Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Dog bites kid after owner told kid not to touch the dog

Posted by tea princess 
Dog bites kid after owner told kid not to touch the dog
February 23, 2018
Dog bites six year old girl on plane. Of course the dog and its owner had to leave the plane, of course it's the dog's fault, of course "oooh poor kid, she's only six and likes dogs". While I agree that this "emotional support animal" thing has gone too far, kids are still more of a nuisance on flights.
Re: Dog bites kid after owner told kid not to touch the dog
February 23, 2018
It doesn't sound as if the dog intentionally hurt the kid. It also seems that the kid had fair warning and was told not to approach the dog.

While I wouldn't bring my birds on a plane, I've had to tell people that they do bite and to be very careful not to get too close until they get to know them. Most people look at Conner's beak and realize that he can do a lot of damage, so they tend to listen. I also tell people to wait until he approaches them, because that's his way of socializing and introducing himself. If a stranger or kid decided to ignore my warnings, they will get bitten, and painfully so. So far, so good. Nothing has ever happened.

I agree that some animals who are considered support animals are getting through under the wire, and a poorly behaved animal on a plane can be a problem, but it seems here that everything was done correctly. The only people at fault are the kid's breeders, who haven't taught her to respect strange animals and warn her of the dangers.
February 23, 2018
Yeah, the "emotional support animal" title is being abused right and left, and any asshole can purchase a service animal vest on Amazon. And for that reason, airlines are moving away from allowing emotional support animals on planes. I've seen ill-behaved animals who clearly had zero training being toted around as emotional support in grocery stores, bars, restaurants, and other places.

If I had a bitey dog, I wouldn't take it on a plane. But also, kids need to fucking follow directions. If someone says stay away from (animal, situation, bundle of TNT, whatever), they need to fucking do that. Dogs don't just bite out of the blue. They tell you loud and clear with body language...and the dog's handler TOLD the kid to stay back.
February 24, 2018
If we assume that the dog was a legitimate service animal...people need to recognize that they are not pets. No one is supposed to mess with a service dog when they're "on duty." It can distract the animal with life-threatening consequences. More people need to be told this, because even when the animal's vest states not to approach, they clearly don't read it.
February 25, 2018
Oddly enough, I'm with the breeders on this one. No one should bring a large, reactive, untrained dog on an airplane. There's too many people, too many noises and too much general stress for an animal. A six year old kid traveling with her parents shouldn't have to be an expert on dog body language or risk having her face ripped off.

I'm also sick and tired of these fools abusing the service animal provision of the ADA. Emotional support animals are not covered, period. At the very least, dogs should be required to wear a muzzle.
February 26, 2018
I hate both sides in this debate. Yes, children should learn to follow instructions with regard to touching animals.

But I am so fucking sick of this emotional support bullshit as an excuse for poorly trained animals running rampant with no consideration for people who are allergic to or who have been traumatized by bad experiences with animals. What about our health? (I'm in team allergy.) Service animals are one thing, someone who is blind or has seizures is arguably in a worse situation than me. I've never seen service animals jumping all over people, making lots of noise, peeing in shops, and otherwise being unsanitary nuisances. The same cannot be said for emotional support animals, which have no standards of training or behavior.

If some fucking snowflake is so emotionally fragile that they can't handle the most basic tasks in life without an animal in tow, they should probably be institutionalized. If this were a medical condition, it would require a proper diagnosis and animals trained for the function, not people deciding they have a condition and choosing their own treatment. But that would ruin things for the people who currently use the emotional support animal option, who are effectively entitled assholes who just think the rules shouldn't apply to them. They like being around animals, so why shouldn't animals be everywhere?

Much like breeders, it's always about them, not about the well-being of the child/animal or the people around them.

This story is just breeder v breeder to me.
February 26, 2018
Case to point of what I was just saying... Warning. Story of animal abuse. Highlight it if you want to read it.

The other week I read a story about a woman who had planned to fly but discovered the airline didn't allow emotional support animals. She had a dwarf hamster. She claims she was given wrong information and she had asked in advance, but while that is a valid reason for filing a complaint it is no justification for what subsequently happened. She "had" to fly, so she flushed the hamster down the toilet!

Okay, so clearly she is a fucking nutcase, but equally clearly, she is not someone who should ever be allowed to have an animal ever again! A normal person, upon hearing that a beloved animal is not allowed on a flight, would reconsider their need to be on the flight. Someone with the slightest love of an animal would only decide to kill the animal if it was best for the animal, not if it was best for the person.

And having determined on the course of action of killing the animal, anyone with empathy and knowledge of animal care would pick a painless method. Where an injection from a vet is not an option, there are quick and there are not so quick methods. Breaking the hamster's neck would be quick. Flushing it down a toilet is horrific.

I hope this woman will be charged with animal abuse, but it seems unlikely. She's currently crying poor me about what the mean airline made her do, when what she did is something only an unhinged person who should be kept far away from animals would have done. If she isn't charged, and public pressure paints the airline as the bad guys here, it will be absolute proof that this whole emotional support animal thing is bullshit and completely out of control.
February 26, 2018
The last one was most assuredly NOT an emotional support animal or she would not have done what she did, and ran out and bought a new one the next day.

Rodents are never allowed per nearly every airline out there. However, unless you are attention whoring, you can probably sneak one in your purse.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
From a bottle cap message on a Magic Hat #9 beer: Condoms Prevent Minivans
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I want to pick up a bus full of unruly kids and feed them gummi bears and crack, then turn them loose in Hobby Lobby to ransack the place. They will all be wearing T shirts that say "You Could Have Prevented This."
February 28, 2018
mumofsixbirds
It doesn't sound as if the dog intentionally hurt the kid. It also seems that the kid had fair warning and was told not to approach the dog.

While I wouldn't bring my birds on a plane, I've had to tell people that they do bite and to be very careful not to get too close until they get to know them. Most people look at Conner's beak and realize that he can do a lot of damage, so they tend to listen. I also tell people to wait until he approaches them, because that's his way of socializing and introducing himself. If a stranger or kid decided to ignore my warnings, they will get bitten, and painfully so. So far, so good. Nothing has ever happened.

I agree that some animals who are considered support animals are getting through under the wire, and a poorly behaved animal on a plane can be a problem, but it seems here that everything was done correctly. The only people at fault are the kid's breeders, who haven't taught her to respect strange animals and warn her of the dangers.

You aren't kidding about bird bites. When i was a kid i had a cockatiel, she was just playing but she was on my nannys shoulder and ripped the diamond right out of her earing

And cockaTOOS, well they have beaks that are meant to chew through wood in the wild.

Bird beaks are not to be trifled with!
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login