Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

My niece, on Facebook, writes ....

Posted by Dorisan 
My niece, on Facebook, writes ....
August 27, 2016
......in response to a meme she posted about the current state of education:

"Thats one reason i want home school my kids. They prepare them to take tests not how to be an adult."

That is a copy/paste of her comment.

I am sorely tempted to reply "I'm sure you'll be successful in that venture," just to see if she recognizes the snark.
Re: My niece, on Facebook, writes ....
August 27, 2016
I'd be sorely tempted to take out the stylus from my cell phone and circle all the errors in that in red. Is your niece stupid or just lazy?
August 27, 2016
But if she home-schools, she won't have a "flawed education system" and "lazy, overpaid teachers" to blame when her kids don't wind up as prodigies.
August 27, 2016
unfortunately, like at least one Mom I know, she will not reap the "rewards" till it is WAY too late! It's actually sad, sad to see these people facing the music when they have to (sometimes) even admit they screwed up. There was no use at ALL trying to tell them. They just would have invoked the "you don't know--you are not a parrunnnt" excuse.
August 27, 2016
Or she can put in a little effort and research the local public school systems. They have the class catalogs online now.

When I was in school, we had to take the actual US citizenship test in 8th grade Civics (that was the only test we took in class; if you passed the first time, you got to chill in the library the next times the test was taken), where we also learned how to do taxes (the manual, pen-to-paper way). We learned how to write checks, balance a checkbook, rent an apartment, fill out the FASFA, and other life skills in 8th grade Home-Ec. And high school was filled with "How To Adult Like An Adult" lessons.

------------------------------------------------------------
"Why children take so long to grow? They eat and drink like pig and give nothing back. Must find way to accelerate process..."
- Dr. Yi Suchong, Bioshock

"Society does not need more children; but it does need more loved children. Quite literally, we cannot afford unloved children - but we pay heavily for them every day. There should not be the slightest communal concern when a woman elects to destroy the life of her thousandth-of-an-ounce embryo. But all society should rise up in alarm when it hears that a baby that is not wanted is about to be born."
- Garrett Hardin

"I feel like there's a message involved here somehow, but then I couldn't stop laughing at all the plotholes, like the part when North Korea has food."
- Youtube commentor referring to a North Korean cartoon.

"Reality is a bitch when it slowly crawls out of your vagina and shits in your lap."
- Reddit comment

"Bitch wants a baby, so we're gonna fuck now. #bareback"
- Cambion

Oh whatever. Abortion doctors are crimestoppers."
- Miss Hannigan
August 27, 2016
the noodler
I'd be sorely tempted to take out the stylus from my cell phone and circle all the errors in that in red. Is your niece stupid or just lazy?

Well, I'd be hard-pressed to think of anything complimentary to say about her.

Her father (my brother) worked himself into a state of premature aging, just to assure her a decent future, but she threw it away on a feckless husband. He is third generation welfare dependent, works a minimum wage retail job to pay for his pot habit, and feels entitled to public assistance to support Niece and the two kids (first one an "oops," second one "planned," according to my simpering niece). Niece thinks highly of herself, being A Mother - as if that is a holy calling.

My family tree has more weak branches than strong ones; the path my Niece chose and the future she has assured her children isn't unusual; I just hate to see my brother so worn down and depressed over his useless kid.
August 27, 2016
@Dorsian

If he is using drugs you should call the cops. Things might be better for moo if he went to jail. Would serve him right imo

Lock him up or put him down.
Stolen from Shiny.
August 27, 2016
I think I've mentioned before that my CF sister taught dance for many years. She, and eventually her teenaged assistant teacher, could tell the homeschooled kids right away because they had ZERO social skills. Of all her homeschooled students only two were actually well schooled, but they absolutely could not make friends among the other kids. They were just too socially stunted.
August 28, 2016
Cambion
But if she home-schools, she won't have a "flawed education system" and "lazy, overpaid teachers" to blame when her kids don't wind up as prodigies.

It's funny how people who don't read, don't study, and have no intellectual curiosity, somehow by random chance simply ended up in a "failing school." eye rolling smiley

If you take no responsibility over your own education, you shouldn't expect to learn a goddamn thing. And you have no right to be angry at age 40 when you're still working at a dead-end job.

It's like buying a gym membership, never actually working out, and blaming the treadmill and weights for not burning the calories for you.
August 28, 2016
I once worked in an HR department where we tested people for civil service positions. One of our job duties was to read tests aloud to people who, for whatever reason, couldn't read for themselves. I had to do it once, and I was sympathetic to the applicant who was bemoaning not being able to read (at this point I didn't know if she had a disability of some kind or what) right up until the point where she shrugged and said, "Oh, well. What are you going to do?"

And I thought, "Um, learn to read?" I didn't say it out loud, obviously, but she lost my sympathy at that point. Dyslexia or sight problems, okay. Not wanting to go to the effort of learning, then fuck you.
August 28, 2016
kittehpeoples
I once worked in an HR department where we tested people for civil service positions. One of our job duties was to read tests aloud to people who, for whatever reason, couldn't read for themselves. I had to do it once, and I was sympathetic to the applicant who was bemoaning not being able to read (at this point I didn't know if she had a disability of some kind or what) right up until the point where she shrugged and said, "Oh, well. What are you going to do?"

And I thought, "Um, learn to read?" I didn't say it out loud, obviously, but she lost my sympathy at that point. Dyslexia or sight problems, okay. Not wanting to go to the effort of learning, then fuck you.

Probably got a cushy job at the DMV out of the exam.
August 28, 2016
the noodler
kittehpeoples

Probably got a cushy job at the DMV out of the exam.

Better than that. It was for employment with a university. I never found out if she got hired.
August 29, 2016
kittehpeoples

Not being able to read would prevent you from performing most jobs, I hope that wasn't the case here. I also worked in the public sector at one point and we had to interview a certain number of candidates with disabilities. It was a waste of everyone's time (and probably not good for their self-esteem) when their disability made them incapable of performing the job duties. But the worst was a person who said "I won't do that" when asked about acquiring the skills she lacked, for tasks which were explicitly listed in the job advertisement. She seemed to think she could choose the parts of the job that she wanted to do and not bother with the rest.
August 29, 2016
yurble
Not being able to read would prevent you from performing most jobs, I hope that wasn't the case here. I also worked in the public sector at one point and we had to interview a certain number of candidates with disabilities. It was a waste of everyone's time (and probably not good for their self-esteem) when their disability made them incapable of performing the job duties. But the worst was a person who said "I won't do that" when asked about acquiring the skills she lacked, for tasks which were explicitly listed in the job advertisement. She seemed to think she could choose the parts of the job that she wanted to do and not bother with the rest.

Yeah, it's one thing to be unable to perform a task, and quite another to refuse to do it.

If I could have chosen my job duties over the years, work would have been a lot more fun!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login