Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Miss Manners nails it: baby shower and gifts not acknowledged by moo

Posted by freya 
Miss Manners nails it: baby shower and gifts not acknowledged by moo
July 31, 2017
Scroll down past the top entry for this one or read below: http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/07/30/miss-manners-do-i-deserve-my-bosss-glare-for-not-insisting-a-woman-take-my-seat/

DEAR MISS MANNERS: I was the only nonfamily member to co-host a baby shower. I made and presented gifts, made decorations and created parting gifts for partygoers.

The expectant mother, who has previously sent thank-you notes like clockwork, did not acknowledge my participation. I know your stance about gifts being too big a burden to be acknowledged, but where do I stand now? It will be several years before the little one can give thanks on her own. Should I stop the gifts until then?

GENTLE READER: WHAT? Surely you cannot be attributing to Miss Manners the foul idea that presents are “too big a burden to be acknowledged.” Rather, she believes it should be considered a privilege to express the gratitude that must be rising within anyone fortunate enough to have generous friends.

But perhaps you are referring to her belief that if there is no such expression, the recipient must consider that receiving generosity is more of a burden than a pleasure. In that case, which seems to fit your friend, the considerate thing to do is to cease creating that burden.
Awesome.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login