Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Article: moo makes daughter invite entire class to her birthday

Posted by freya 
Article: moo makes daughter invite entire class to her birthday
March 05, 2018
Why moo makes daughter invite her entire class to her birthday

She thinks her daughter inviting the entire class to her birthday at 7 years old means she won't be raising a mean girl.
Once again, parents are forgetting their children will either be mean or the victims of mean. And probably both many times. And even at the age of 7 there are some kids who other kids don't want to be around or attend their parties or invite them.
For all this moo knows some of her daughter's classmates may already be mean to her and instead of running to moo she is handling it.

How about teaching her to be nice to everyone and also how to establish boundaries? Seems like a more important life less on than forcing everyone to be included, it isn't realistic.

If her daughter leaves someone off of the invite list then it might make sense for her to see what happens to the friendship.
Re: Article: moo makes daughter invite entire class to her birthday
March 06, 2018
She bitches about how she has to watch 20 plus children at a trampoline place because...well...their parents just drop them off. But where is the little princess's father through all of this? Or is he just the wallet?
March 06, 2018
I taught elementary school music for more than a decade. Forcing your kid to invite everyone in their class is a terrible idea.

Every class has at least one - whether it's the kid that's just a run of the mill a-hole, or the spec ed kid that gets violent when he doesn't get his way, or the disturbed kid that even the teachers are afraid of. How about if your kid tells you that she doesn't want to invite someone, ask her why? Maybe she's just being a brat, sure, but maybe she has a good reason.

But if you did that, you wouldn't be able to post a blog on the internet telling everyone how enlightened you are.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________
"Not every ejaculation deserves a name" - George Carlin
freya

How about teaching her to be nice to everyone and also how to establish boundaries? Seems like a more important life less on than forcing everyone to be included, it isn't realistic.

If her daughter leaves someone off of the invite list then it might make sense for her to see what happens to the friendship.

I read the article and wondered what exactly the lesson was? I assume it was what the last line indicated (a perceived act of kindness).

I hesitate to concede that this act of kindness is what actually happened. As a youngster, I would not want to be invited to a party in which I was not wanted. If I found out that I was invited due to an authoritative mandate or out of pity, that would be quite a letdown. I'd feel like a loser.
March 07, 2018
StudioFiftyFour
freya

I read the article and wondered what exactly the lesson was? I assume it was what the last line indicated (a perceived act of kindness).

I hesitate to concede that this act of kindness is what actually happened. As a youngster, I would not want to be invited to a party in which I was not wanted. If I found out that I was invited due to an authoritative mandate or out of pity, that would be quite a letdown. I'd feel like a loser.

Exactly, I recall as a kid being told by other kids that this kid or that kid was invited to a party because the mom or dad made the kid extend the invite. I'd also rather not be invited out of obligation and have other people at the party aware of this.
March 09, 2018
freya
StudioFiftyFour
freya

If her daughter leaves someone off of the invite list then it might make sense for her to see what happens to the friendsh

Exactly, I recall as a kid being told by other kids that this kid or that kid was invited to a party because the mom or dad made the kid extend the invite. I'd also rather not be invited out of obligation and have other people at the party aware of this.

I was the fat kid as a child therefore was picked on. I KNEW when i was invited out of obligation or because the kids parents made them. I did NOT want to go because i knew i wasnt wanted, and that id only be bullied further, but was forced to go because my parents believed it would help me be "more social.", victims fault exhibit A
March 11, 2018
I was never made to invite kids I didn't want or whole classes to parties, my mother let me invite my closest 5 or 6 friends. When I was in 2nd grade I accidentally invited a kid to my birthday party. I wanted to ask a handful of kids in my class, plus a cousin who had the same name as the kid in my class I accidentally invited. My mother wrote up the invitations and I accidentally took the cousin's invitation to school and the girl saw me handing them out to the other kids and saw the envelope with her name on in, thinking it was for her. She was the class misfit and while I got along with her and didn't participate in any bullying or teasing, I did try to distance myself from her so as to fit in with the other kids and not end up being picked on too. When she took the invitation with her name on it, I didn't have the heart to say it wasn't meant for her so she came to the party and the other kids were playing "operator" and making stuff up about and "passing it on". I felt pretty bad about it. I did like her to a degree, I just didn't want her at my birthday party
My parents wouldn't have even wanted my entire class at their house, let alone encouraged it. (Mom was a teacher, and likely preferred avoiding others' children when not at work. I seem to have inherited that, too). We didn't do birthday parties much, but the couple/three times I wanted one, the parents let me invite 8 kids max.

I don't get why a teacher would want to make his/her life more complicated by mandating the "must invite the entire class". That's ridiculous. There are so many other ways to get kids to meet others and be nice to them. My students know that if they're handing out something and it's not for everyone, just stick it in the kids' mailboxes, and the recipients will scoop it into their go-home folder. They don't have time to read invitations before we head out anyway. I've never had a parent complain. I've had some ask if I require inviting everyone, though, so there must be other teachers who do that.
March 14, 2018
My parents did something like this to me once, not only making me have the whole class over, but planning a party I didn't want.

My mother asked me if I wanted to have a swimming party for my class and I said no, but my mother then called the homeroom teacher and started setting it up. When the day came, I didn't participate, which really got to her, along with a few other small things I did. She never tried to force me to have a party again, which suited me fine. I was told I could only have a party if it was to be a swimming party because since we had a pool, there was no other reason to invite anyone over except to swim. I didn't like parties anyway, so that suited me just fine.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login