Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

egg donation

Posted by mercurior 
egg donation
July 25, 2005
dont.

shortest answer, first theres a problem with some of the fertility chemicals on rare people its been known to kill them, 2nd, it is painful, 3rd there are rules coming out now about sperm donors, and egg donors where at a later date the kid could claim for your earnings as she is the mother of the kid, then comes the i think its illegal to sell eggs, without a government organisation involved.

is $5k worth all the hassle and pain that could start
anonny
Re: egg donation
July 25, 2005
Merc, where have you seen that a woman was sued for her earnings after donating an egg? I have seen that for sperm donors, but they weren't done in a clinic. I think if you have gone through a clinic (which you would HAVE to do to retrieve eggs, you are pretty much safe.
mercurior1
July 26, 2005
well if they do it for men, i cant see a problem for them doing it to a woman, unless the law is unfair.. oh wait.. it usually is.. if they can sue with no problem a sperm donor, then there should be no problem in sueing an egg donor,

http://www.geocities.com/edinc0/

Egg Donation, Inc. (ED, Inc.) is an agency which matches egg donors with infertile couples. We had an horrible experience dealing with them. We would like to share our experience with anyone who is interested.

Infertility is already a painful experience but dealing with ED, Inc. was an experience we hope no one needs to go through. We paid more than $4,000. And more than one and a half year after we contracted with them, we ended up with nothing but a painful memory. Not only did they not fulfill their obligation, but also sued us for breach of contract several years later. That's why we are sharing this experience with anyone who is interested to know.

http://www.metnews.com/articles/2004/kmeg051204.htm

http://www.pittsburghlive.com:8000/x/ptr/mostread/s_341035.html
Each of those states has made changes to the UPA, but every version outlines who is considered the parent. Under the UPA, a man who donates sperm is not the parent of a child born from his donation and has no rights or responsibilities toward that child. The same goes for egg donors.

Some states have surrogacy laws spelling out the role of surrogate mothers in the lives of the children they carried, and many don't consider them parents at all. In Pennsylvania, where there are no surrogacy laws, any woman who gives birth is considered to be the legal mother of the child -- even if the birth was a surrogate arrangement.

the professor
July 26, 2005
if a man can be sued for child support due to his donoring sperm, then wouldnt the same be true for egg donors. as mercurior said.. and as can be seen on his links, and the ones below, these IVF parents may and could do anything to get more money for themselves..

http://www.hofstra.edu/FORMS/FORMS_printPage.cfm?thepage=law_lawrev_shapo2 (warning very complicated the line with the **is important)

There is little law settling the legal status of the parties to IVF, egg donation, and embryo donation and transfer. Most commentators suggest that egg donation and sperm donation should be treated similarly: the donor should have no parental rights or obligations towards the resulting child, and the gestational mother and her consenting husband should be the legal parents.[292] This result is supported not only on the ground that a gestational mother should always be the presumed mother,[293] but also because she intends to raise the child.[294] The few statutes that apply to IVF designate the gestational mother and her husband as the child's legal parents.[295] Yet, the situations may not be completely analogous.[296] A woman donor, unlike a male donor, undergoes invasive, lengthy treatment with possible physiological side effects.[297] Consequently, it may be more likely that some egg donors undergo the treatment intending to play a parental role. Embryo donation also may not be completely analogous to sperm donation because it involves two gamete donors whose intentions regarding parenting may differ. In addition, the progenitors of the embryo may have been unsuccessful at procreating a child themselves or may have lost a child and may want to play a parental role to the child born of their embryo.

** The IVF statutes do not take account of these differences between donors, and, as described below, they leave other issues unanswered.

Under another subsection, the child is not the child of the embryo donors if the recipient husband and wife consent to the implantation,[320] though such consent is not required to be in writing. The wife most likely would have consented in writing to the implantation procedure, but if her husband did not consent, it is possible that both donors, along with the recipient woman, would be the parents of the resulting child

http://www.med.howard.edu/ethics/ethics/cases/emb.htm

And now that a child can have three mothers (genetic, gestational and rearing), who is responsible when all--or perhaps none--want the child

http://www.canadiancrc.com/articles/Boston_Globe_Partner_child_support_lesbians_sperm_donor_01MAR04.htm

http://www.mobar.org/journal/2005/janfeb/schlesinger.htm
anonny
July 28, 2005
***well if they do it for men, i cant see a problem for them doing it to a woman, unless the law is unfair.. oh wait.. it usually is.. if they can sue with no problem a sperm donor, then there should be no problem in sueing an egg donor, ***

I wasn't questioning what could happen necessarily, I was just curious if you had some links etc. because I hadn't heard of it.

I agree the whole messing with biology through ART opens up all kinds of ethical dilemmas. I would be so pissed if I were the couple who hired the Surrogate and then had to pay child support for children that are supposed to be mine. They aren't even genetically related to teh surrogate. Unbefreakinlievable! On the other hand, there is the part of me that says that's what you get and something about bedsheets.
mercurior1
July 28, 2005
i know, its just i was sure i saw it once, but can i find it, but i did find that legally there is actually no real difference.. i know surrogates have sued to keep the child, and the fathers sperm he is termed the father and is liable.. i am 99% sure i read it, but i spend a lot of time surfing
valkyrie
July 29, 2005
Don't do it! Another danger not mentioned here is ovarian cancer. Remember Gilda Radner and John Edward's wife? They both got their cancer from the same kind of fertility drugs that they give to egg donors. DO NOT DO IT!!!! $5K is not worth it!
Anonymous User
July 29, 2005
I don't agree with fertility treatments at all. It's not like there is a shortage of people on the planet, or a shortage of children needing to be adopted. If they can spend all that money on fertility treatments and donors, they could have spent it on adoption.

$5000 isn't that much, anyway, especially after taxes. I can't imagine the stuff you have to go through to donate an egg can be much fun, either. Not worth it if you ask me.

I very highly doubt you could ever be forced to pay child support. I think the cases where donors did that were when it was a private deal which defeats the purpose of "anonymous donation". But if you are really worried about it, it's best to keep your genentic material to yourself.
mercurior 1
July 29, 2005
the thing is they are trying to change the law on anonymous donors namely they arent going to allow you to be anonymous.

it has happened. and others like men being sued for child support when there is NO matching DNA from that man, to the child, he still has to pay..

in australia its under review http://www.glrl.org.au/OLD/html/Talking_Turkey.htm

While the case of B v J made it clear that the donor is not liable for child support under the Child Support Scheme, in some circumstances the Family Court can make orders for child maintenance outside the Child Support Scheme. The position of the donor is still unclear and the Family Court is yet to make a decision about whether a donor would be liable to pay child maintenance under the Family Law Act, as opposed to the Child Support (Assessment) Act. Legal opinion remains divided on this issue.

in anycase, i would say dont do it not for $5000, or $50,000 the risks outweigh any benefit if any

Sorry, you can't reply to this topic. It has been closed.