Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

The Retro Moo

Posted by freya 
The Retro Moo
February 21, 2018
Women claiming they are having it all as SAHM

Not every woman played with dolls as a child. And claiming women have the corner on nurturing over men is sexist. For these woman to have these viewpoints while in their 30's is troubling, there must be some sort of arrested development going on for them. Did they ever bother to read a history or sociology book? If so, how can they claim the historical norm is for women to stay at home and nurture children?

Before the turn of the century children worked as servants in poorer households and in richer households the moms ran the staff that cared for their kids or sent them to boarding school. The servants nurtured the rich kids and the poor kids worked. They had to make child labor laws in the 30's because kids were being worked to death or injury in factories. And that is just in the US, in many other countries children work at a young age. Until electricity was common there was no such thing as the luxury of a SAHM nor the time to "nurture" kids. If women stayed at home they worked long hours taking care of a house and doing chores because there weren't any appliances powered by electricity to make their lives easier. Many people in my parent's generation had farms and their kids worked on the farms by the time they could walk.
Re: The Retro Moo
February 21, 2018
Even she admits that it's because "women are raised from the get-go to raise children successfully" and "women are conditioned to be more patient with children". It's not innate. One stay-at-home dad puts her in her place in the comments.
February 21, 2018
This is not a feminist household. This is a sexist reversion to a mythical era which, if it existed, only existed for a very short time in the 50s and 60s (and where there was a lot of female suicide, drinking, and depression).

If she makes the choice for herself, it's one thing, but she is stating some very sexist things by claiming that it is somehow universal and innate.

She sounds like a total Stepford Moo.
February 21, 2018
Gee, I wonder why any woman would say "Fuck, no!" to having kids, when that's the kind of picture she presents!
February 21, 2018
I only read the first page before I clicked out.

What a moron. So she lives in NJ. We have good schools and programs here. Her kids would have better off in a high quality preschool program, where they can socialize and learn with other kids their age as well as build up immunity at a young age. She would also have been able to keep her job, tenure, pension and benefits, too.

Have fun funding your kids' college fund on one income drinking coffee

I will never understand these moos who decide to give up everything they worked for at the altar of The Almighty Loaf.

This is the same type of bint who will lament in the coming years how unfair it is that "working mothers" face discrimination in hiring practices.
February 21, 2018
I have only made it to the first page, but I already disagree with this:

In the family’s modest New Jersey home, the bedroom looked like a laundry explosion, and the morning’s breakfast dishes were piled in the sink. But Kelly’s priorities are nothing if not retrograde.

False, false and false. Those of us who grew up with moms in the 50's and 60's such as myself can attest to what life was really like with a "retro mom."

Prior to my father's death in 1970**, my mom stayed home with the kids. She ran a tight ship and her job was to extend the dollars as far as possible, not be a 24/7 entertainment center for a loaf or child. We were expected to pick things up and entertain ourselves to a great extent.

When we went somewhere with her, we were expected to behave in public because anything else was simply not tolerated. I would have never been allowed to act like the feral yard apes I see in public today. My parents had a social life which excluded us and we were not permanently scarred by this experience. There was a parent/child boundary---my mom wasn't our "best friend--" she and my dad were authority figures to be respected. This meant when I entered the work force I could respect an authority figure and do a job, unlike many of the spoiled, I-can't-take-feedback special sneauflakes I encounter in the work force today.

My mom never would never called my dad at work several times a day because that would have indicated she was not competent at her job. One need only look at the lexicon of today when women are passive "stay at home moms." My mom was a homemaker. The kids were part of the family system, not the raison d'etre for the family. And the family functioned with one car, no disposable diapers, no cell phones, one TV, smaller house, no rampant consumer debt, shared bedrooms for the kids and 1/50 of the convenience items of today.

**And by the way, if you want a real lesson in feminism, have your father die when your mom is 33 with no college education, when credit was still in the husband's name, when there are no decent "career opportunities" for women because every woman is to stay at home with brats. Things were starting to change in 1970, but the movement was in its infancy. To my mom's credit, she went back to the labor force and to college but it certainly was not easy for her or the family.

And PUL-EASE, spare me the pseudo-feminist drivel about how it's a "feminist" choice to stay home and raise brats. Staying home and raising brats is a default choice for a woman. Feminism should be about one thing: equal pay for equal work, not equal pay for the personal choice to shit out a brat and demand that nothing change in one's career advancement.

This is why senior citizens like me are pissed at the moos of today: they are staying home, chortling about the *fabulous* job they are doing raising these worthless, coddled little psychopaths who are being lapped by Third World kids who grow up with much less but have a strong work ethic, values and a Hell of a lot more gumption I see in most kids today.

*********** in riled up senior/curmudgeon mode today***************
February 21, 2018
That's the truth, Bell Flower! True retro-moos kept the home clean, had meals on the table and didn't allow the dishes or laundry to pile up. My mother was a single moo, but she worked and raised me on her own without anyone's help. Our apartment was always kept very clean, the meals were modest but nourishing, and I never went to school without my lunch bag. Restaurant meals were a treat, once in awhile, even though there were tons of fast food joints around. I learned how to cook, wash the dishes, do laundry and vacuum because my mother had me help her.

Also, as mentioned in the other thread, my mother wouldn't have allowed me to behave in public the way these kids do. I wouldn't have dreamed of behaving that way, because my mother would have punished me in the worst ways. I was taught how to behave at a young age, and it hasn't hurt me one little bit. She did have serious anger problems and took them out on me frequently, but as an adult, I know the difference between discipline and abuse.

There were very few luxuries that we had, simply because my mother couldn't afford it. We had a small black and white TV which started to die, and all of the people on it ended up looking like coneheads. Instead of buying a new TV, my mother and I just laughed at it because it was funny.
When it finally went, my mother got one of those huge console color TVs from a friend who was buying a new set for herself.

No dishwasher, only common area laundry room, etc. Furnishings were always kept pristine, but they were sparse and old. And she worked hard as a hairdresser. On Saturdays, she took me to work and I helped her with sweeping hair, giving the ladies their magazines under the dryers, and other things. During the week, I was essentially a 'latch key' kid, and had to follow my mother's instructions to a T after coming home from school.

She wasn't my best friend. I already had one of those in Elementary school. I needed a mother, and while mine was far from perfect, she provided me with the basics to raise me.

Every mother may be a woman, buit not every woman is a mother and I think this is where they fall short in their 'feminist' ideals.
February 21, 2018
I noticed that usually privileged bitches blabber about how being a SHAM is the only right way of being a woman. This reminds me of the wife of a famous Finnish hockey player who started throwing shit at working women because the right way to be as a woman is serving your husband and children. That's the only job a woman should have. Easy for you to talk bitch when your husband earns a tone of money, you live in a mansion and have servants.

The rest of women have to work sometimes two jobs to make the ends meet and the husband is not always in the picture from different reasons. And they have to do all the housework and childcare besides that.

I was reading some local studies about women at the end of 19th century, beginning of 20th century whose husbands emigrated to US and never came back. Back then, they had 14 hours workday in the local factory with a break to come home and see how the kids were doing. The kids were raised by older neighbors, siblings or they just managed on their own. Some of the employers had nurseries for very small kids. Not to mention after the two world wars, the widows had to work in order to survive.
February 21, 2018
The moo is batty and ignorant of history.

In addition to the harsh realities of child and woman labor in sweatshops 100 years ago, a simple reality affected almost everybody: until around World War II, many if not most people lived in rural areas. If they weren't actually operating a farm, they at least had farm-type chores, even in some "urban" areas. Without electrical appliances and modern chemicals such as detergents, everyday cleaning and other activities were time-consuming drudgery. If Mom didn't have anything to do in the house, then she was probably outside helping hubby with farm chores, or she was tending a garden. The kids were working alongside her in the field once they got old enough, say, age 6. Mommy didn't have lots of time to spoil the kyds.

Suburbs, and most Americans living in those or urbanized areas, were not common until after the war. Electricity was not common until the 1930s. Only after WWII did women have the kind of time to "nurture" the kids that this moo has. The era of stay-at-home moms with leisure time was a brief moment caused by freak circumstances and is unlikely ever to happen again for most families. I suspect many of today's problems with children date from the changes that happened then.
February 21, 2018
bell_flower

In the family’s modest New Jersey home, the bedroom looked like a laundry explosion, and the morning’s breakfast dishes were piled in the sink. But Kelly’s priorities are nothing if not retrograde.

False, false and false. Those of us who grew up with moms in the 50's and 60's such as myself can attest to what life was really like with a "retro mom."

Prior to my father's death in 1970**, my mom stayed home with the kids. She ran a tight ship and her job was to extend the dollars as far as possible, not be a 24/7 entertainment center for a loaf or child. We were expected to pick things up and entertain ourselves to a great extent.

When we went somewhere with her, we were expected to behave in public because anything else was simply not tolerated. I would have never been allowed to act like the feral yard apes I see in public today. My parents had a social life which excluded us and we were not permanently scarred by this experience. There was a parent/child boundary---my mom wasn't our "best friend--" she and my dad were authority figures to be respected. This meant when I entered the work force I could respect an authority figure and do a job, unlike many of the spoiled, I-can't-take-feedback special sneauflakes I encounter in the work force today.

My mom never would never called my dad at work several times a day because that would have indicated she was not competent at her job. One need only look at the lexicon of today when women are passive "stay at home moms." My mom was a homemaker. The kids were part of the family system, not the raison d'etre for the family. And the family functioned with one car, no disposable diapers, no cell phones, one TV, smaller house, no rampant consumer debt, shared bedrooms for the kids and 1/50 of the convenience items of today.

**And by the way, if you want a real lesson in feminism, have your father die when your mom is 33 with no college education, when credit was still in the husband's name, when there are no decent "career opportunities" for women because every woman is to stay at home with brats. Things were starting to change in 1970, but the movement was in its infancy. To my mom's credit, she went back to the labor force and to college but it certainly was not easy for her or the family.

And PUL-EASE, spare me the pseudo-feminist drivel about how it's a "feminist" choice to stay home and raise brats. Staying home and raising brats is a default choice for a woman. Feminism should be about one thing: equal pay for equal work, not equal pay for the personal choice to shit out a brat and demand that nothing change in one's career advancement.

This is why senior citizens like me are pissed at the moos of today: they are staying home, chortling about the *fabulous* job they are doing raising these worthless, coddled little psychopaths who are being lapped by Third World kids who grow up with much less but have a strong work ethic, values and a Hell of a lot more gumption I see in most kids today.

I'm generation X but my parents were both 'silent generation'.

I don't know how she did it, but Mom raised two unwell children (one with uncontrollable asthma, other with a laundry list of mental issues) and ran a dance studio while coping with an alcoholic husband.

She had danced and taught dance in her early teens and throughout her first marriage. With both parents working, we kids learned to entertain ourselves. Mom did somewhat neglect the chores as the elder, born in 62, was so very often deathly sick. I was very young, born in 68. My autism made my upbringing a tad different too, as my milestones were VERY late. I spoke fluently at 9. We also knew funds were tight, as neither parent made much money.

I learned late to not have scream fits and temper tantrums in public, when I could understand something at all. Earlier, when I'd tantrum, Mom would scoop me up and lug my screaming 4ish butt to the car and put me in my room. Later, I would just go into a corner of wherever we were and rock back and forth as autistics are known for. I would also quietly flick things.

During Reagan's administration, my family lost the home, and Mom and I "sofa surfed" for a few years. It was better than living at my Dad's one room studio apartment where I got lice constantly and was sprayed by the helicopters that were killing Med Flies. Mom met her second husband during this time. We were still suffering, and lived in a half converted blue school bus for a year. I managed to excel scholasticly during this time. No one knew it but I was skipping grades.

Money had never been secure, and we had often to live without. The dollar store Christmas was a thing as was the dollar movies.

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
February 21, 2018
mumofsixbirds
No dishwasher, only common area laundry room, etc. Furnishings were always kept pristine, but they were sparse and old. And she worked hard as a hairdresser. On Saturdays, she took me to work and I helped her with sweeping hair, giving the ladies their magazines under the dryers, and other things. During the week, I was essentially a 'latch key' kid, and had to follow my mother's instructions to a T after coming home from school.

She wasn't my best friend. I already had one of those in Elementary school. I needed a mother, and while mine was far from perfect, she provided me with the basics to raise me.

Every mother may be a woman, buit not every woman is a mother and I think this is where they fall short in their 'feminist' ideals.

I wasn't a latch key kid until my teens. As a child I could not take care of myself because of the Asperger's delays. Mom paid one of her students a few bucks to keep an eyeball on me.

Because of the disability I became extraordinarily close to my mother but that was due to my dependency lasting longer than normal. In late childhood and early teens I started roaming the neighbourhood and making kid friends. During this time Mom was an anchor that I knew would always be there.

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
February 21, 2018
bell_flower

It was the same way in my house. My mother gave up an opera and Hollywood career for us, and we were always reminded of what she gave up to have us. She stayed home and cooked most everything from scratch, even soup stock. We were raised on cloth diapers and home-made baby food. My father worked long hours and traveled extensively for his job. Mom took care of the inside and outside of the house. That meant snow shoveling, and even laying underground pipes when my father and her did home improvement projects themselves. The house was always clean and we were given hell if we made a mess.

There was only one car in the family that my father used for work, so if I missed the school bus, I had to walk 2 miles. I never missed that bus. Mom was stuck at home every day.

We were taught to use hand tools at a young age by my father. At 12, he showed us how to mow the lawn and from then on, he never mowed or trimmed anything outside. The kids mowed the lawn, trimmed the hedges, pulled weeds, and shoveled snow. We were the only girls on the block who could use hand tools AND knew how to use a needle and thread.

When my mother was little, she lived in a major American city. Outside the city was all farms. Grandma and Grandpa would contact farmers to bring in large quantities of fruits and vegetables to the house. My mother and her siblings would spend every day, all day, 12 hours every day home canning fruits and vegetables for the winter with Grandma, because before WW2 there were no fancy grocery stores. Being immigrants, they were poor, so if they wanted to eat in the winter, they had to home can everything in glass jars. Mom taught me how to make jams, preserves and home can, and now I do the same with my garden produce.

We went to a restaurant in NYC once a year for my mother's birthday.

These moos don't know what retrograde is.
February 22, 2018
bell_flower

Amen. Feminism is about equal treatment and choices for both genders. A decision isn't automatically feminist just because it's made by a woman.
February 22, 2018
Peace

At 12, he showed us how to mow the lawn and from then on, he never mowed or trimmed anything outside. The kids mowed the lawn, trimmed the hedges, pulled weeds, and shoveled snow. We were the only girls on the block who could use hand tools AND knew how to use a needle and thread.

I haven't seen a teen mow a lawn in over 15 yrs. (I think my nephew does it now for SIL as she's divorced, but he's in college now. IDK why she doesnt do it, it's great exercise and she's all into aerobics and staying fit and that shit. That's what I tell myself when I'm sweating my ass off doing my lawn.) I've maybe seen 3 teens shoveling snow once in a awhile in that time period. One boy I saw shoveling in those lo-cut athletic socks. Doesn't even know how to dress for the weather while shoveling. My female moo-friends won't let their husbands put the kids to work. "we should do it as a family, not slave labor" Always the dramatic w/ moos. My male dud-friends confirm this, wives won't have teen/college kids do any household work, even baby-sitting, nothing. My one male friend had his 23 yr old daughter rake the leaves in his yard, and she complained about it in her blog.

I dont know how the real retro moms did it, it seems like they did ten times as much and complained ten time less.
February 22, 2018
cfuter
I dont know how the real retro moms did it, it seems like they did ten times as much and complained ten time less.

Because women had few options. Discrimination in the workforce was a real thing. Women couldn't get credit cards, bank accounts, or home loans in their own name. Most women didn't go to college then, around 5% of women nationwide had a college degree**. Abortion was illegal, and for a long while, so was birth control. When you have few options, marriage meant economic survival, even if the man was a piece of shit. Most of America was still rural, or small towns. So you put up, and shut up.

As an aside, all those post WW2 convenience foods were considered luxuries when they first came out, such as canned vegetables.

**https://www.statista.com/statistics/184272/educational-attainment-of-college-diploma-or-higher-by-gender/
February 23, 2018
bell_flower

*********** in riled up senior/curmu dgeon mode today***************

I will never understand how some women can shit all over the rights that we as women enjoy today because those before us were willing to stick their necks out and fight to be treated like goddamn human beings. I bought a house on my own over 5 years ago. I almost started bawling when I saw the last page of the closing documents. A transfer of property from one single woman to another. I am tearing up thinking about it. It wasn't too long ago that we WERE property. And the house I bought was built the year we won the right to vote. The significance of all this is not lost on me. I will be eternally grateful for real feminism and I just cannot understand the women that want to roll back those gains not just for themselves, but for the damned rest of us.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login