Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Adult kids cost parents ANOTHER quarter of a mil

Posted by cfuter 
Re: Adult kids cost parents ANOTHER quarter of a mil
December 24, 2017
mr. neptune
Techie, do you feel the same way about nepotism I do? Because I can't stand my family, can you?

I don't know how I feel about nepotism, I was never a part of it. I have never worked for or with relatives.
December 27, 2017
Techie
It sounds like a situation here in USA in some small town, with very few jobs to go around. Another possibility is a position like a CEO, where the money is really good and only few well known folks would be considered. Such situation is not as common in big cities, where most employers are actually not able to fill all the positions. Even management spots are not always easy to fill either.

BlackPearl, do you think that there is a possibility that locals are creating artificial jobs shortage and are slowing down and harming the economy as a result? To me, it seems like it.

It might be, i really don't know what to say about it. In a country with a population of 5 million and a half these things are quite common, and here i refer to nepotism and relations. People here do not want to leave their comfort zone and they prefer to hire locals. Immigrants are also shoved aside and not necessarily because of lack of language skills or professional skills. A foreigner might have another way of doing things and locals are scared of that, they don't want their way of thinking or working changed. They want the good old ways, "because we have always done things like that" mentality. That is a huge mistake because on one hand the old ways might be safe and got you results but until when? The world is changing and if they are not willing to change and be innovative, they will lose. I think this is one of the main reason the economy is not going forward.

To give you a funny example about "we have always done things like that here": I was working a summer job as a cleaner at a health center and one of the old cleaners started yelling at me because i put the trash bag the wrong way. There was nothing wrong with the way i put it but nooo, i had to put it exactly like her. Any other way was wrong. She also criticized me that i hold the mop the wrong way.bemused eye roll
December 27, 2017
BlackPearl, I have learned that if someone or something is not moving forward, it or they are moving backwards. To us, in USA, for the most part, immigrants bring talent and innovation. Think Google and Apple. Think of countless high tech jobs and innovations. It has been like that for a long time. Igor Sikorsky and Nicola Tesla did not exactly "do things the way that they have always been done", so the lady who tells you her garbage bag stories, she needs to get online and learn a thing or two.
December 29, 2017
This drastic decline in quality of life hit it's stride in the early 70's when the gold standard was dropped in the US and is nothing new. Prior to that the quality of life was at the highest throughout the 50's-60's. Millennials who bleat about it need to read a book or two on finance and use their critical thinking skills to figure out life and that what they are experiencing isn't unique to their generation and it has been the same for nearly half a century now. There is tons of data available online now on everything and lots of online classes are at little to no cost and self-paced. Searching for free condoms in my state gave over 500K results.

If millennials struggling financially have half a brain they won't reproduce and if that doesn't work then having to miss some meals each week just might discourage breeding. It hasn't been possible to earn a living wage delivering milk or selling shoes for 40 plus years and most people at 25 are going to require roommates or more than 1 job to survive. Nothing new.
December 30, 2017
I agree Freya, there was extreme bitchin' about inflation and recession in the 70s-80s, (altho 80s did show some affluence). It was on the news every night, on Johnny Carson's monologues, and in sitcoms. The post-college kids did work 2 jobs, had roommates, and used milk crates for furniture. THEY wanted to get out from under mommy and daddy's roof and their rules, no matter what. Now parents make it too easy and the adult kids dont want to tunnel out becuz the parents let them do whatever they want in the house, and they evidently are too good to waitress while working their day job, or any job, and too good for milk crates. So many of my friends' kids(adult kids) dont even have friends from what we can tell. So they don't have roommates. We'll modern parenting made sure parents were the best friends, now they literally can't get rid of them.
December 31, 2017
Freya, you are spot on in just about everything. I wanted to add that while millennials may not breed to the same extent that their parents did, there is no shortage. Some breed and require more help from parents, others get on public assistance. Others are well off and are doing just fine. In either case, so far, people feel well enough about the economy to be able to breed. Most of them do not work 2 jobs and most get even more money thrown at them as they bake more loaves. There are some people who do not have parents with deep pockets but I have also seen parents taking out extra home loans and run up their credit cards in order to help kyds and grand kyds.

As for life in 60's and early 70's, yes, one income was the norm for a family but looking at how my parents grew up, I am not sure that I can say that those times were of wealth and abundance. One family car, a tiny bungalow, no central a/c in the house, one TV, no cable, no internet, tiny closets - that was the life back then. My grandma's mother used to knit her own sweaters. People lived on a lot less, at least my grandparents and great grandparents did. A huge plus was that my parents were able to go to college and it did not cost a whole lot. Today, some people have huge student loans but I cannot say that those student loans have any impact on people's breeding habits.
December 31, 2017
I live on $1400 a month. I live in an old house with three roommates, and we share two bathrooms, full kitchen, and a washer and dryer. Yes, for an adult it's a fail, but I'm a disabled adult, and the $300 rent can't be beat. I also have the ability to save money, and with that savings, I've turned into a gold + silver bug. I've several tiny gold and silver bricks in a safe deposit box at the bank.

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login