Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Another Asian airline trying to create a "quiet zone"

Posted by tea princess 
Another Asian airline trying to create a "quiet zone"
October 20, 2016
I sooo hope this will be a trend that spreads to the rest of the world. Airline IndiGo did not go all the way and only created "quiet zones" (row 3 won't be "quiet" if a kid starts to scream in row 5), but at least these zones eliminate the threat of constant seat-kicking, also, this gives some hope that those zones become popular and it will eventually lead to full kidfree planes, not only in Asia but everywhere... I know it's only a dream, unfortunately European and American companies are generally scared shitless of being accused of "discrimination", and I bet parents call this discrimination (IMO it isn't).

The ethical dilemma of child-free flights

The FA who wrote this article does some ass-kissing to parents but even she admits that feral satan spawns are on the rise. Lots of comments are from people who would prefer their flights without toddlers and babies. I so hope more airlines realize that there are serious opportunities in this (even though I don't like the idea that I should pay more for some peace, and not the parents should pay more for inconveniencing others).

Bitching article on the same subject. I love how she throws a hissy fit about the declining birth rate in the UK and manages to blame an Indian airline for it grinning smiley (also, CF women, did you know that "a hostile attitude to children" is because of your "dissonance between your desire for babies and the realisation they can cost professional success"?)
Re: Another Asian airline trying to create a "quiet zone"
October 20, 2016
I say let the markets loose and let things play out for a win/win for all customers. Airlines could emerge and market based on passenger preference. We could see "adults only" airlines for those who value peace and quiet on board, a "daycare in the sky" airline for children and parents featuring kids movies and toys, and other concepts that would appeal to specific demographics and interests.
October 20, 2016
StudioFiftyFour
I say let the markets loose and let things play out for a win/win for all customers. Airlines could emerge and market based on passenger preference. We could see "adults only" airlines for those who value peace and quiet on board, a "daycare in the sky" airline for children and parents featuring kids movies and toys, and other concepts that would appeal to specific demographics and interests.

Love this idea....

It may work until some parunts decide to let their kyds fly solo and they get in trouble. Wondering how many parunts book a separate "adults only" flight thinking the airlines for the kyd flights will provide comprehensive gate to gate daycare.
October 21, 2016
freya
StudioFiftyFour

Love this idea....

It may work until some parunts decide to let their kyds fly solo and they get in trouble. Wondering how many parunts book a separate "adults only" flight thinking the airlines for the kyd flights will provide comprehensive gate to gate daycare.

This is a fantastic idea, FiftyFour. A well-enforced "no unaccompanied minors" rule would quickly quash any parent hopes for taking a separate flight.

Hell, cruise ships already cater to different social groups: famblees with kids, seniors, singles, swingers, gay/lesbian, etc.

As long as they can prove they're not price-gouging or sticking one demographic with an objectively shittier situation (mechanically unsound planes, unsafe situations, etc) I think they could fend off the "discrimination" charge.
October 21, 2016
What about passengers that are autistic, hypersensitive or prone to migraines? To them a shrieking child may cause actual physical pain and discomfort. Dont they have the right to a special accomodation like a Quiet Zone that protects their comfort and well- being?
October 21, 2016
cfinboston
What about passengers that are autistic, hypersensitive or prone to migraines? To them a shrieking child may cause actual physical pain and discomfort. Dont they have the right to a special accomodation like a Quiet Zone that protects their comfort and well- being?

There is no "right" to anything, but if the free market was unleashed in air travel, those people would at least have the option to purchase a ticket on an airline that could better accommodate their desire.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login