother to take to the shower...but... ONLY NINE PEOPLE said YES?? Actually I don't think they care who is there as long as the gifts show up.

Next week when dh makes his weekly call to Nephew... I will have more details.

Having this type of an event for 212 people is the very definition of a gift grab. Something like this should be for the closest friends and relatives, and no one is close to 212 people. It's not surprising that a low turnover was the result.

There are also larger factors in play here...

1. The economy isn't great. The recovery has been quite sluggish; many people are unemployed, underemployed, and some have flat out given up looking for work.

2. Many folks, particularly those in the CF community, have figured out the consequences of being generous. They know that their generosity will only result in them being asked for more, and more, and more as the child grows up. And the events that they'll be invited to will time and again feature the expectation of bringing a gift for the child.

3. With #2 in mind, seeing the material demands of children and parents, they don't want to step into that minefield. Today's expectations inevitably grow into expensive electronics, computers, smart phones, etc. etc. A crisp $20 bill in a birthday card isn't going to be met with gratitude by the time the kids are in their "tween" years. They want an iPhone and designer clothes and shoes.
August 13, 2016
Sounds like the gift grab was a major fail. If these two louts are too lazy to keep up with their house and obligations in general, I'm guessing they are probably bad friends with no concept of reciprocation. The other 200 people on the e-vite are probably thinking, "WTF, I barely know these people," or "I didn't get a thank you note for the wedding gift and now there's a baby shower?"

Keep us posted. I'm guessing the weekly call will be a whine fest and thinly-disguised begging call. You know these two idiots probably don't have a dime saved and now she's out of work, right? Hey, if she's on bed rest, why is she even having a shower?
August 13, 2016
She's not on bed rest.. yet. Her hours are cut to 4 hours a day till September and then she has been told to take leave and stay off her feet as much as possible. So that's where that issue stands for the moment.

Yep.. I was thinking when I read some of the names on the list.. 'Who ARE these people?' I don 't have 200 close friends I would send a shower invite to.
August 13, 2016
The only point of inviting 200+ people to a baby shower is a gift grab.

A rule of thumb for big church weddings is that the practical limit for invitations is around 200 people. How that many people would have fared in somebody's house or some other small venue for a baby shower is something I don't want to imagine.
August 13, 2016
Outside of relatives, I don't know 50 people close enough to invite to a party! Was she including doctors, dentists, hairdresses, mailmen, all her mother's friends, work acquaintances (let's pretend she had a job more upscale than a gas station) neighbors, Facebook friends from grade school, etc? I hope 5 of the 9 don't even show up.

--------------------
"[GFG's pregnancy is] kind of like at the stables where that one dumb, ugly-ass mare broke out of her corral one day and got herself screwed by the equally fugly colt that was due to be gelded the same afternoon."- Shiny
August 13, 2016
well... they each have over 1000 friends on FB. They'll 'friend' anybody who will listen to their drivel.
August 14, 2016
I was checking out the e-vite again last night to see if anyone else had responded. Nope... still only 9 people attending.

Oh I am so glad that dh has seen the light and the 'gift grabbing' tenancies of' Nephew and Harpitina.' This morning I was explaining to him about how they did the invites. (I figured it out) Instead of ONE invite per family... they sent individual invites to all the email addresses in the family. For example: Say they invite Aunt Millie and Uncle Bob and their 4 kids (ages 10, 14, 16 and 18) Instead of one invite to Aunt Millie.. they send invites to Aunt Millie, Uncle Bob and all the kids individually in that family. I told Dh that in that way, they think that EACH member of that household owes them a gift.

So now dh calls them "The 'Nephew and Harpitina Foundation' (he inserted their real names ofcourse) Instead of one gift from a household they apparently expect multiple gifts from every member of that household. THAT is how they got up to 212 people on that guest list.

Is this what these moos-to-be are doing these days.... or is this just my crazy realitives (by marriage thank goodness)?
August 14, 2016
LOL it sounds like a PBS pitch: "Support for this gift grab was made possible by a generous grant for the Harpitina Foundation and suckers like you."

--------------------
"[GFG's pregnancy is] kind of like at the stables where that one dumb, ugly-ass mare broke out of her corral one day and got herself screwed by the equally fugly colt that was due to be gelded the same afternoon."- Shiny
August 14, 2016
Miss_Hannigan
LOL it sounds like a PBS pitch: "Support for this gift grab was made possible by a generous grant for the Harpitina Foundation and suckers like you."

spinning smiley sticking its tongue out
August 14, 2016
Miss_Hannigan

Yea, but at least with a $40 individual PBS/Public Radio/TV membership you get all kinds of goodies, like for our local station, passes to the local Amusement Park (Knoebels. Place rocks!) as well as a free gift, free ski days, etc.

(Source: DH works in the industry. And he is woefully underpaid. Please support your local public radio television station.)

ETA: How much does anyone want to bet that Harpatina does not send out ONE SINGLE THANK YOU NOTE?
August 15, 2016
If breeders are going to have these gift grabs why don't they ask for things like laundry detergent and cleaning products (and soap and nonperishable food)? Or do they just expect the kids to bring their dirty clothes to school with them?
August 15, 2016
Well, she never sent us a thank you for that dresser we bought. Guess she doesn't consider that a 'baybee gift' or something.....even though she put it in the baybeee room and is going to use it as a changing table. That pretty well does make it a 'baybee gift' in my opinion. Maybe it didn't have a bow on it but... it's still a gift.
August 15, 2016
Gift them a large box of condoms lol
August 15, 2016
If she complains about the lack of gifts compared to the number of invites you should remind her that invite does not mean invoice. Can't wait for next week's update.
August 17, 2016
Hey I love it. Serial installments. Interesting to see how long this goes on.

two cents ΒΆΒΆ

CERTIFIED HOSEHEAD!!!

people (especially women) do not give ONE DAMN about what they inflict on children and I defy anyone to prove me wrong

Dysfunctional relationships almost always have a child. The more dysfunctional, the more children.

The selfish wants of adults outweigh the needs of the child.

Some mistakes cannot be fixed, but some mistakes can be 'fixed'.

People who say they sleep like a baby usually don't have one. Leo J. Burke

Adoption agencies have strict criteria (usually). Breeders, whose combined IQ's would barely hit triple digits, have none.
August 17, 2016
Ya can't make this stuff up. It's a train wreck and I am sitting on the edge of my seat as much as anyone.

Haven't heard anything new so far this week.
August 17, 2016
Call me old fashioned ... I'm really not a fan of the virtual invitation trend.

I have two nieces with weddings performed or yet-to-be in the last few years. First niece: invitation over Facebook. And this was to a fairly elaborate shindig. Second niece: invitation sent on paper; modest card, non-frou-frou script and announcement. Also enclosed a stamped, return addressed, RSVP and envelope.

Guess who impressed me more? In fact, guess which wedding I actually remembered to deal with?

First niece, I kept having to ask her mother "so, when is your kid getting married? I really need to write that date down somewhere."

Second niece, the invite is tacked to the Upcoming Events (bills, doctor/vet appointments, invitations) side of my bulletin board.

If someone wants me to come to their event or send a present, they need to be rilly-rilly special, or dazzle me a bit. I'm not going to be that attentive to a half-ass invite.
August 18, 2016
I don't mind the virtual invites for things like summer BBQ's and casual parties...but for a wedding? That screams low class.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________
"Not every ejaculation deserves a name" - George Carlin
August 22, 2016
Must. Have. Update.
It was today, the gift grab, right?
Details, starlady.
August 22, 2016
Gift grab was last Sunday. Dh has not heard a word out of them in almost 2 weeks now. Harpitina is probably holding another 'grudge' that we did not show up or send a gift (and she probably would have prefered the latter) So, I have no idea what happened at the 'grab'. I even checked her FB for possible pics....NOTHING.

Waiting for the next installment...just like the rest of you.
August 22, 2016
We all want to know: Did Harpitina receive a big box of condoms?!?
August 22, 2016
I threatened to send one... along with one of those cards that wont' stop crying....but.... dh wanted to 'keep the peace' and 'not rock the boat' Well.. at least he's not forcing me to invite it to the house and hold the shit sack... yet.
August 22, 2016
starlady
Gift grab was last Sunday. Dh has not heard a word out of them in almost 2 weeks now. Harpitina is probably holding another 'grudge' that we did not show up or send a gift (and she probably would have prefered the latter) So, I have no idea what happened at the 'grab'. I even checked her FB for possible pics....NOTHING.

Waiting for the next installment...just like the rest of you.

She knows her entitlement was epic so now she's avoiding everyone so as not to talk about it because she knows that the first thing someone will say is.... Told you so. The lack of FB pics is especially telling. Hard to attention whore when there nothing to AW about.

And I'd bet turn out was in the single digits because of her shameful gift grubbing. People are wising up to this behavior and even grandmas reddit these days and read of other moozillas. Or in H's case.... Moochzilla.

Ah. The backlash. Its coming. Smells like.... Schadenfreude.
August 23, 2016
I asked dh last night if he had talked to 'the boy' lately. He said "No, he's keeping a low profile" (he usually talks to him once or twice a week but hasn't heard from him now for over 2) So.. was nephew trying to schmooze up to us BEFORE the shower? Ahhh... another angle to this gift grab part of the saga.

I will let you know when the next issue rears it's head. Loaf dropping date is about 6 weeks away now.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login