Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Moos and pets

Posted by cfdavep 
Moos and pets
March 17, 2017
https://www.yahoo.com/news/m/a63569f5-b4b4-37b9-9008-f967dd983ebb/having-a-kid-made-me-hate-my.html

I not really a dog person, but the title made me stabby.
Re: Moos and pets
March 23, 2017
Think one of the most important considerations about a dog is whether the environment they will live in is good for them. Will the breed receive enough attention? Can the breed handle apartment living? other pets? etc.

It isn't about a cute puppy, haven't seen a puppy yet that isn't cute. Some dog breeds require 2 hours of walking a day and 3 hours a day as a puppy. It isn't a light commitment.

Glad they found a better home for the pup, it would have been even better if they wouldn't have adopted him in the first place and found a breed that would enjoy their lifestyle with them and that they can make permanent accommodations for.
March 23, 2017
freya
Glad they found a better home for the pup, it would have been even better if they wouldn't have adopted him in the first place and found a breed that would enjoy their lifestyle with them and that they can make permanent accommodations for.

Absolutely. People don't think they need to know anything-- a dog is a dog is a dog. I was guilty of this same thing, when I started having cats (granted, I was 18, so my ignorance might be a little more excusable). I mean, everybody knows how to take care of a cat, right?

Before I got pet rats, I did tons of research on them. I knew I didn't know anything. It made me realize how much I didn't know about cats, and I'd had them for years.

My sister has Scottish Terriers, and they are a TREMENDOUSLY misunderstood breed. She said she judges the accuracy of dog books by seeing what they have to say about Scotties. If they say they're a good breed for kids, she knows she can't trust anything else the book has to say. But people think they're cute and don't take into account that, without proper training and socialization, a Scottie will take over a household and can quickly become quite dangerous.

People in general just don't know how much they don't know.
March 27, 2017
ITA. When I got my parrot, I thought I knew how to raise birds, since I've had so many. Mostly budgies, finches, even pigeons. When I got Conner, I was astounded by the amount of work he needed, and still needs to this day. Totally different thing from what I was used to.

What did I do? I learned how to communicate with him in his way, and he was much easier to deal with. Now he talks in context, behaves himself (for the most part) and is a great member of my family. I would go nuts if something happened to him. This weekend, he took a link of silver off of my earring, with a stone attached to it, and decided not to give it back. Finally, he dropped it, but I thought he had swallowed it at first and I was fucking FREAKING! We finally found the piece on the floor. I was so relieved, it was crazy.

Most breeders don't know how to respect animals. Once the holy loaf comes along, the animals are usually tossed to the back of the line, and they are often rehomed. It makes me so mad.

I'm not really a dog person either, but if I ever adopted one (which will be never), I would make sure it had a very good home and I would keep it until it went to the rainbow bridge from old age. Why don't breeders look at animals this way? They're not just pets, they are members of the family. At least that's what I think of my birds.
March 27, 2017
What blows me away is the "oh we don't have time for kids and pets". What bullshit. TONS of kids in previous generations (myself, my friends, and my parents) were raised with pets. And PNBs are still managing to take care of both their pets and their children, and are turning out kids who learn to respect and care for animals. It can be done, it's that a lot of people just can't be arsed to put forth the effort.
March 30, 2017
Fat, lazy Moos love that excuse to be FAT, LAZY MOOS!
April 23, 2017
My dog was rehomed because kyds...their loss our gain, we now have our gorgeous lively boy and he will get the rest of his life in a peaceful kyd free home with lots of walks, treats, cuddles and play time. Poor lad was alone 12h a day and never walked and he's a high energy patterdale terrier. Yet another case of breeders dropping their pets once holy loaves come along hitting over the head with a hammer
April 23, 2017
I also have a rescue dog that was the victim of severe neglect because kyds. Not spayed, heartworms and severe neurosis.
April 23, 2017
yep--years ago we "inherited" the world's only known yellow lab that hated kids. And after they had moved on without the dog, the family (guess what!!) found the little girl beast had been a demon spawn just as I predicted, She was caught telling another kid "if you don't let me in line ahead of you, I'll tell them you hit me"!! I just KNEW she had tormented that doggie. Much later she was sent away to a Special School as a teen, because of extreme misbehavior and warped-ism.
I also got my recent wonderful, loving dog who had been returned to the shelter because she "jumped up on the kids and knocked them over.It's called train the damn kids and the dog, idiots!
April 24, 2017
reeniebessagain
yep--years ago we "inherited" the world's only known yellow lab that hated kids. And after they had moved on without the dog, the family (guess what!!) found the little girl beast had been a demon spawn just as I predicted, She was caught telling another kid "if you don't let me in line ahead of you, I'll tell them you hit me"!! I just KNEW she had tormented that doggie. Much later she was sent away to a Special School as a teen, because of extreme misbehavior and warped-ism.
I also got my recent wonderful, loving dog who had been returned to the shelter because she "jumped up on the kids and knocked them over.It's called train the damn kids and the dog, idiots!

My lad was rehomed because the toadler tried to take his chew from him and doggy growled. Well duh...how about you train your kyd to leave the dog alone while he's eating?
April 24, 2017
I am a dog person, NOT a people person. These breeders that have to live with their head stuck up Junior's ass so far that it makes them HATE a living thing that they are supposed to be caring for are sick pieces of work.

Glad the dog got a better home.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login