Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Breeders in Iceland rejoice

Posted by cfdavep 
Breeders in Iceland rejoice
March 08, 2017
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/world-first-iceland-require-firms-prove-equal-pay-111724789--finance.html

Iceland will require companies to ensure equal pay, I guess regardless of performance. Some commenters are pointing out how moos will get equal pay and take special benefits
Re: Breeders in Iceland rejoice
March 08, 2017
"Equal pay" = I'm taking time off to breed, but the company should still pay my salary.

And this will be done by lowering the pay of all workers and dumping the workload on child free employees.
March 08, 2017
The comments went pretty wild on this one. They are interesting to read. Someone was hollaring that parents take on work for the CL and CF when they need to take off. hysterical laughter
March 08, 2017
Comment from Article
My god. I swear reading these comments is making me less intelligent. There is no argument against equal pay unless you're an insecure man. They get maternity leave because they push a human out of their body and they should get more time than they do.

Translation: Childfree Men (and ladies) are simply insecure if they don't want to have their wages stolen from them and redistributed to parents.

So ladies and gentlemen, I want to hear from you: Is anyone here eager to spend extra hours at the office, slaving away so those who push humans out of their bodies can have their pay and leave time subsidized by your hard work and toil?

What say you?
March 09, 2017
The hell i'm willing to do that. I already pay taxes for services i'll never use.

This enrages me a lot because where i live the employer is the one who loses if a woman gets knocked up and this resulted in job insecurity for women of childbearing age - it's hard to get a permanent, full-time job and even a job at all. I wrote before about that. Employers are not allowed to ask you about it but they do make assumptions. Just yesterday i read an article in our newspaper about the hardships to get a job and advance your career when you hit late 20's. And many commenters said that they would not hire women because of the risk, some recruiters even admitted anonymously that they rejected women who had strong skills and experience just because they were at that age.

Those kind of policies are not helping women but the opposite, they do harm women because it puts them into a position which is more expensive through benefits. Of course, you can go and calve stay 6 years at home on maternity benefits but stop bitching it's hard to get a job afterwards or your salary is too low or your retirement is too low. Business is business not charity. And one of the biggest bullshit ever was the "having it all" mentality. There is no such thing as having it all.

The thing with equal pay has gone a bit too far imo. I do agree with equal pay but when you work the same number of hours, same shifts and same job.
March 09, 2017
Comment from Article
My god. I swear reading these comments is making me less intelligent. There is no argument against equal pay unless you're an insecure man. They get maternity leave because they push a human out of their body and they should get more time than they do.

This is just unbelievably stupid. No one makes them push a human out of their body, and, no, I do not want to pick up the slack. Should people get lots of time off for cosmetic surgery? "Linda from Accounting had half her face cut off, and she needs more facelift leave!"

I am not an insecure man, but a child-free woman. Perhaps not a real one, since I never shat a brat.
March 10, 2017
blackpearl
Those kind of policies are not helping women but the opposite, they do harm women because it puts them into a position which is more expensive through benefits. Of course, you can go and calve stay 6 years at home on maternity benefits but stop bitching it's hard to get a job afterwards or your salary is too low or your retirement is too low. Business is business not charity. And one of the biggest bullshit ever was the "having it all" mentality. There is no such thing as having it all.

This is what is so enraging for CF women. We don't get any of the benefits, but we get the assumptions.

One of the reasons that I support universal sabbaticals is that this inequality would end. Companies would stop discriminating against people 20-40, and governments would be required to recognize the financial cost and create a generally funded scheme. And CF people would finally get the same support for our life choices.

Failing that, mandatory paternity leave would at least stop hiring discrimination against women, although CF people would still get screwed by having to pick up the slack.

Maternity leave is horrible for CF women, it's the worst of all possible options.
March 10, 2017
"Equality" in a nation like Iceland means "sameness."

And just for kicks has anyone noticed how homogeneous Iceland is?

Everyone is blonde and blue-eyed up there.
March 12, 2017
blackpearl
This enrages me a lot because where i live the employer is the one who loses if a woman gets knocked up and this resulted in job insecurity for women of childbearing age - it's hard to get a permanent, full-time job and even a job at all. I wrote before about that. Employers are not allowed to ask you about it but they do make assumptions. Just yesterday i read an article in our newspaper about the hardships to get a job and advance your career when you hit late 20's. And many commenters said that they would not hire women because of the risk, some recruiters even admitted anonymously that they rejected women who had strong skills and experience just because they were at that age.

This makes me so mad. I've been to several job interviews where it was very hard to steer the conversation in a way that I can tell the interviewer that I don't want kids. Also, I could never tell if a specific question was a tricky question aimed at finding out whether I want kids (it was especially hard because some of the jobs were in the hospitality sector where it's a disadvantage to dislike kids, and I actually like most kids, I just don't want to have one... but it's impossible to tell the difference between a "do you like kids" and a "do you want kids" question).

But I understand the employers because once the woman gets pregnant, you just can't get rid of her. It should be legal to ask whether the applicant actually wants to work or wants to spend years on a vacation.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login