Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Polish government latest to promote breeding

Posted by yurble 
Polish government latest to promote breeding
November 09, 2017
Ugh.

The YouTube video shows rabbits munching on lettuce and carrots while a rabbit “narrator” reveals the secret of their big families — exercise, a healthy diet and little stress.
Viewers are told: “If you ever want to be a parent, follow the example of rabbits.”
It also said it was seeking to raise public awareness of the issue in a way that “did not offend anyone and was not vulgar”.

Well, I don't see how they're going to succeed in being non-offensive given that the idea of increasing reproduction is offensive to many people.

I also guess they don't provide advice on how to continue to have little stress in your life if you do reproduce.
Re: Polish government latest to promote breeding
November 09, 2017
Poland is REALLY Catholic and a scary pro-liar country
November 09, 2017
cfdavep
Poland is REALLY Catholic and a scary pro-liar country

Scary? They are historically one of the least aggressive and most invaded European nation. If anything the Poles have valid concern for their own safety, based on past vulnerability. If they as a people are choosing to be insulated and Catholic, I see nothing wrong with that.

As far as policy goes, I think it's a lousy one if they are looking for anything beyond replacement fertility. History shows that it most likely won't work, either.
November 09, 2017
Unless you are a poor cf woman, not a good place to live
November 09, 2017
cfdavep
Unless you are a poor cf woman, not a good place to live

I don't live there and I've never been there, so I am not going to comment on their standard of living. I know that the former Eastern Bloc nations do not enjoy the same luxuries as western Europe, generally speaking.

What I am a big proponent of is choice. As long as people are choosing to live there, choosing their religion, choosing their lifestyle, that's the ideal circumstance for humans.
November 09, 2017
This is a TV commercial. TV around the globe is a dying medium, and its last refuge is among breeders, you can bet your ass your going to see this kind of crap.

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
November 10, 2017
craftyzits
This is a TV commercial. TV around the globe is a dying medium, and its last refuge is among breeders, you can bet your ass your going to see this kind of crap.

Don't get me started on TV and its death throes. Here comes a long, unrelated rant...

In a lot of European countries, there is a special tax - distinct from regular taxes but just as inescapable - which is a "TV license" and goes towards sponsoring public programming. In countries where you can get out of paying it if you don't have a TV, proposals are underway to require licenses for computers, since many younger people have no interest in traditional TV. In some countries it doesn't matter if you have no TV, radio, or internet, you still have to pay.

Maybe this made sense back when it was introduced, probably in the '50s, and it paid for infrastructure to be rolled out in rural areas to ensure that everyone had the same access to up-to-date news. But it's long since gone on to fund programming, not infrastructure, and programming for which there are generally better alternatives anyway. Probably the only nationally funded television station of any note is the BBC, and they should probably support themselves with royalties from their successful programs. In other countries, the national television stations serve no real function, and their only audience is a handful of elderly people without internet.

I seriously doubt anyone under 70 is using television as their primary source of news these days, and Netflix offers far better entertainment for less cost. National television is an idea that has completely outlived its usefulness and ought to be scrapped, not expanded.

But of course nobody proposes this. Nobody proposes adapting the program to fit the original intention. I would not mind paying if the funds were being used to ensure broadband access throughout the country, so that all citizens have access to news and public services via the internet. I would not mind if the funds were used for investigative journalism, which has become a rarity now that newspapers are dying, as I feel this performs a vital function in a democracy. But I very much resent propping up a dying medium that no longer has a public service function.
November 10, 2017
craftyzits

Is it a dying medium, or is it more popular than ever before? I still consider watching on a computer screen to be considered "TV" because the idea of audio and video combined into one medium meets the definition of the original purpose for the medium. We're just changing how it is broadcast.
November 10, 2017
We have to pay TV and radio tax although i don't even have a TV. Then there is another tax you have to pay if you have TV and i remember getting letters reminding me to pay the tax even if i didn't have a TV. One of my friends had some people coming over to check if they have a TV in the apartment because they received some "info" that there might be people who own TVs on that are and don't declare them.

As about promoting breeding, don't worry that comes in all forms on all channels, TV or not.
November 10, 2017
For you who are forced to pay tax for TV even if you don't have one, consider this. You don't have to pay medical tax like we do in America. If you don't have insurance (the tax in question) you can be assured of an ugly death.

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
November 10, 2017
craftyzits
For you who are forced to pay tax for TV even if you don't have one, consider this. You don't have to pay medical tax like we do in America. If you don't have insurance (the tax in question) you can be assured of an ugly death.

Insurance is mandatory in many countries. I don't mind paying it, I get something for it.
November 11, 2017
StudioFiftyFour
I don't live there and I've never been there, so I am not going to comment on their standard of living. I know that the former Eastern Bloc nations do not enjoy the same luxuries as western Europe, generally speaking.

What I am a big proponent of is choice. As long as people are choosing to live there, choosing their religion, choosing their lifestyle, that's the ideal circumstance for humans.

I've been there several times and loved it, but it's scary how much power the church has over reproductive choices. It's not a choice when you can't find a doctor who is willing to perform an abortion, even in cases when the law allows it. It's not a choice when otherwise treatable illnesses are not treated because the patient happens to be pregnant. Religious choices should never trump another person's rights.

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1016/S0968-8080(05)26192-X

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/20/world/europe/20iht-poland.4969942.html

https://thesis.eur.nl/pub/12972/Duda%20D%20343753.pdf
November 11, 2017
tea princess
StudioFiftyFour

I've been there several times and loved it, but it's scary how much power the church has over reproductive choices. It's not a choice when you can't find a doctor who is willing to perform an abortion, even in cases when the law allows it. It's not a choice when otherwise treatable illnesses are not treated because the patient happens to be pregnant. Religious choices should never trump another person's rights.

http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1016/S0968-8080(05)26192-X

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/20/world/europe/20iht-poland.4969942.html

https://thesis.eur.nl/pub/12972/Duda%20D%20343753.pdf

I am in no way in favor of those laws, nor do I endorse any political system featuring any connection between religion and government. If the Poles don't desire to have these laws on the books, they should try to change them through the democratic process, however difficult.

One of the ideal things about the US is the concept of states' rights, which is a philosophy on the upswing once again. Different states have different laws in areas where federal law does not apply. And people are free to live wherever they want. I do realize that in the case of a Polish citizen, moving from nation-to-nation may present some difficulties.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login