Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Flooded out

Posted by JohnDrake 
Flooded out
October 16, 2016
Sorry I haven't been around much lately.

On August 13, my home flooded and we barely got out. We took 3 feet of water in our home, lost all of our furniture, 2 cars, and a lot of other stuff. Right now living in a small apartment and fighting the bureaucracy to get the money to get our house repaired. All we've been doing is going to work and stuff for the house. It's been miserable.

We hope to be back home in a month or two if we can get the money from our mortgage company to pay the contractor to start the work.

Also wondering if we should sell the house after it's done or go back. We're concerned that because many of our neighbors didn't have flood coverage, they might not come back. The house next to us was gutted and sold for very little money because the daughters of the elderly lady who lived there didn't want her coming back, which I understand.

Will try to keep everyone posted on what's happening.

JD
Re: Flooded out
October 17, 2016
Flood zones suck. I'd say move. Good to hear you are safe.
Can you get a FEMA trailer while you fix up your current house? I was born the year before Hurricane Agnes whipped the shit out of northeast Pennsylvania in 1972. My mom had us 4 kids spread throughout relatives until she pulled a squeaky wheel with FEMA and we were the second family to get a trailer. It took my dad a year until we were able to move back in.

Keep us posted John!
October 17, 2016
Ugh, that's awful! I'm glad you got out safely, but I'm under the impression that houses are never the same after that kind of flood. Whatever you decide, I hope it works out as well and as quickly as possible!
October 17, 2016
Can't get a trailer, but have rent assistance. The biggest pain right now is our mortgage company. I had to turn the insurance check over to them(it was in both of our names) and have to fight to get it released. I have a contractor lined up but need money to get him started. Not sure how much more I can take. I am seeing a counselor to help with the stress. She got flooded with more water than me.

In addition, my mother passed away. Our relationship was strained, but that doesn't make it easier.

When do get a break?
October 18, 2016
JohnDrake
When do get a break?

I empathize. I've been wondering the same thing for two years now. I hope things get better for you soon!
October 18, 2016
Hopefully the money will come through and we can get the work started. I'm not great right now, but better off than most in that I have flood insurance and a place to stay and don't have kids to add to the trouble.
October 18, 2016
I'm sorry to hear this JohnDrake, glad you weren't hurt and hope everything works out well for you regarding the insurance.
October 19, 2016
It's all just so tiring. Constant running around, being on the phone with insurance companies, government offices, etc. Getting harder all the time and hoping insurance covers everything. The stress is too much and nobody cares if you're not a breeder.
October 19, 2016
hang in there. dealing with gubmint is like dealing with a conglomeration of tards with the accumulated iq of 60

two cents ΒΆΒΆ

CERTIFIED HOSEHEAD!!!

people (especially women) do not give ONE DAMN about what they inflict on children and I defy anyone to prove me wrong

Dysfunctional relationships almost always have a child. The more dysfunctional, the more children.

The selfish wants of adults outweigh the needs of the child.

Some mistakes cannot be fixed, but some mistakes can be 'fixed'.

People who say they sleep like a baby usually don't have one. Leo J. Burke

Adoption agencies have strict criteria (usually). Breeders, whose combined IQ's would barely hit triple digits, have none.
October 19, 2016
That really sucks JohnDrake, I hope things get better for you.
October 19, 2016
Glad you had insurance! Flood zones are one of our deal breakers as we househunt.

A few years ago we ignored the mandatory evacuation of our town. We live on the third floor of an old but large and sturdy brownstone built in the 1800s. At the time we had four kitties and we couldn't bear to leave them if someone broke in and left a window open.... Which was occurring from what I heard from the NG stationed on our corner. An aerial view of the river and the surrounding area which was only blocks away was really scary but the levees held.

It was kinda fun as we hung out with our cross the hall neighbors who are also multiple kitty owners. At one point the electric went off so we went on the porch and it was creepy dark. You could smell the heating oil being carried by the river and when we went on the roof we could hear the low frequency shhhhhhhhhh of the water. I have lived next to the Susquehanna my entire life and to this day I have never touched its water, at least not in our city because of its pollution.

While we sat on the porch a news crew parked on the street. Dh was in his underwear and a t-shirt so he went upstairs while I gave an interview. They put me on tv and edited my remarks to be... "It's not Armageddon.... But the crickets are nice!" Dh is still mad at himself for not going up to put on his Redskins hard hat to do an interview and use the name Rusty Shackleford.

Dh was unable to get another day off while the evac order was still in place. He had a little hassle from the NG when he walked to get his car from the 2nd floor parking structure near us. Luckily he had his press credentials so they gave him a pass.

Good times!
October 20, 2016
I'm so sorry to hear about all this. sad smiley Not only dealing with the flood, but the loss of your mother too. I just lost my mother three weeks ago, so I understand how difficult it can be. Please hang in there. Things will get better for you, but right now it must be overwhelming having to deal with all this shit at once.

Thank goodness there are no kids, because if you had to deal with that on top of all this, it would be even worse.
October 20, 2016
I am sorry to hear that. Life consists of phases and this one is definitely a shitty one.
October 20, 2016
I'm sorry for what happened to you, John. I hope things will get better.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login