Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Telsa owner suspected of kidnapping sprogs

Posted by cfdavep 
Telsa owner suspected of kidnapping sprogs
February 08, 2017
https://www.yahoo.com/tech/bystander-sees-tesla-owner-loading-kids-trunk-seats-040423700.html

I guess the back seats in these cars are "weird" and when the parent, put the sprogs in the back it came out looking like they were being tossed in the trunk. Someone freaked out and called the cops. I always thought Telsas were really pricey "environmental" cars like the hybrids.
Re: Telsa owner suspected of kidnapping sprogs
February 09, 2017
cfdavep
https://www.yahoo.com/tech/bystander-sees-tesla-owner-loading-kids-trunk-seats-040423700.html

I guess the back seats in these cars are "weird" and when the parent, put the sprogs in the back it came out looking like they were being tossed in the trunk. Someone freaked out and called the cops. I always thought Telsas were really pricey "environmental" cars like the hybrids.

There is no "environmental" vehicle. The power for the Tesla doesn't just magically come out of a wall. It's generated at a fossil fuel or nuclear power plant, then transmitted to the charging station, and a whole lot of energy is actually lost in that transmission, thereby creating the need to use more fossil fuels/nuclear materials.

If you want to drive a Tesla or a Prius because you like the style/fuel economy/whatever, that's fine. If you're doing so because you think you are being "environmentally conscious" by doing so, that's just patently false.

If you are driving one of these vehicles for supposed environmental reasons AND you have kids, then you are a gigantic poser. You can't be a holier-than-thou environmentalist AND have kids. These actions are mutually exclusive.
February 11, 2017
StudioFiftyFour
cfdavep

There is no "environmental" vehicle. The power for the Tesla doesn't just magically come out of a wall. It's generated at a fossil fuel or nuclear power plant, then transmitted to the charging station, and a whole lot of energy is actually lost in that transmission, thereby creating the need to use more fossil fuels/nuclear materials.

If you want to drive a Tesla or a Prius because you like the style/fuel economy/whatever, that's fine. If you're doing so because you think you are being "environmentally conscious" by doing so, that's just patently false.

If you are driving one of these vehicles for supposed environmental reasons AND you have kids, then you are a gigantic poser. You can't be a holier-than-thou environmentalist AND have kids. These actions are mutually exclusive.

Natural Gas (CNG) and Propane (LPG) are cleaner burning fuels than gasoline and especially diesel fuel. Too bad not many of those cars are sold brand new in the USA. Add to the fact that we do not have good refueling network.

Tesla is the first car to get a 200 mile range on a single charge, but, the materials needed to make the battery are not very easy to come by. Who knows what that will do if the production was to become mainstream.
February 11, 2017
Techie

Natural Gas (CNG) and Propane (LPG) are cleaner burning fuels than gasoline and especially diesel fuel. Too bad not many of those cars are sold brand new in the USA. Add to the fact that we do not have good refueling network.

Tesla is the first car to get a 200 mile range on a single charge, but, the materials needed to make the battery are not very easy to come by. Who knows what that will do if the production was to become mainstream.

Correct... not enough CNG or LPG stations in the US... certainly not enough to provide coverage across the vast arrays of interstate highways. And to build that infrastructure would require an enormous investment in capital, labor, and materials.

And regarding the Tesla... what about when the batteries are past their lifespan? What is the environmental cost of recycling them? What do we do with the materials once they're unusable?

In a perfect world, if running a bunch of Teslas meant that we avoid the CO2 problem (which we won't), there is the back-end problem of toxic waste, created by the batteries.
February 13, 2017
@Studio54: Tesla batteries are lithium based. They are, in theory, are recyclable. The technology is similar to cellphone batteries or those used in recent laptops. The issue is that our planet might not have enough lithium to make large car batteries. And as far as environment goes, well, so far, we have a poor record of recycling lithium ion batteries used in cellphones, tablets, cordless tools, etc. Will we do better with cars? I hope so but if history is an indicator...
February 13, 2017
Techie
@Studio54: Tesla batteries are lithium based. They are, in theory, are recyclable. The technology is similar to cellphone batteries or those used in recent laptops. The issue is that our planet might not have enough lithium to make large car batteries. And as far as environment goes, well, so far, we have a poor record of recycling lithium ion batteries used in cellphones, tablets, cordless tools, etc. Will we do better with cars? I hope so but if history is an indicator...

You're right... not enough lithium... but really, we're not going to have enough anything to run a planet with 10+ billion people on it by mid-century.

But I digress... while I do my part to recycle and save energy where I can, I don't consider myself a full-fledged environmentalist. However, I find it humorous when people have a bunch of kids, not give one iota of thought to the waste they generate, and yet think it all gets mitigated because they bought a Prius. It doesn't work that way.
February 19, 2017
The production of the electricity for a Tesla is mitigated somewhat if you live in an area that does a lot of wind, solar, or hydropower. Otherwise...yeah, still getting it from a fossil source and thus not improving things really.

The only "environmental vehicle": a bicycle.
February 19, 2017
randomcfchick
The production of the electricity for a Tesla is mitigated somewhat if you live in an area that does a lot of wind, solar, or hydropower. Otherwise...yeah, still getting it from a fossil source and thus not improving things really.

The only "environmental vehicle": a bicycle.

My boyfriend and I have been researching electric cars and solar for years.
The prices for each are finally coming down to within our low-income reach, so we are setting up a solar array on the shed roof to charge the next car, which will be electric.
We also live in a region that is studded with solar and wind systems.
February 19, 2017
Oh, oh, what if the world runs out of lithium? What are the people with bipolar disorder going to do?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login