Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Obese kyds on FB friends posts.

Posted by doomflower 
Obese kyds on FB friends posts.
September 25, 2016
OK, so I have plenty of friends my own age who decided to begin having families at around age 40. Whatever suits them, y'know?

A lot of them have been really considerate with the pictures, too, not posting a zillion pictures a day. So I'm thankful for that. I don't mind seeing them every once in a while to see how they're doing, just not several times a day.

There's a trend I've noticed with more than one of these friends. They tend to love their kid with offerings of food. I first noticed their kids looking kind of pudgy around 5 years of age...lots of posts of ice cream snacks, etc. Now, these kids are very obviously obese. One of the proud parents posted the 'weird salad' his daughter made, basically garbanzo beans smothered in ranch dressing. If I had made something like that at the salad bar, my mother wouldn't have allowed me to eat it, because it isn't cute.

Do you think there's any good way to tell these people, "Excuse me, Traylenn is getting to be a bit on the round side. You might want to help him/her with portion control." These days, that's considered 'hating on parents', you know? It's like...we don't know anything, because we aren't *them*. But they're not doing a damn thing to stop a serious health issue from developing. It feels like a Catch-22, sometimes.

dinner plate
Re: Obese kyds on FB friends posts.
September 25, 2016
Not my circus, not my monkeys...
At least, that's how I'd view it. Let their pediatrician inform them that they're making butterballs of their kids.
September 25, 2016
doomflower
OK, so I have plenty of friends my own age who decided to begin having families at around age 40. Whatever suits them, y'know?

A lot of them have been really considerate with the pictures, too, not posting a zillion pictures a day. So I'm thankful for that. I don't mind seeing them every once in a while to see how they're doing, just not several times a day.

There's a trend I've noticed with more than one of these friends. They tend to love their kid with offerings of food. I first noticed their kids looking kind of pudgy around 5 years of age...lots of posts of ice cream snacks, etc. Now, these kids are very obviously obese. One of the proud parents posted the 'weird salad' his daughter made, basically garbanzo beans smothered in ranch dressing. If I had made something like that at the salad bar, my mother wouldn't have allowed me to eat it, because it isn't cute.

Do you think there's any good way to tell these people, "Excuse me, Traylenn is getting to be a bit on the round side. You might want to help him/her with portion control." These days, that's considered 'hating on parents', you know? It's like...we don't know anything, because we aren't *them*. But they're not doing a damn thing to stop a serious health issue from developing. It feels like a Catch-22, sometimes.

dinner plate

There is a widespread proliferation of junkfood across this country. Answer me this question: What store, in the United States, does not sell junkfood? Food stores and supermarkets of any kind carry it en masse, as do drugstores. Auto parts stores? Yep. Big Box electronics stores? They've got a big setup right by the register. Walmart/Target? They've got at least one aisle dedicated to it. Department stores? They've got candy bars by the register, too. Car dealerships? Plenty of vending machines for the customers waiting for their cars to be serviced.

Outside of boutique shoppes and stores that specifically sell health food, pretty much every retail outlet offers some form of junk food for sale, either at the register, in an aisle, or in a vending machine somewhere on the premises.

This proliferation of bad food has created a subliminal expectation among adults that they should be snacking all of the time. This isn't good.

And what's good for adults is good for children, right?

Well, running parallel with this is the concept that the best way to deal with children's behavior is ... (((drumroll))) ... constant snacking! Bringing a plastic bag of sugary cereal, candy, crackers, whatever... that seems to be prevalent everywhere. I see them snacking all. the. time. In the supermarket, in church, in the park, in restaurants for crying out loud. That's right. I am befuddled as to why they can't sit still for 10 minutes to wait for their food?

How many times have you heard, "Junior is quietly fussing again... give him some Fruit Loops out of the baggie..." eye rolling smiley

The concept of three balanced meals per day has gone out the window. Sugar and carbs pepper the daily routines of too many people.
September 25, 2016
doomflower

I'd be curious to know how those children turn out. If they end up being self-sufficient, great.

If they're "boomeranging" back to the nest after completing college 20 years from now, your buddies will be 60+, wanting to retire, and yet having to deal with failure-to-launch adult children.

Yet another reason why children are not in my future...
September 25, 2016
StudioFiftyFour
If they're "boomeranging" back to the nest after completing college 20 years from now, your buddies will be 60+, wanting to retire, and yet having to deal with failure-to-launch adult children.

Yet another reason why children are not in my future...
Parents wanting kids for the purpose of having someone look after them when they're old probably like the idea of their kids moving in with them after finishing college.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login