Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

A "good news" story about the Ft. Lauderdale shooting

Posted by bell_flower 
A "good news" story about the Ft. Lauderdale shooting
January 11, 2017
So my local news now has a "social media expert." Perfect Millenial job--let's scan Fakebook and Twatter all day and contribute to the downfall of journalism.

Anyway I heard about this story this morning. It was presented as "a positive story" in the wake of the shooting. The short version is these people were at the terminal gate when people from baggage claim came running toward them as they were running away from the shooter. The fambilee ran out on the tarmac and Sneauflake lost her teddy bear, which had been by her side for 10 years and went on all fambilee outings.

The newscaster reported that the Moo in this story actually CALLED THE POLICE looking for the bear. The police, who undoubtedly had their hands full with identifying bodies and notifying families. The police put the picture of the bear on the Twitter feed.

A few choice quotes:

Since then, Courtney had been distraught and inconsolable. She wasn't sleeping. She wouldn't eat. So much so, says her mom, that she sometimes vomited.

This child is at least 10 years old. Isn't that a bit old to go somewhere without your bear/blankie/pacifier?

It seems to me the parents lost a teaching moment: People died here, Kid, shall we have a little perspective? Yeah, they could have looked for the bear, but did we really need all these dramatics and OHMIGAWD MY SNEAUFLAKE IS FALLING APART.

And get this quote from the Moo:

But even with Rufus back where he belongs, Lariviere said she thinks it's going to be awhile before things get back to normal, if they ever will. "I don't think we're going to feel normal for a while," she said. "We are going to counseling as soon as we get home. All of us."

By all means, let's drag the kid and family through counseling so we can re-live the whole thing over and over.

Parents today are raising a nation of pussies, I swear.
Re: A "good news" story about the Ft. Lauderdale shooting
January 11, 2017
Not only raising a generation of wussies..... they are raising a generation of people who think that the world revolves around them and that all will stop to get what THEY want. (ie..the bear) The idea of 'deal with it and move on' is quickly going by the wayside.
January 11, 2017
I am thinking the bear is 10 years old. There cannot be much left of it, not mention all the cooties it has.
January 11, 2017
I'm thinking moocow saw the shooting as a way to attention whore. Who the FUCK is worried about a damn teddy bear when people have died?! Delusional, narcissistic cows apparently.

"It is better not to look like what you are; it is better to look like a bourgeois woman because then all the doors are open for you and then you can just go and make hell." - Marjane Satrapi
January 11, 2017
addiea raine
I'm thinking moocow saw the shooting as a way to attention whore. Who the FUCK is worried about a damn teddy bear when people have died?! Delusional, narcissistic cows apparently.

The proper approach would be to explain to the child that sometimes in life, events happen that are much larger than you as an individual, and sometimes your luxuries and wants must be pushed aside for the sake of the whole, and for reasons relating to common sense. We're talking about a teddy bear, not some kind of life-preserving medication.

When parents reinforce to their children that they are the only thing that matters in the world, how does that affect their development?

In my opinion, it facilitates attitudes of narcissism and entitlement. I've lived and worked among some of these kinds of people as adults and I'll tell you flat out that they are at best rude assholes, and at worst, sociopathic monsters.
January 12, 2017
I still remember this from fire safety in grade school, your material possessions are replaceable, people are not.

Isn't 10 a little too big for stuffed animals? WTF is wrong with generation Z and alpha?
January 12, 2017
Meanwhile, many people lost loved ones in the shooting. But hey, Angelcakes got her teddy back, so the world is right again! Yay! Who cares about all those victims or their grieving families. We made a child smile!
One more brat that will grow up believing the world revolves around her, and everyone will immediately drop everything to help her poor, fragile lil' self every time she breaks a nail or something.
Boy is she really going to be in for an unpleasant surprise once she hits adulthood and people stop giving a shit about her first world problems.
January 12, 2017
Boy is she really going to be in for an unpleasant surprise once she hits adulthood and people stop giving a shit about her first world problems.

And she'll still be clinging to her 'teddy' .. in her 'safe room' with her coloring books and playdough. The future is looking wussified.
January 15, 2017
StudioFiftyFour

When parents reinforce to their children that they are the only thing that matters in the world, how does that affect their development?

It could go either way. Most upper management and CEO's have such attitude and it benefits them. People who have built up 9 digit bank accounts act like that too. It's an interesting world that we live in.
January 15, 2017
Techie
StudioFiftyFour

It could go either way. Most upper management and CEO's have such attitude and it benefits them. People who have built up 9 digit bank accounts act like that too. It's an interesting world that we live in.

They do, but there is a very subtle but important nuance: Upper management and CEOs MUST produce or be fired. Their demands for seven-figure salaries and company cars are, in theory, justified as a result of what they produce for the company. Kowtowing to a child's request for a teddy bear in such dire circumstances is not warranted.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login