Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Boomerange children damage parental wellbeing

Posted by yurble 
Re: Boomerange children damage parental wellbeing
April 19, 2018
JoJo
I saw that on Reddit. Of course, it was on the r/lostgeneration sub where the heading was "greedy boomers snap up all the housing and resent offspring for living at home". I'm sick and tired of the millenniels whining about the evil baby boomers, and how good they had it. Yeah right, try growing up during the cold war and being told that the world could blow up any day or facing the draft.[/oldfogeyrant]

Wish they had some way to upvote you. I'm so tired of the near constant boomer-bashing and whining of millennials.
April 19, 2018
I've worked with all ages of people who can only do something if there is a document which gives them a process to follow. While it is good to have some sort of documentation initially to know where to go, etc., the nature of work I do doesn't fit neatly in a box. It really isn't one of those "wait until someone with authority tells you to do something then do it otherwise surf the web" type of positions. There is an overwhelming amount of information to be learned and understood if one is willing to delve into it but no one is going to make someone else do so.

I've literally seen people shut down, cry or suffer panic attacks when there wasn't some clear process waiting for them and many were well compensated and had lots of experience.

The news grossly overgeneralizes each generation. The boomers are at the age where they are statistically overall the wealthiest due to work experience, etc. and I think the most disadvantaged group (millennials) probably harbor lots of anger about this. They're often poor due to lack of work experience and see the boomers with their nice cars, houses and vacations. Most of us experienced being poor and disillusioned while in our 20's.
April 23, 2018
freya
I've worked with all ages of people who can only do something if there is a document which gives them a process to follow. While it is good to have some sort of documentation initially to know where to go, etc., the nature of work I do doesn't fit neatly in a box. It really isn't one of those "wait until someone with authority tells you to do something then do it otherwise surf the web" type of positions. There is an overwhelming amount of information to be learned and understood if one is willing to delve into it but no one is going to make someone else do so.

I've literally seen people shut down, cry or suffer panic attacks when there wasn't some clear process waiting for them and many were well compensated and had lots of experience.

The news grossly overgeneralizes each generation. The boomers are at the age where they are statistically overall the wealthiest due to work experience, etc. and I think the most disadvantaged group (millennials) probably harbor lots of anger about this. They're often poor due to lack of work experience and see the boomers with their nice cars, houses and vacations. Most of us experienced being poor and disillusioned while in our 20's.

Yes, it never seems to occur to the millennial whiners that the reason the boomers have so much more is that they've been in the workforce for 40-50 years. We sure the hell didn't start out with anything. My first apartment was half of a converted basement, with my childhood bedroom set, a set of glasses my mother got from a bank, my parent's ancient black and white 12 inch TV, a loveseat from Ikea and the card table. It took me until I was 42 to buy a house, and another 10 years to furnish it.
April 23, 2018
Your first place sounds a lot like my first place! Add in a roommate and a fridge in the hall because there was literally no kitchen, and that's where I lived. I've been an apartment dweller my whole life until I moved into something a bit bigger, got married, and now we have a modest house on a large piece of land. I'm going to be 50 this year.

I certainly never would have expected to have things handed to me magically in my youth, and my mother and I were quite poor. I had to take my bedroom furnishings, an old 12 inch black and white TV and my cheap stereo that I bought when I was working at the Pancake House.

From there, things got a bit better, but it was a slow climb to home ownership.
April 23, 2018
The economy is very different from when Boomers came forth. In the Boomer's day, a minimum wage job could rent an apartment probably with a roommate. Today you can't get that. There is no such thing as a secure job.

+++++++++++++

Passive Aggressive
Master Of Anti-brat
Excuses!
April 23, 2018
craftyzits
The economy is very different from when Boomers came forth. In the Boomer's day, a minimum wage job could rent an apartment probably with a roommate. Today you can't get that. There is no such thing as a secure job.

I'm Generation X and it was no different for me. Work at least 55 hours (2 jobs) to live in a crappy efficiency and try desperately to keep your crappy car maintained to keep your crappy jobs. You have no ability to cover another person if you're making minimum wage, if your roommate quits a job or drives up a bill you are screwed. Twenty somethings aren't exactly known for being dependable and if things get rough they are likely to bail even if they caused their own dilemma. Not sure about the Boomers but I'd guess it wasn't much different for them.
April 23, 2018
If kids are so great with technology why do they all insist on iphones? They're very easy to use but a technology guru could figure out any phone!
April 30, 2018
I'd like to see one of the millennial technical wizards do a spreadsheet in the old Lotus 1-2-3, you know, the one where you had to create your own formulas.
April 30, 2018
JoJo
I'd like to see one of the millennial technical wizards do a spreadsheet in the old Lotus 1-2-3, you know, the one where you had to create your own formulas.

I remember those! grinning smiley

Remember when every program was a manual install, even in the registry, and you did an manual FTP to download a file? I work with many millennials and Gen Z people, and they're the most computer illiterate people I know. They can run the machine and software, but they don't understand how the system works from the inside, so they're completely clueless when something crashes. This old lady is the one they quietly ask to fix something when it gets buggy, and the tech admins aren't in the building.
May 08, 2018
So the latest idiotic proposal in the UK, coming from a "thinktank", is that the government ought to award each person with 10,000 pounds when they turn 25. This would be paid for through higher inheritance taxes. Supposedly this would help address inequalities in opportunities between boomers and millennials.

Funny how it doesn't take all that much thinking to expose the flaws in this plan. Like what about Gen X, who will be effectively screwed: too old for the windfall, not old enough to have already inherited.

I imagine this is how working people felt when social security was implemented and provided to generations who hadn't paid into it, except in their case they could at least anticipate eventually getting paid back, when they themselves retired. This scheme, on the other hand, is just daft. Maybe if they limited it to people who received the windfall would face the extra inheritance tax, it would be a way of redistributing money (on a cohort level) from people when they are older and inherit, to when they are younger and could potentially make better use of the money (the scheme limits the spending to education, home ownership, and starting a business - so you're forced to spend it as the government thinks you ought). But as it is, it is obviously unfair to the generation in the middle.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login