Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

CF/CL woman donates $22M to zoo in Germany

Posted by cfdavep 
CF/CL woman donates $22M to zoo in Germany
September 01, 2017
https://www.yahoo.com/news/93-old-american-woman-donates-22-mn-cologne-134614390.html

Just thought that was cool. Wild Putty Tats are beautiful
Re: CF/CL woman donates $22M to zoo in Germany
September 05, 2017
I love it!

There was a guy locally who left $500k to fund a new animal shelter (which the county BADLY needed). He left relatives behind, and I'm sure they all got something, but everyone I knew (including his nephew) thought it was just great. However, I got into an argument/debate with my SIL's idiot father who thought the money should have gone to help humans. His first mistake was starting his question with "But don't you think..." which to me is just another way of saying, "Whatever your own thoughts, you're wrong and what I'm about to say is the only right answer." I argued him down until he had no response, and when one of my nephews tried to side with good ol' grandpa, I argued him down, too.

And in a very surprising (to me, anyway) twist, my brother walked through the room during the discussion, turned his head so neither FIL nor son could see him, and flashed me a huge smile. Apparently he actually appreciated that I was logically defending my position, which is pretty rare for him.

Anyway, I've faced these insipid arguments too many times not to have ready answers in the face of stupidity. It was very satisfying. winking smiley
September 05, 2017
One of the long time producers of The Simpsons passed from cancer a while back and he was childfree (or childless) and left his Simpsons millions to animal charities.

------------------------------------------------------------
"Why children take so long to grow? They eat and drink like pig and give nothing back. Must find way to accelerate process..."
- Dr. Yi Suchong, Bioshock

"Society does not need more children; but it does need more loved children. Quite literally, we cannot afford unloved children - but we pay heavily for them every day. There should not be the slightest communal concern when a woman elects to destroy the life of her thousandth-of-an-ounce embryo. But all society should rise up in alarm when it hears that a baby that is not wanted is about to be born."
- Garrett Hardin

"I feel like there's a message involved here somehow, but then I couldn't stop laughing at all the plotholes, like the part when North Korea has food."
- Youtube commentor referring to a North Korean cartoon.

"Reality is a bitch when it slowly crawls out of your vagina and shits in your lap."
- Reddit comment

"Bitch wants a baby, so we're gonna fuck now. #bareback"
- Cambion

Oh whatever. Abortion doctors are crimestoppers."
- Miss Hannigan
September 06, 2017
paragon schnitzophonic
One of the long time producers of The Simpsons passed from cancer a while back and he was childfree (or childless) and left his Simpsons millions to animal charities.

Sam Simon, yeah. Animals were a primary cause of his while he was alive, as well.
September 06, 2017
I can just picture the comments now - breeders in their droves lowing about "but think how many chyldren could've been helped with that money!!!111".

For every person that donates to animal charities there are 9 who refuse to because "people should come first".
September 06, 2017
But.....but......but......she would have made the world a better place if she's laid back, sluiced a loaf and done something really noteworthy with her life. bemused eye roll

Remember, Kids, this would all be overshadowed had she experienced The Greatest Love of AllTM for a womb product. two faces puking

Back to reality: what an awesomely cool thing to do.
September 06, 2017
lurker-derp
For every person that donates to animal charities there are 9 who refuse to because "people should come first".

That was exactly my experience. "Don't you think that money should have gone to help humans?" Why no, you callous son of a bitch, I don't.
September 06, 2017
kittehpeoples
lurker-derp

That was exactly my experience. "Don't you think that money should have gone to help humans?" Why no, you callous son of a bitch, I don't.

Wasn't there a Prudie letter recently about someone whose partner would only donate money to help animals and not people after hurricane Harvey? The LW was like "surely people need that money more, even if they did vote for Trump?" And Prudie was like "helping animals is cool but it's still cruel to put a stipulation on helping people because of their political stance".

Bitch no! How many animals got left behind to die because of people who didn't care enough to bring their furry family members when they evacuated?
September 07, 2017
http://www.theonion.com/article/houston-residents-begin-surveying-damage-200-years-56784

The Onion did an article on human activity, population and climate change. I also noticed that some commenters were donating just to pets for the reason above.
September 07, 2017
lurker-derp
kittehpeoples
lurker-derp

Wasn't there a Prudie letter recently about someone whose partner would only donate money to help animals and not people after hurricane Harvey? The LW was like "surely people need that money more, even if they did vote for Trump?" And Prudie was like "helping animals is cool but it's still cruel to put a stipulation on helping people because of their political stance".

Bitch no! How many animals got left behind to die because of people who didn't care enough to bring their furry family members when they evacuated?

I could not agree more. In many cases, people can help themselves; animals depend on us. My heart goes out to helpless and hurting critters, tbh.
September 08, 2017
I think there is also a 'No pets allowed' at many evacuation centers. It might be that it isn't a case of callous people leaving their pets behind, but more of one where they can't take them with them, no matter how much they might. Thete are people fighting to overturn this, but in some places it might take a while.
September 08, 2017
nightfire
I think there is also a 'No pets allowed' at many evacuation centers. It might be that it isn't a case of callous people leaving their pets behind, but more of one where they can't take them with them, no matter how much they might. Thete are people fighting to overturn this, but in some places it might take a while.

It's a difficult problem, though, not as simple as changing rules and making all centers pet-friendly. There are people with genuine allergies to animals, and there are also poorly socialized pets (could be crummy owners, could be rescue animals) that present a danger to other animals.
September 08, 2017
yurble
It's a difficult problem, though, not as simple as changing rules and making all centers pet-friendly. There are people with genuine allergies to animals, and there are also poorly socialized pets (could be crummy owners, could be rescue animals) that present a danger to other animals.

Poorly socialized pets aren't a problem if they're crated. As for allergies, well, I feel the same way about that as I do about people demanding that airlines restrict what food is served because some precious genetic defect might have a peanut allergy. If your allergies are severe enough to threaten your life, then carry whatever medications you might need in an emergency with you. If they don't threaten your life, then don't make some family lose their cat or dog because you're gonna sneeze around it.
September 08, 2017
cj
I could not agree more. In many cases, people can help themselves; animals depend on us. My heart goes out to helpless and hurting critters, tbh.

That's it exactly. Humans have choices that animals don't.
September 09, 2017
kittehpeoples
yurble

Poorly socialized pets aren't a problem if they're crated. As for allergies, well, I feel the same way about that as I do about people demanding that airlines restrict what food is served because some precious genetic defect might have a peanut allergy. If your allergies are severe enough to threaten your life, then carry whatever medications you might need in an emergency with you. If they don't threaten your life, then don't make some family lose their cat or dog because you're gonna sneeze around it.

Normally I would say that it is best for people with allergies to try to avoid situations where they will be exposed to things they're allergic to, since medicines are not a solution for all allergies. However, in the case of an emergency evacuation, people can't exactly choose to avoid the situation.
September 09, 2017
nightfire

I understand that it sometimes isn't possible to take your pets with you, but some of these animals are being chained to trees and fences and left to drown. It's one thing to have to leave your pet behind because of evacuation center rules, it's quite another to leave the animal with no means of escape from danger.
September 09, 2017
lurker-derp
I understand that it sometimes isn't possible to take your pets with you, but some of these animals are being chained to trees and fences and left to drown. It's one thing to have to leave your pet behind because of evacuation center rules, it's quite another to leave the animal with no means of escape from danger.

People who do shit like that should be denied access to the shelters. They don't deserve it.
September 09, 2017
yurble
Normally I would say that it is best for people with allergies to try to avoid situations where they will be exposed to things they're allergic to, since medicines are not a solution for all allergies. However, in the case of an emergency evacuation, people can't exactly choose to avoid the situation.

So what if you're allergic to a human's scent - deodorant, or cologne, or shampoo? I've heard about severe breathing allergies to all of these. There should be some mechanism in place so everyone can survive, allergen-ridden or not.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login