Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Children welcome means toadlers galore

Posted by rosyie 
Children welcome means toadlers galore
November 08, 2017
The city I live in has a vigorous English as Second Language (ESL) program, due to the university and a couple of hospital campus. I live in an apartment block where many of the foreign students and workers also live. One of the ESL teachers that lives in this area decided to host an on-going International Women's Tea once a month to help some of the ladies practice their English language speaking skills, according to the flyer pinned up in my apartment lobby, with 'children welcome' in small letters at the bottom. Since I am currently unemployed and the tea was being held in a nearby building's activity room during the day, I thought I would attend. I don't claim to be the world's greatest conversationalist, but maybe I could meet some new people while helping out. I emailed the ESL instructor if it was okay that I attend as a native English speaker. She emailed back that it was fine that I attend.

Color me naive, but I made the assumption that children welcome would mean maybe one toadler, maybe a loaf in arms, that kind of thing. Stupid me, except for the ESL teacher and I, everyone had brought with them one or two toadler's apiece. It's to practice English, not sit in a creche.

The noise was as you might expect, with many screaming, crying meltdowns and loud babblings. I shouldn't have, but after missing whole swaths of the conversation, I just got up and left after an hour without saying anything. I thought, Lesson learned. Every lady there was friendly and sweet, but I signed up for the WOMEN'S tea, not toadler tea time. Another bonus, none of the cherubs in question got near me. I must have been giving off a strong anti-toadler vibe.wink

Except the ESL lady contacted me later via email saying it was great having another native English speaker and how my input was appreciated. I emailed her back, saying I don't think it was my scene and maybe she should put on the flyer that there is going to be many toddlers there, so that those that have an inkling to attend know what to expect, unlike myself.

This prompted another email from her in my direction, stating that, 'it's usually not so loud'. This is coming from a lady who during the introduction segment of the proceedings stated that she so looking forward to being a grandma, so a breeder pleaser basically.

Again, I wrote her back, saying that I couldn't hear with all the noise in the room and that she should make it clear on the flyer that the regular attendees are all coming with toadlers in tow. I also called bullshit on her 'usually not so loud' argument, indicating in the email that toadlers are not known for being quiet and polite. I maybe shouldn't have said it, but I thought, better tell her the real reason I left and won't be coming back instead some fake excuse.

I realized I am whistling in the wind, but maybe one day it will dawn on this broad that women doesn't default to children every damn time & I should have to tolerate screaming.
Re: Children welcome means toadlers galore
November 08, 2017
I can't help but feel that being weighed down by those many children may be preventing the women from seeking out other opportunities to practice their language skills.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login