Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Screaming baby in apartment in NYC

Posted by Peace 
Screaming baby in apartment in NYC
July 26, 2017
The NY Times published a letter about an apartment dweller who was being kept up all night due to the neighbor's screaming baby. What was the advice? Suck it up, and buy the breeders gifts in the hopes that they'll listen to your noise complaints.

Oh, but the comments, the comments! It is a litany of breeder bingoes against the childfree/childless person just trying to sleep in their own space.

And this dear Bratfree peeps, is why I would never live in NYC: too loud, too congested, too many people, and huge cockroaches.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/24/realestate/a-crying-baby-next-door.html?rref=collection%2Fcolumn%2Fask-real-estate
Re: Screaming baby in apartment in NYC
July 26, 2017
NYC is a hellhole and the cost of living is outrageous. For the kind of dough people pay to live there NO ONE should be crying and the streets should be paved with gold.
July 26, 2017
I wouldn't call it a hell hole. But I agree that the rents and/or purchase price of an apartment are insane.

For the price of a small one bedroom apartment in NYC, we have ourselves a beautiful 3 bedroom house in a quiet, leafy, residential suburb, with full services and a good sized piece of land for a garden.

You pay outlandish rents, just to have no peace in your own space. thumbs down
July 26, 2017
I love that she says eventually the baby will stop crying. Anyone who's ever had an apartment next door to a toddler knows that it won't be the end of the noise. They scream constantly for no reason. The last time I looked for an apartment, I asked a couple of retirement communities if I could get permission to move in despite not being old enough. They said no.
July 26, 2017
Peace
I wouldn't call it a hell hole. But I agree that the rents and/or purchase price of an apartment are insane.

For the price of a small one bedroom apartment in NYC, we have ourselves a beautiful 3 bedroom house in a quiet, leafy, residential suburb, with full services and a good sized piece of land for a garden.

You pay outlandish rents, just to have no peace in your own space. thumbs down

To each his own. I know some people love NYC and are fascinated by it. I'm coming from the standpoint of a lifetime frequent traveler (work and leisure), and I just don't see any value in paying 4 grand for a studio apartment where you're surrounded by constant noise. Other American cities are significantly more livable and enjoyable, at far less expense.
July 26, 2017
I have never lived in NYC, but I remember one of the things that drove me nuts about college was the constant noise everywhere. If I complained everyone acted like I was the one doing something wrong. Why are people so damn hostile to people who just want peace and quiet? hitting head against a brick wall
July 26, 2017
Okay, so now we're expected to celebrate a noisy baby by bringing the parent(s) gifts? A can you pretty please put a cork in it party perhaps?
July 27, 2017
ondinette
Why are people so damn hostile to people who just want peace and quiet? hitting head against a brick wall

I've spent a lot of time wondering over this myself. To me, the default is quiet. If you're adding noise to the air, there should be a good reason for it. I sit next to a guy at work that taps his pen, crinkles wrappings, constantly and elaborately stirs his drink and randomly makes annoying noises just because. The little effer spends most of the day playing on his phone, just had to take a day off he didn't have saved time for to go to court for a speeding ticket and does a piss poor job when he actually does work. Nobody will fire the little shit because his gf shat out his little bastard and sometimes she brings the puking hellion into the office for the moos to goo over.
July 27, 2017
stillwaters
ondinette
Why are people so damn hostile to people who just want peace and quiet? hitting head against a brick wall

I've spent a lot of time wondering over this myself. To me, the default is quiet. If you're adding noise to the air, there should be a good reason for it. I sit next to a guy at work that taps his pen, crinkles wrappings, constantly and elaborately stirs his drink and randomly makes annoying noises just because. The little effer spends most of the day playing on his phone, just had to take a day off he didn't have saved time for to go to court for a speeding ticket and does a piss poor job when he actually does work. Nobody will fire the little shit because his gf shat out his little bastard and sometimes she brings the puking hellion into the office for the moos to goo over.

Used to work near a guy who would make noise of some sort literally all day, every day. Nonstop. I kept my headphones on at all time. He even talked to himself and laughed at what he had to say. He was a moron and I ended up having to redo much of his work until they finally fired the little shit. He would also make the rounds and walk around to everyone that worked in the building trying to make small talk every day. And if you said you're busy and can't talk he'd just stand next to your desk.

And the retard desperately wanted a wife and to breed but no woman would go on more than one date with him. He would tattle on me anytime I didn't invite him to lunch, which was every day.
July 29, 2017
The only gift I'd send those breeders is a box of condoms
July 30, 2017
Wonder what would happen if the neighbor were to sound off a foghorn on the common wall in the bedroom every time the loaf cries?
Maybe that would cause the moo and duh to understand just how much noise carries. If moo and duh "get it" and move the screamer then a box of condoms as a gift as selidororous suggested.
July 30, 2017
selidororous
The only gift I'd send those breeders is a box of condoms

YesyesyesyesyesYES.

And yeah, the thought that the breeders should get gifts to make them friendly enough to be considerate of their neighbors is absurd. I don't even have the words for how ridiculous and demeaning that suggestion is.
July 30, 2017
The gift they would get from me is a letter to management, telling them that the noise from the loaf is keeping me up at night. That, and the box of condoms, which is brilliant. I'm so glad I live on a quiet country street.
August 06, 2017
This is yet another reason why breeders shouldn't be allowed to live in apartment buildings!

They make way too much noise, are messy by default and usually, when they leave, their suites need to be cleaned thoroughly, even though they said it's been done. Yeah, maybe the basic's, maybe not. Hey, how about you clean off the marker your kid used all over the damn wall! Or how about all the stains all over the carpet and baseboards?

This takes away time from the staff who manage the building to be doing many other things. I'm not saying all CF people are neat and tidy, breeders just bring umpteen times the mess!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
They are having children for selfish and narcissistic reasons, or are simply irresponsible. Funny... Those are the terms often used to describe the CF

~Live, Laugh, Love~
August 06, 2017
It's absurd that adults-only apartment buildings (aside from retirement communities) are illegal. I have sensory integration issues and crying/screaming loaves are my absolute WORST trigger; it's literally excruciating for me to listen to and just seeing a loaf sends me into a near panic. This condition isn't a choice, but calving is - why should a loud, messy, smelly tenant be accommodated over a quiet one who never bothers anyone?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login