Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Serious Question---How do all these public breastfeeding stories make the news?

Posted by cfinboston 
So, People Magazine has a story today that is exactly like about 400 other public breastfeeding stories.

1.Moo is feeding kid in some public venue. (In this case a Piggly Wiggly.

2.Moo is asked by an authority figure to cover up.

3. Moo flips the fuck out and has an insanely over the top emotional reaction that practically gives her PTSD.

4. Moo posts on Facebook that she was doing the most natural normal beautiful incredible amazing wonderful thing and FEEDING HER CHILD and some awful ignorant evil authority figure confronted her.

5. Some mainstream media outlet was inexplicably following the FB feed of a random woman, and it's front page news.

Why? And How? I mean seriously are news editors signing up for Google alerts regarding nursing? Is "random Moo hurt feelings" actually news? I don't get how there are so many of these fucking stories with the same plot.
Probably because they want to appeal to the lowest common denominator, and also validate people who have no real accomplishments. People love ego stroking, so they will consume the media that validates their choices. Since the majority of people today are basically stupid, stuff like this sells more than other stuff.

It would be interesting to see the statistics of book sales for books considered scholarly or tough reads, compare it to the sale of things like tabloids, and compare both to the IQ rate over X years.

Lock him up or put him down.
Stolen from Shiny.
George Takei has just posted another pro public BFing video (I love him but time and again he tests my patience with this stuff...), and one woman's comment put a new twist on the whole thing:

"In Wisconsin, any part of the breast below the top of the nipple is illegal to show on the grounds that it is harmful to children. Deep cleavage, side-boob, underboob, all harmful to children. Nipples are harmful to children. But only as long as you're female. The only exception is if you're breastfeeding. Apparently my body is acceptable as long as it's being used by someone else."

I never thought of it that way... another way the female body is valued only for what it provides for others. I wonder if moos actually breastfeed boy babies longer than girl babies (the only study I found is from India where they indeed do).
tea princess
George Takei has just posted another pro public BFing video (I love him but time and again he tests my patience with this stuff...), and one woman's comment put a new twist on the whole thing:

"In Wisconsin, any part of the breast below the top of the nipple is illegal to show on the grounds that it is harmful to children. Deep cleavage, side-boob, underboob, all harmful to children. Nipples are harmful to children. But only as long as you're female. The only exception is if you're breastfeeding. Apparently my body is acceptable as long as it's being used by someone else."

I never thought of it that way... another way the female body is valued only for what it provides for others. I wonder if moos actually breastfeed boy babies longer than girl babies (the only study I found is from India where they indeed do).

That quote right there is going to be my new argument for why I dislike breastfeeding; apparently, fear of exposure to bodily fluids isn't enough for some people.
tea princess

I love George, but he kept posting waaay too many breederific posts so I unfollowed him everywhere.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Shrieking babbies are the most effective birth control on earth.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login